1/72 - Handley-Page Harrow & Sparrow by Valom - released - new Sparrow Mk.II boxing

Homebee

• 3 weeks later...

I've picked up my Sparrow and can confirm no long side windows - now to find if these were on the aircraft from the start or a later modification.  If so, they may appear on the Normandy boxing, but I'm not betting on it.

I've spent an entertaining hour trimming the sprues and trying to make full sense of the instructions and the excess parts provided.  I eventually worked out that six peculiar parts were flap hinges: there is no mention of such on the instructions but there are pairs of holes under the wing.  However, there are also similar holes for the aileron hinges but these are not provided.  I'm still not sure what a couple of the parts are for but they don't seem to belong on the transport.  I've yet to compare the kit to the Contrail fuselage, so have that joy to come.  This does mean that I have a spare (part-trimmed) Contrail kit with some rather nice spare turrets thrown in.

Edit: The Valom fuselage has a similar nose (which I'm not convinced is too wrong) but the proper blunt tail end not the more aerodynamic shape provided by Contrail.  The Contrail kit doesn't have extra windows down the fuselage either.  The photo I have of B.BJ has extra windows under the wing, but more like airliner windows than the long strip seen on the 1944 machines in the WIP thread.  I suspect that this is an individual airframe variation, no idea why.  Either way, there are additional windows forward missing from the kit.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Great surprise! Looks that it will be full glazing fuselage. I am very glad that I was not fast with buing Sparrow...

J-W

I'd like to see that, but remain unconvinced by the mere suggestion.  Aluminium undersides could be correct for a transport, but not with a high demarcation.  On the other hand such an appearance is common for trainers, as many of the Harrows were used.  Is the serial known?  Memory suggests that I looked up this aircraft in The K File and found it at a Bombing & Gunnery School, but without the serial I can't confirm this.

PS  I'm even less convinced by the scheme in overall NIVO, as Harrows post-dated this and received the DG/DE scheme from new.

Edited by Graham Boak

Regarding high demarcation line for transport machines - what colour has this DC 2? If the outer part of roundel i yellow (?) the bottom is not yellow...

Douglas%20DC-2%20DG4xx.jpg?m=1521387960

Cheers

J-W

The yellow of the roundel appears black because of the red in it.  So the undersides could perhaps be a lemon-yellow rather than the RAF's Yellow.  I can't imagine why it should be, but ...  However, given the tailfin, I suggest that it is Aluminium or a previous light grey?  It does look as though the camouflage has been freshly added on top of the earlier colour.

The ortho film would give a very light appearance to a light blue, such as Sky Blue or even (maybe) Middle East Blue, but that wouldn't fit with the fin.

Now that's an interesting picture, the serial is from the DG468 to 479 range. Brief history of each:

1314 NC14281 AA, 12/40 DG468, 31Sqd/D; 7/42 VT-AOU; scr.
1315 NC14282 AA, 11/40 DG469; 7/42 VT-AOQ; scr.6/45.
1316 NC14283 AA, (VT-AOR) DG470, 31Sqd/R; scr.11/43.
1244 NC13718 TW, 7/41 (VT-AOS) DG471; W/O 24/10/41.
1402 NC14922 AA, 12/40 (VT-AOT) DG472; scr.8/43.
1308 NC14275 AA/DL, 2/41 (VT-AOV) DG473, 31 Sqdn., W/O 14/6/42.
1401 NC14921 AA, 2/41 (VT-AOW) DG474; W/O 1/42.
1410 NC14294 DL, 2/41 (VT-AOX) DG475, 31 Sqdn., W/O 25/12/41.
1251 NC13725 TW, 2/41 (VT-AOY) DG476, 31Sqd/Y; W/O 8/11/43.
1237 NC13711 TW, 2/41 (VT-AOZ) DG477, 4/41 31Sqdn.; scr.
1403 NC14923 AA/DL, 2/41 DG478/VT-APA, 4/41-4/43, 31 Sqdn.; scr.6/44.
1240 NC13714 TW, DG479, 31Sqd/B; 5/43 VT-APB; scr.

Edited by Dave Fleming

This DC-2K was published on web page devoted to John Medland by Mike Medland

http://www.rafcommands.com/gallery/john-medland-service-in-raf-kohat/ it is said, that photo was taken in Kohat. 

Here http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries/SEAC/Mike-Medland/Douglas-DC-2-DG4xx-Kohat-Hangar are two more takes, on one the clear difference between yellow on roundel and bottom colour is obvious. Unfortunately all three shots do not allow to read complete serial...

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
mispelling corrections
  • Like 1

I feel myself a bit guilt that here we are off topic - I will give this photo to WWII section, sorry for doubling a bit... So please more discussion on DC2  there :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 2