1/12 Tamiya Bimota Tesi 1D

Pappy

G'day people,

It has been a little while since I have had the opportunity to play with plastic and I was feeling a little rusty. Rather than trying to pick up where I left off on an already started projo, I pulled this kit out of the stash.

I have always loved the crazy geometry of the Tesi and Tamiya have done a great job with all the details (as usual) so this looks like a lot of fun.

First up naturally was the donk, which in the case of the Tesi happens to be a Ducati mill.

013_zps011f658f.jpg

014_zps89ecebe7.jpg

015_zps469748a6.jpg

016_zpsd36739cb.jpg

All stock so far.

I have also started working on various other bits out of sequence. I tend to work on bike parts according to colour groups, which is a little weird but it works for me. The main thing to remember when working out of sequence is to make sure you don't snooker yourself by doing something which will interfere with the assembly sequence later - like I did! I attached the silver cooling pipe to the left outer crankcase half before the motor is installed into the left sub frame.

013_zps011f658f.jpg

I solved my (self induced!) problem by modifying the left sub frame. The left sub frame is the lower item with the front shock unit already attached. The cooling pipe fits into the slot after the engine is installed between the sub frames, which are suspended from the tubular upper frame. The end of the slot was originally closed off and there is a hole that the cooling pipe passes through. I cut off the end of the slot to make it open ended. I don't think it will be too noticeable as the closed end was underneath the cooling hose to begin with so fingers crossed....

021_zps83b87fc6.jpg

Wheels are always good to work on because they are completely separate units so even I shouldn't stuff these up, hopefully. I have started to drill out the lightening/cooling holes in the disc units.

028_zps0ca0d4f7.jpg

I think it makes a big difference for only about 20 mins work. Compare the two front discs for example,

029_zps18806431.jpg

Well, that is all for now,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 3

Great start Pappy, these Tamiya bike kits are great aren't they.

Excellent Pappy!!!!!

The Tesi is a fantastic kit...

Welcome to the mad bike builders club...

Steve

Thanks fellas, there seems to be a rise in the popularity of bike builds of late! Tamiya bike kits are great, as a base for a super detail job or just OOB,

Very nice work, love the donk.

Who could resist such a pretty lump of metal

Hey Pappy, welcome back, it's been a while. Nice choice of kit, I'l follow your build with interest.

Colin

Glad to be back Colin, I will try not to bore you too much.

Well a little more progress, as a few more sub assemblies are now complete.

020_zps66b7bc73.jpg

First up, the engine sub frames,

019_zps1de349e9.jpg

All the steering linkages and rear shock unit

022_zpsfdfb42f8.jpg

023_zpsd0f236c1.jpg

Final drive chain

024_zpsc1021d01.jpg

And the bit wot keeps the motor cool,

026_zps59996028.jpg

027_zps895e7043.jpg

I have moved onto the cowls. The side and main cowls are one piece items and apart from a few ejector pin holes and mould seams, require no more work than to rub back their mould lines. The front cowl on the other hand is a little more work. Comprising two main parts, the fit is a little lacking.

017_zps21bd63c1.jpg

018_zps4071625e.jpg

I have applied thick 'sprue glue' as the cowls are basically white and using (Tamiya grey) putty would require the use of a primer coat. I am hoping that I can get away with a matt white coat followed by gloss white. Grey putty tends to show through these lighter colours. Sprue glue sands readily and will be fairly colourless when it it is dry. That's the theory anyway.

I hate glosses....

• Like 3

G'day folks,

A little more progress today. The hard graft was begun today which involved filling the large voids in both the front and rear swing arm units.

007_zps3bfeeab2.jpg

To be honest, the voids are not really noticeable unless you look underneath or get very close and look at the right angle, but I knew it would bother me so....

The rear swing arm was filled using a combination of plastic styrene sections and 2-part epoxy putty,

004_zpsc19cba46.jpg

The front was a bit gappy and this was shimmed with plastic card

005_zps2f4743a7.jpg

The front unit was filled with a combination of styrene stock and standard putty,

003_zps13ffd29d.jpg

002_zps63784354.jpg

002_zps63784354.jpg

The exhaust units also had their voids filled with the epoxy putty,

012_zpscc2a19c3.jpg

These will still need some more work before they are ready fro priming. Meanwhile, the mudguard unit has been assembled and painted and now awaits its license plate decal.

008_zpsc64b89f8.jpg

009_zpse73ad2c7.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Looking good Pappy, yes one of those things that needs attention gaping swing arms. They do look much better filled.

Colin

G'day Colin,

Preaching to the choir but I couldn't let these go. It does add extra time and difficulty to a build. It is a little disappointing that Tamiya don't include blanking parts for these areas in their newer kits. Perhaps with Hasegawa and Fujimi now taking an interest in 1/12 bikes, Tamiya may up the ante again?

Hiya Pappy...

Excellento man!!!

I love the Bimota and such a pity that all that excellent detail is hidden under the bodywork.

100's

Steve

G'day Steve

Thanks very much. I plan on adding the main and front cowlings, but the side cowls will most likely stay off, the internals are too pretty to stay hidden. I wish that the airbox and engine management computer were included though as these would be visible if you were to peek under the main cowl, but I am being a little picky now I suppose,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

Looks excellent. All the work you're putting into it is paying off. That drilling the front disc makes a massive difference..!!

Cheers Steve,

I have to agree. It only took about 10 minutes a disc, so not a bad return for the time spent.

I have finally got the (upper) tubular frame together. The parts fit reasonably well but it will need a little cleaning up around the steering head where the two halves meet.

002_zps16d9fb19.jpg

There are lots of little nooks and crannies where mould seams like to hide so it was a bit time consuming (not to mention fiddly!) cleaning them all up so I was glad to get this task out of the way.

001_zpsd73cce70.jpg

Meanwhile the two swing arms were sanded and primed. Most of the seams/filling were good but there are still a few small blemishes that need attention.

005_zps50c22a01.jpg

006_zps6ceb02e5.jpg

Whilst the filler was drying, I sprayed the front brake assembly mounts and picked out the brake details.

007_zpsf19c82ed.jpg

The front mudguard and rear hugger were also sprayed up.

009_zps6f1fd06e.jpg

There are a few bits of dust that have found their way into the mudguard and will need to be buffed out (sigh) I hate glosses!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

Nice work Pappy!

I picked this kit up about 2 years ago, & keep meaning to start a build log (BuLog?!?!) here on BM, but i'm just too lazy in all honesty, & there a FAR more on here with FAR more talent than i flying the flag for Bike building....

What colour you thinkin' of for the bodywork?

Nice work Pappy!

I picked this kit up about 2 years ago, & keep meaning to start a build log (BuLog?!?!) here on BM, but i'm just too lazy in all honesty, & there a FAR more on here with FAR more talent than i flying the flag for Bike building....

What colour you thinkin' of for the bodywork?

G'day prowler,

I wouldn't let that stop you, the more the merrier! There seem to be few instances of multiple builds of the same subject in quite a few forums

Nice detail work, especially the linkages! Always had a soft spot for Bimotas and Spondons!

cheers Jockster

The gloss looks good, it will polish up beautifully. What paint are you using..??

G'day Steve,

I am using Tamiya rattle can lacquers decanted and sprayed via airbrush

G'day people,

I worked on the frame and swing arms today.

The frame was given two coats of gloss red, buffing gently between coats,

30_zpsa603a10b.jpg

31_zpsa77c400f.jpg

32_zps86e6c69c.jpg

And the front and rear swing arms were given their top coats,

35_zps9cb687de.jpg

36_zpsb198c9a6.jpg

Finally, the rear swing arm with the rear hugger temp fitted,

37_zpsa801725b.jpg

38_zps7cc6e963.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

Cracking work going on here. Inspiring stuff.

Always wanted to convert this kit into the reshaped Special Edition but never yet plucked up the courage to mould a new fairing.

Great job so far Pappy, looking really good. How is the kit? I cant decide wether I like the actual bike or not haha :banghead:

Draz

G'day Draz,

Thanks very much. the kit is going together very easily (as is to be expected of the big 'T'), with only a few niggly points. The fit of the two front cowling parts is not the best, and the motor halves needed a little bit of filler and sanding, but that is our hobby after all. If you stick to the instruction sequence you should have no problems at all. Tamiya have done a great job of reproducing what is in reality a very complicated machine. The steering linkages are designed to actually in a similar way to the real machine and have included a metal front axle/hub and two metal steering linkage rods.

The looks of anything are always a subjective choice, and this machine has a very unconventional appearance. Personally I like the complicated look of this machine, especially with the cowls removed. With the cowls on, most of the complexity is hidden away and the bike looks a little porkish, which belies the lightweight structure underneath.

Fine progress, really enjoying this!

G'day Mencie, thanks, I am enjoying myself as well,

cheers,

Pappy

62_zpsa497ad15.jpg

G'day people.

Well the sub assemblies are beginning to come together. The frame details were picked out and then set aside to dry.

41_zpsc36c0c3c.jpg

Meanwhile, the handlebars and clip-ons were assembled and painted.

43_zps3c932c6d.jpg

44_zps44512225.jpg

Followed by a quick test fit to ensure there would be no surprises later on when it came time to fitting them.

45_zps77696ab0.jpg

The front wheel was then assembled. Take note that the disc brake carriers are handed, and they will only attach to the centre hub if all the right parts are mated.

47_zpsd1c0fc3a.jpg

48_zpsf2b07ff4.jpg

I struggled to get the disc brake carriers to fit despite being super careful to ensure the left and right bits were all correct. These parts have a bit of 'spring' and getting them to fit was a real bugger as I did not want to force them or damage the fragile metallic paint. After checking and double, triple and quadruple checking, I was sure the right parts had been mated so I just used a bit of force in the end and it seemed to work out, though it was heart in mouth stuff!

The rear swing arm by comparison was a complete doddle.

49_zps8bc9ba05.jpg

52_zps8c7e80ae.jpg

51_zps11ad01c5.jpg

53_zpsded6eb36.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2