Zvezda IL-62 "VC-10ski"

Jessica

First, a look inside the box.

Zvezda's IL-62 is one of the most detailed 1/144 kits I've done. The tiny parts are simply lovely to contemplate, but a trifle difficult to actually manipulate.
I began by gluing the main wheel well parts into the inside of the upper wings. The wing bay walls are mis-numbered on the instruction sheet. Zvezda would have you glue them into the wrong sides, but simply trying them out reveals that there's only one way they can fit. Reverse part numbers C58 and C59 on the instructions.
il-62_1.jpg
Next, the clear parts. The tiny little lav windows in the rear fuselage are prone to going spoing out of the tweezers and flying into the mouth of the carpet monster. Luckily a drop of superglue will fill the hole without difficulty, and dry perfectly clear. I gave up on the tiny little windows and used superglue. The long strips are a little warped, but react well to liquid glue.
il-62_2.jpg
il-62_3.jpg
The cockpit is amazing. I've seen 1/72 cockpits with fewer details.
il-62_4.jpg
il-62_5.jpg
All of this is likely never to be seen again, but it's fantastically detailed, even down to the difference between the Captain's and First Officer's yokes. The instructions goof again for the centre cockpit jump seat. It's called out as C13 when in reality it's B13 on the sprues.

Edited by Jessica
  • Like 9

Interesting wip, Jessica! Wich of the livreys you planning to do?

By the way as the Il-62 looks very similar as the VC-10,so the suffix "-sky" is reasonable... But that suffix is most suitable to the polish(Galkovsky, Pilsudsky...) surnames))))))))) Russian surnames frequently ending to the "EV" or "Ov" suffix (IvanOV, PetrOV for example) ))))))))))))))))

Edited by Snitok1983
  • Like 1

Thats looking very nice, I do like these Russian liners. I am still doing the TU-154 which is exquisite, apart from the decals. What are the decals like in yours? are they printed well or a bit blurry? Looking forward to this one going together. Does say alot for the VC-10 that they copied it (or was it the other way around????????)

Cheers now

Bob

By the way as the Il-62 looks very similar as the VC-10,so the suffix "-sky" is reasonable... But that suffix is most suitable to the polish(Galkovsky, Pilsudsky...) surnames))))))))) Russian surnames frequently ending to the "EV" or "Ov" suffix (IvanOV, PetrOV for example) ))))))))))))))))

I'm planning in that nice da-glo Russian Emergency Ministry scheme.

As you say, it is a pity that all that cockpit detail will be hidden - is there enough in the "entrance way" to leave the door open?

My initial thoughts are flaps down and door open - just because it is possible and different, but I notice all the Zvezda A320 builds done so far have the door closed.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

As you say, it is a pity that all that cockpit detail will be hidden - is there enough in the "entrance way" to leave the door open?

All that will be visible are the fore and aft bulkheads and that far wall. It may let some light into the cockpit but given that I'm a decal windows kind of girl it would be somewhat wasted on my model. Those who love clear windows will be in their element with this one.

Edited by Jessica

Work resumes on the IL-62. First, the major subassemblies:
il-62_6.jpg
I had to pry the fuselage apart half a dozen times to shake put little beads of Liquid Gravity which the superglue hadn't quite managed to grab hold of. Every time I thought I had them all out there would be this annoying little *rattle*...
Therefore Zveada's wonderful fit is a bit spoiled. I bored out the APU exhaust and fitted in a section of styrene tube. That will be trimmed flush and smoothed out once the glue has set.

A peek into the wing root intakes. Zvezda moulded these in two tiny parts which get nearly lost forever. A lot of patience and care is needed to get them properly in place.
il-62_7.jpg
Okay, so how does it look with everything hung together?
il-62_8.jpg
The stabiliser can be made to move if it's glued carefully. It was often seen in the full nose-up position on the ground
il-62_9.jpg
One last look into the cockpit before the cover goes on and all that detail becomes next to invisible
il-62_10.jpg

Edited by Jessica
  • Like 5

Looking good Jess.

I'm keen to see how this turns and what a 144 scale liner builds to.

Also interested in the super glue glass thing and the decal windows if used

Cheers

Bruce

I've been considering picking up one of these kits for myself; the pictures here are definitely swinging me towards making the purchase.

As for any connection between the VC-10 and the Il-62 beyond a superficial resemblance, this article clears things up quite effectively:

http://www.vc10.net/History/Comp_il62.html

• Like 2

Good to see one on here Jessica, I look forward to seeing it done :)

I've been considering picking up one of these kits for myself; the pictures here are definitely swinging me towards making the purchase.

As for any connection between the VC-10 and the Il-62 beyond a superficial resemblance, this article clears things up quite effectively:

http://www.vc10.net/History/Comp_il62.html

Go for it, it's a lovely kit! I'm just waiting to move house before I crack mine open... I have taken some sprue shots here - https://rbmodelwerx.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/a-close-look-at-zvezdas-il-62/

• Like 1

Go for it, it's a lovely kit! I'm just waiting to move house before I crack mine open... I have taken some sprue shots here - https://rbmodelwerx.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/a-close-look-at-zvezdas-il-62/

Thanks for the link!

I have a couple of other higher priorities for my money this year beyond boxes of styrene, but I'll definitely be scooping one of these kits up if I can spare a bit.

I have seen pics where the bullet of the stabilizer seems to almost point down at 45 degrees, and just looks wrong. I like the angle, slightly rakish shall we say, you have chosen.

What's this - no scratch built seat belts in the cockpit? :) That is an awesome amount of detail to just get hidden - even if one left the transparency clear - but rather too much detail than too little.

Good heads up on the wing root intakes. As small as they are, the whole model would look wrong without them. Mental note to self - do that step above a clean, smooth, floor.

Thanks Jessica.

Good heads up on the wing root intakes. As small as they are, the whole model would look wrong without them.

It wouldn't be much cop without them on the real thing either! There is a heat exhanger behind those on both sides. The VC-10 has them too,they are called fridge packs to cool the hot engine bleed off for cabin conditioning ( not pressurisation BTW) and also shot hot air into the slat double skin voids for de icing.

Good start Jessica!

Never understood why the TP Bullet was so long fwd of the Stab. VC-10 is a such a good looking 'plane compared to the "Classic". I was there the day the 1st one landed at Heathrow,big suprise nobody knew irt was coming! CCCP-86666. Big aeroplane to take the TU-104's place on that route.

As far as copying goes. The Russians got on GARTA at Farnbrough 1962 by then the IL62 design was/ probably frozen as it 1st flew a year after the 'ten.

It hasn't got slats/leading edge device,the 2 weren't built to the same route/airfield perfomance spec either. the 62 and Super are closer though the 62 is 14 foot longer and 5 foot smaller span.It must have had an even bigger CofG tail heavy problem than the VC-10 with a drop down strut and wheel tail steady/support. Although I admit it would have been handy to have this instead of trolling 'round with a big tail jack and pad fitting malarky to support the back end when transfering fuel to the outbd wing or fin tanks. when leak checking,that wasn't not a normal everyday occurance though.

No one ever says Airbus copied Boeing or other way around do they? Or do they?

look forward to the rest of this build,thanks for showing!

Edited by bzn20

Comes from the American "Russki" anything from the then USSR was given a generic '-ski' as a suffix.

The OV ending is a male's surname and OVA is his unmarried daughter. So Petrov has a girl called Petrova but I have no idea what Petrov's SWMBOVA is actually "surnamed". SWBOVA? Looks like Sveltlana is out for a bit of BOVVER.3rd Army Kitchen shock Regiment,more Beetroot?

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1