1950s FAA flying suit colour ?

IanHx

Hello IanHx

This is before my time in the FAA, but to the best of my knowledge (and I stand to be corrected) they were like this:

Flying Overalls: grey/blue (as used by RAF) Boots: black, Life Jacket: yellow, Helmet: white.

Immersion Suit: used when water temperature is below a set temp, sorry don't know the temp but used a lot in home waters, worn over flying overalls: sage/olive drab green with black cuffs and neck seal, boots, life jacket and helmet as before.

I hope this has been of help, but as I said above I do stand to be corrected if someone knows better.

With regards RR

The flying suits were more grey than blue and quite a smooth material. They also had an attached scarf which was quite a darker satin grey and worn cravat style. I seem to remember the attached inverted knife was in a fabric covered Yellow rectangular sheath worn on the right thigh had a black cross hatched handle. RAF had nearly all Silver Bone Domes.

John

• Like 1

Here's mine, photographed for the SAMI Modeller's Datafile on the Hunter but pretty much relevant for the Sea Hawk as well. This is the later style of flying suit (mid-50s and well into the 1960s). The earlier type (post-war to mid-50s) was a darker colour - see the second photo.

1950s-flying-kitjpg.jpg

early-1950-flying-kit_zps1a4a03a4.jpg

• Like 4