Zvezda IL-62 "VC-10ski"

Jessica

The OV ending is a male's surname and OVA is his unmarried daughter. So Petrov has a girl called Petrova but I have no idea what Petrov's SWMBOVA is actually "surnamed". SWBOVA? Looks like Sveltlana is out for a bit of BOVVER.3rd Army Kitchen shock Regiment,more Beetroot?

It's not specific to a woman being married, just the grammar of Slavic languages. When a woman gets married, she will take her husband's surname with the appropriate feminine suffix for her language's grammar system.

In the context of Russian, it very basically goes like this:

-ova is the typical feminine ending with masculine names ending in -ov or -off

-ina goes with names that end with -in

-eva with names ending with -ev

-skaya with names ending in -sky or -ski

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 3

Well, Roden has one announced for release in the near future :)

That's not Heavy Metal enough - I have 1/72 Anigrand kit in the pile of shame and I'm going to put my hand on it rather sooner than later. Enough off-topic :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoying this very much.

I recall standing on a hotel balcony in St Julians, Malta, watching one of these taking off from Luqa. It banked and flew almost over my head - an impressive big beastie.

John

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldn't be much cop without them on the real thing either! There is a heat exhanger behind those on both sides. The VC-10 has them too,they are called fridge packs to cool the hot engine bleed off for cabin conditioning ( not pressurisation BTW) and also shot hot air into the slat double skin voids for de icing.

Good start Jessica!

Never understood why the TP Bullet was so long fwd of the Stab. VC-10 is a such a good looking 'plane compared to the "Classic". I was there the day the 1st one landed at Heathrow,big suprise nobody knew irt was coming! CCCP-86666. Big aeroplane to take the TU-104's place on that route.

As far as copying goes. The Russians got on GARTA at Farnbrough 1962 by then the IL62 design was/ probably frozen as it 1st flew a year after the 'ten.

It hasn't got slats/leading edge device,the 2 weren't built to the same route/airfield perfomance spec either. the 62 and Super are closer though the 62 is 14 foot longer and 5 foot smaller span.It must have had an even bigger CofG tail heavy problem than the VC-10 with a drop down strut and wheel tail steady/support. Although I admit it would have been handy to have this instead of trolling 'round with a big tail jack and pad fitting malarky to support the back end when transfering fuel to the outbd wing or fin tanks. when leak checking,that wasn't not a normal everyday occurance though.

No one ever says Airbus copied Boeing or other way around do they? Or do they?

look forward to the rest of this build,thanks for showing!

I was at Heathrow,on the sadly gone Queens Building roof, when one landed in the late 1960's. I picked it up on the viewfinder when it was on finals and was amazed when it taxied in and parked right in front of us.

I saw an LOT Il-62 at ORD in the mid-1970s out the window of my departing flight.

Liveries Unlimited is back with some interesting decals for this kit, including LOT, available at the Fündekals web site:

http://www.fundekals.com/

(Not affiliated with either Liveries Unlimited or Fündekals except as customer)

My package of il-62s is scheduled to arrive this Wednesday - finally on sale in North America. Goodness, that took forever. I have ordered some LU decals from the Fundecals site as well - kinda like the idea of an Air India machine which I'll cobble together with a mix 'n match of CSA red cheat lines, and a tail logo from the 707. Jury still out on that one, but . . . .

Building my first "Ultimate kit" A320 this past weekend - and managed to mess up where I glued the nose weight into, so, as you put it earlier Jessica, that famed Zvezda fit was lost, and a lot of putty has been applied.

Cheers,

Mike

Got my Zvezda Il-62 last week via Dragon USA and am most impressed. Have a Liveries Unlimited Cubana decal for it on the way also, although the kit decal is beautiful.

Bizarre note: Paypal was holding up all orders for the Cubana sheet "for review," apparently due to the still-in-effect US ban on imported Cuban products! How's that for appalling ignorance?