1/12 Tamiya Bimota Tesi 1D

Pappy

You are doing a great job on this. I had the same problem with the front brake and ended up breaking a part. Glad you had more luck. I also broke the hanger bracket fir the exhaust so watch that one too. For such a complicated front end it seemed to go together really well. You may want to try stretched heatshrink tube for the brake lines etc. The tamiya tube is waàaay too thick.a bit of braided hose on the shocks and rad looks good too.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

G'day people,

The frame is finally together, it went together without any hassles,

54_zpsbc2444dd.jpg

55_zps02cbd36a.jpg

56_zpsb11468e0.jpg

Next up, it was time for the donk to be installed,

58_zps5782e755.jpg

60_zps48b53057.jpg

61_zps6bc8fa90.jpg

My left sub frame modification seemed to do the trick and I think I have gotten away with my earlier stuff up!

62_zpsa497ad15.jpg

The engine is trapped between the two sub frames, and further secured using four small screws (provided in the kit). I had no problem installing three of the screws however I had a little trouble installing the fourth screw (it's always the last one isn't it!) so I ended up backing off the other three retaining screws so that the engine had a little play. This seemed to do the trick and once the fourth screw started to 'bite', all four were nipped up.

Cheers,

Pappy

I just need to do a few touch ups where the paint was scratched and the rolling chassis will nearly be complete.

Excellent work Pappy, looks almost real. I've been looking at Tamiya's cross head screws, they look totally out of place on a bike kit but what would be a suitable replacement? I've invested in some hex rod ( vatious sizes) from EMA Model Supplies in the UK, a sliver droped on top the the screw head looks quite good. On the other hand if Tamiya got it's act together they could produce hex nuts and small nut driver.

Colin

This is coming along really nicely Pappy, you might just convince me to add this to my stash :)

Keep it up mate

Draz

G'day Draz,

Thanks mate, you should totally get one, this is a sweet kit.

Excellent work Pappy, looks almost real. I've been looking at Tamiya's cross head screws, they look totally out of place on a bike kit but what would be a suitable replacement? I've invested in some hex rod ( vatious sizes) from EMA Model Supplies in the UK, a sliver droped on top the the screw head looks quite good. On the other hand if Tamiya got it's act together they could produce hex nuts and small nut driver.

Colin

G'day Colin,

Thanks very much. To be honest, they usually are not that much of a problem as there are not too many of them, however this particular kit seems to have an abundance of them due to the replication of the steering geometry. There are lots of PE hex fasteners around in various sized made by the likes of Studio 27 and Acustion, Model Factory Hero etc, but to be accurate you would need a range of sizes and this will mean that the cost of the kit would quickly escalate. I don't know about you but I am certainly not made of money!

If Tamiya wanted to be really clever, perhaps they could retain the screws (which do an excellent job btw) but engineer their kits so that a plastic hex nut/fastener etc is glued over the top once the screw is installed. I have seen this already in some of their more recent MotoGP bike kits in regards to the handlebar attaching hardware.

G'day people,

Another milestone today, the front end is complete and fitted.

71_zpsc45f0baa.jpg

The steering works and although it looks a little eccentric, the action is smooth and seeing all the steering parts moving is a joy to watch.

72_zps462466ce.jpg

73_zps70c56c3c.jpg

74_zps07282297.jpg

75_zps74a99e46.jpg

76_zps740c8aa8.jpg

I am starting to get to the stage where only the bodywork remains (shudders) so I started easing into it by completing the rear mudguard assembly

77_zpsb82d6815.jpg

78_zps4ba7c094.jpg

I don't want to fit the rear swing arm assembly until the 'zorsts are installed. As mentioned in an earlier post, I didn't like the voids moulded into them and decided to fill them using 2-part epoxy putty. I have been beavering away at these and this is where I am up to,

68_zpsad3da11d.jpg

The rear pipes also needed to have their mould seams eliminated and they also had a few ejection pin marks that needed attention,

70_zps91be1bbf.jpg

Finally, the muffler openings were not quite round and looked a little chunky so they also got a little attention,

69_zps45241e69.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments fellas.

G'day people,

Just a small update today,

I am going to try and get the 'zorsts assembled as a single assembly and then fit them after they are painted up. This may end in tears!

81_zps35579927.jpg

Once these have cured I will glue on the rear cylinder pipes. Meanwhile the front cowl has had a few coats of gloss white applied,

79_zps3b8ff243.jpg

80_zpsb88c76ac.jpg

I am waiting for the paint to cure before moving on to picking out the details, I hate gloss paints!

cheers,

Pappy

try test fitting the exhausts first, im not sure (bad memory) but i think i found the path to the rear cylinders too convoluted to do it as one assembly once the engine and rear shock etc were fitted. i didnt try positioning the exhaust and then fitting the engine to meet it though, im not even sure that would be possible. ill be interested to see if you can figure it out , i gave up. (it was only my third bike though)

90_zps56f7e9f6.jpg

G'day people,

I am still tinkering with the 'zorsts. I had glued the front two pipes together whilst they sat on the bike, then carefully removed them.

81_zps35579927.jpg

I then glued the rear cylinder pipes onto the front set and let the whole lot dry. The problem is that when I tried to get the locating pins of the rear pipes to fit into their locating holes, they resisted because the position of the front pipes naturally forces them apart.

82_zps7a5742ca.jpg

I was scratching my head for some time whilst thinking about how to get it all to fit when the front glue joint failed. At this moment I had an epiphany, that connecting bit doesn't exist on the real bike, so why does it need to be there on the kit?

I sanded off these bits

83_zps32da84a4.jpg

Dry fitting was promising!

84_zps4ab00188.jpg

85_zpsfefacdce.jpg

86_zps89fbdbe7.jpg

I couldn't resist temp fitting the back end

88_zps0a80e288.jpg

87_zpsd15b0175.jpg

Finally starting to look like a bike!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

• 4 weeks later...

G'day people,

A small update today.

The 'zorsts have been primed in anticipation of painting,

001_zpsfsvt3erb.jpg

002_zpsylyywvzm.jpg

003_zpsbnlkpvy3.jpg

Still a few spots to neaten up but they are getting there.

In the meantime, work has begun on the front cowling,

93_zps7sqqmz3v.jpg

92_zpsdjnfyutx.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Whilst I am waiting for the putty on the 'zorsts to harden, I started work on the main cowls.

The insides of these have lots of unsightly ejector pin marks. They will most likely not be seen if the cowls are fitted but I didn't want to take the chance. I brushed over the holes with severalk applications of sprue glue mix. Once this had fully dried (I usually give it a few days) the excess was sanded away.

This worked beautifully, the mixture feathered into the plastic and sanded easily

100_zpsqqivsd9q.jpg

The left cowl needed no additional application.

97_zpstfr54a2l.jpg

The right cowl however had a few minor low spots so rather than wait a few more days, a liberal application of Mr Surfacer 500 was applied and sanded back

99_zpssiddpw9d.jpg

A nice result!

cheers,

Pappy

• 2 weeks later...

Donk = Donkey = Engine. :thumbsup2:

Ah right, thank you. It all makes sense now. I'd already ruled out a female with a large butt and a 71-76 chevy Impala or Caprice that sits on 22 to 26 inch rims the higher the better. :winkgrin:

• 3 weeks later...

G'day people,

I spent today playing around with the 'zorsts. I bought some teensy, tiny springs to add to the 'zorsts but had to psych myself up to complete the task. I eventually took the plunge and this is the result,

031_zpsshqk1z7v.jpg

The hardest past was making eight similar ( won't say identical!) attachment brackets from thin copper wire. One these were glued in place, I was able to snap on the springs. A drop of CA secured everything once everything was in situ.

032_zpskele4bha.jpg

034_zpsvknsf3c5.jpg

Unfortunately, just when I was especially pleased with myself, one of the mufflers managed to land in a puddle of CA that I had been using. Once the blood pressure had returned to normal, I sanded off the offending blob,

033_zpsy2wohvrp.jpg

Painting tomorrow,

cheers,

Pappy

Well done with the springs Pappy, not very easy at all in 12th scale. I did it once in 9th, drove me bananas but I made the springs as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin