Gloster Javelin 1/48 [03/06 Finished]

Breaker

After an evening and an afternoon of masking...

DSG has been sprayed. Base cost of Mr Hobby DSG, a preshade of Tamiya Rubber Black and then worked over with Mr Hobby MSG and DSG. Not sure how it'll look under a coat of clear but I'm going to go with it for now and see what comes out.

IMG_20150417_182355_zpsmr7dgffl.jpg

IMG_20150417_181722_zpsgcie9ioe.jpg

IMG_20150417_181650_zpswsl6k3m5.jpg

• Like 6

Main paint finished. Got some more step by steps here -

First I bluetak and mask up, which takes FOR EVER. I cut some 8mm diameter masks for were the camo has a curved meeting point with the underside. Base coat of Dark Green

IMG_20150419_183400_zpso4ot2cey.jpg

Shaded with thinned Rubber Black. I like it fairly thin so I can build it up in layers.

IMG_20150419_184903_zpsslef6qhh.jpg

Start mottling it. Rather than use a mix with the dark green, I used a similar colour. In this instance, I used USAF Light Green. Thinned it down, really high PSI and basically shoot the model all over.

IMG_20150419_185622_zpshoub7wan.jpg

IMG_20150419_191019_zpslujkesgt.jpg

I then went back in with dark green in a really thin coat. This was just misted over the whole section until I had the level of fade I wanted.

IMG_20150419_191450_zpsu6o4aaez.jpg

And then the best bit...

IMG_20150419_195420_zpsixo9nmy1.jpg

There is a really weird camo spike on the board wing. I'm not fussed it's there as the main roundel will be going over it!

Next up will be spraying up the weapons, tanks and refuelling probe - i left this off for the main paint to make masking easier.

• Like 13

DAMN! That looks like the dogs danglies! Fantastic work on the camo! No way I'm gonna buy this kit now, cos I couldn't get it better than this! :winkgrin:

More - PLEASE!

Cheers

Kev

Edited by modelman182
  • Like 1

IMG_20150423_221557_zpsldx46tgk.jpg

The roundels and RAF flash are on.

Had a nightmare with these. Seem very thin, just want to curl up as soon as they touch the model. A couple cracked up on touching down on the model as well, so some repainting will be in order. :(

Tip for the wing roundels, cut the holes for the vortex generators longer with a single pass before you soak it in water. It'll make it a lot easier to get in place!

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Thank you Rene

Well, after going to ModelKraft last month, I decided I didn't want a refueling probe on my Javelin after all, so I've filled the holes and sprayed them over. Also picked up some Master Pitots as well. Should have the model finished this week I hope if I don't get diverted by the stack of 'started' models I've got at the moment! In no order, a Jet Provost, Phantom, A-6A, F-8E and an F-14B somewhere!

This just keeps getting better and better. I see you have a pair of my favourite tweezers - the "I'll hold onto this part as LONG as you keep the airbrush UNDER 20psi" variant.

Can't wait to see this completed and upright.

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

Decals are now complete. Shame the writing on them is poor! Every single decal is marked as 'port' there's no starboard ones! Also interesting to compare the line diagram for decal placement to the model, Airfix missed a few off the molds.

Anyway!

IMG_20150601_213720_zpsnbd3q6au.jpg

IMG_20150601_213736_zpsmrum3aof.jpg

Just got a few little bits left, paint the canopies, assemble the front strut and paint the missile seeker heads, a coat of Alclad lacquer and it's job done!

• Like 2

Very nice indeed, what a nice looking Javelin, you are doing a great job.

I have two which have been stuck at the decalling stages and gathering dust now for at least a year,......... so seeing yours is a great KUTA to getting mine finished,

Cheers

Tony

Very nice indeed, what a nice looking Javelin, you are doing a great job.

I have two which have been stuck at the decalling stages and gathering dust now for at least a year,......... so seeing yours is a great KUTA to getting mine finished,

Cheers

Tony

Yeah, the decalling on this took a lot longer than I thought it would, so many stencils and I couldn't find a rhythm! I had fallen out a bit with it but with the decals on and the sticky out bits starting to fall together, it's growing on me again!

Pushing forward today, I'm gonna keep putting small updates on as I go!

IMG_20150602_094312_zpskuzlthpc.jpg

Firestreaks are done. Thin wash with a black and I sprayed the seeker heads with tamiya smoke over and over again to get the dark but still transparent look that I've seen on some of the photos. This would of been easier if I'd painted the mating face between the clear part and the body black first.

IMG_20150602_105948_zpsjkcce4d9.jpg

and attached. Nosewheel is now on as well so it's sitting on it's own gear! Bit of a height difference between the two sides, guessing I haven't aligned the slight flats on the wheels correctly as once matt black, its fairly hard to see them.

• Like 7

Breaker - that looks great!

All you need to do now is get a 48th scale Vulcan and the dio below is all yours... :winkgrin:

BM_Jav_Vulcan_dio_joke.jpg

Mind you, I don't give much for your chances of surviving SWMBO's wrath if you DID come home with a 48th Vulcan! LOL! :winkgrin:

Cracking work throughout this build, really well done, mate.

Kev

• Like 2