1:72 Special Hobby Brewster Buffalo Mk.I

Stunning! I hate one word posts, but what more can I say?

Stunning!

Not a lot more! Bill keeps delivering, err, stunning work so regularly that one soon runs out of superlatives.

Martin

• Like 4

On 1/24/2015 at 22:58, modelglue said:

GAH! That is some clean work. Do you have an electron microscope which you use to paint with? Outstanding!

No electron microscope here, although I think we have one at work. Wow, you know how big that gap would look like on an electron micrograph? Bloody huge, that's how big! To see the gap in real life was scary enough!   :)

On 1/25/2015 at 00:46, John Laidlaw said:

Nice CGI renderings. When are you going to show us photos of the actual work you've been doing?

Uh, er, well ... busted! :)

On 1/25/2015 at 02:46, rob85 said:

Bill i'm dissappointed... It looks like your doing another great model, I was hoping for a 3 day oob airfix hurricane (Something I could achieve as well). ... nevermind I will just have to make do with a flawed kit with a massive gap and watch you turn it into something stunning not again!! (All sarcasm of course apart from the good bits And my ability! Cracking work bill can't wait to see how this one goes!!)

Thanks, Rob. I do OOB builds every now and then, but I usually don't post WIPs or RFIs. Got to uphold my rep, you know? A while back, I did an OOB build of the ancient Dragon Mi-28 Havoc heliochopter. I built it mainly to use it as a test piece for pastel weathering. It came out OK, I guess, although the pastel work is devilishly hard to photograph. It looks much better with mein eyeballs. Anybody want to see it? Odd kit, the blades are moulded in their "drooped" state, and I didn't realize until much later that they be drooped a wee bit too much. I need to rectify that somehow.

Speaking of that kit, I forgot about adding it to my 2014 Complete Waste of Time Yearbook! Arghh...chemo brain strikes again!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

On 1/25/2015 at 13:13, abat said:

Let's see that hidden Heliochopter.

OK. I guess it's all right to hijack your own thread. Here it is, and no laughing!

100_5408

100_5123

100_5410

100_5413

This was just a quick build to allow me to test different ways to weather with pastels. I was intrigued with the idea of using pastels instead of a panel line wash, and that was the main thing I attempted here. It's a throwaway build, so I wasn't too worried about cocking it up. I also tried some dissimilar colour techniques with the pastels, such as using red on the brown and blue on the green. That is the effect that, although easy to see in real life, doesn't seem to photograph very well. Ah well, must keep working on it.   :)

Now, back to the Buffalo! Which, come to think about it, is also OOB. I don't have any aftermarket other than the canopy masks. There is a vacuform canopy standing by in case it is needed for the sliding portion, but all the resin you see is part of the kit. Ah, I suppose I do have to add some photoetch harnesses...Special Hobby forgot that. Which is really odd, they almost always include that.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

On 1/25/2015 at 14:44, modelglue said:

Gosh Bill I hope you didn't actually throw that away! :(

Thanks. By throwaway build I mean that I didn't intend it to be entered in competition, things like that. I still have it. I may need it in the future for more experiments! Believe it or not, I took this to a contest on a lark and it won a silver! Must have been a shortage of entrants in this class... :)

On 1/25/2015 at 15:29, rob85 said:

looks like a small dog has had rotor blades strapped to its head and given a massive arsenal of Russian weapons... odd but some good work all the same! And the pastels Definitely worked.

Thanks. I always thought it was a lethal looking bit of kit. Do the Russians use these, or was this just a prototype? Sorry for my lack of knowledge concerning Russian choppers. I think all the kits of this aircraft are the Dragon kit, no matter whose box they're in.

Can you see the dissimilar colours in the camo scheme? I can just make them out on my screen.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks. By throwaway build I mean that I didn't intend it to be entered in competition, things like that. I still have it. I may need it in the future for more experiments! Believe it or not, I took this to a contest on a lark and it won a silver! Must have been a shortage of entrants in this class... :)

Yes, surely that must be it...

• Like 2

What a odd-looking aircraft: it would certainly be at home at some far flung outpost in Star Wars. Nice build though and worthy of the diversion.

`Buffalo Bill',........this is coming on great guns and well done with the fuselage fix. Have you decided upon a scheme yet,......are you doing another `Snifter' the Aussie dog?

Amen to ridding yourself of he cancer too mate,....... you seem to be a fighter so you`ll be fine!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

On 1/25/2015 at 17:45, Fritag said:

Great problem solving of the gap issue. I suspect you quite enjoyed the challenge :)

I admit it, I enjoyed it! It must be some psychosis of some kind. :pilot:

On 1/25/2015 at 17:49, tonyot said:

`Buffalo Bill',........this is coming on great guns and well done with the fuselage fix. Have you decided upon a scheme yet,......are you doing another `Snifter' the Aussie dog?

Amen to ridding yourself of he cancer too mate,....... you seem to be a fighter so you`ll be fine!

Cheers

Tony

Snifter it shall be! 453 Squadron, W.8209 TD-E. It will be a great companion to the Beaufort, although it would fit in its bomb bay! The decals with the Special Hobby kit have this aircraft as TD-F, but I've learned that Geoff Angus recorded in his logbook that he was shot down in "F" and the Squadron's records show that he was shot down in W.8152, so it must have been TD-F. The photos of W.8209 aren't conclusive, and could be either E or F. By process of elimination, it must have been E.

I hope to have some more photos tonight, as I have the engine mounted.

Next cancer treatment is February 5-6-7. I've finally recovered from January's treatment, and here I am almost ready for the next one. Each one knocks me down for about 7-10 days. Not much modelling happens then, but I do go on-line and buy stuff so all is not lost!

Cheers,

Bill

More progress!

Sometime today, I drilled out two holes in the bottom of the wings for the British Buffalo landing lights. I used thin pieces of card stock on the inside to enclose the bottom after I took the photo:

100_5407

Then I applied a rather sloppy wash to the inside of the forward front fuselage. I don't know why, but I figure it probably got fairy dirty and grungy up here.

100_5414

Prior to mounting the engine, I did some quick painting on the bulkhead. Remember, there really wasn't a solid bulkhead like this in the actual plane. Special Hobby have simply moulded a lot of details into one piece. The annular ring is the exhaust collector and I painted it Model Master Jet Exhaust, a colour singularly inappropriate for a Brewster Buffalo. But the shade is probably just about right, maybe a tad too gold. The supercharger housing was added to the center, and a healthy black wash applied.

100_5416

I then glued this to the spindly engine bearers that I mounted a page or so ago. They didn't end up in the indentations where they should have, but such is modelling. This will be very difficult to see once everything is closed up! I probably should have added the engine bearers after the bulkheads are in place. But that is what the instructions said to do, and I never follow the instructions!

Once in place, it took a bit of alignment to make sure it was in the right position, and straight and square. The engine will mount to the front side of this piece, and we don't want it out of alignment relative to the axis of the fuselage.

100_5417

Lastly, the resin engine was glued onto the front of the bulkhead. Since there are no guide or alignment pegs of any kind, I first taped the fuselage halves together, then glued the engine in place while I was holding the fuselage vertical. I put the front cowling in its position, and used it to help position the engine laterally until it was centered in the cowling opening. Luckily, that was the exact moment that the superglue decided to instantly set. Timing is everything! :)

100_5420

Cheers for today,

Bill

• Like 13

Nice work as usual. I think your answer to the gap is correct. It's not unique to CMK to have interior/exterior discordances. The Roden early He111 family need to have the same treatment. Now that would be a challenge for you.............

• Like 1

Beautiful work as always Bill - as has been mentioned above; it looks so neat it could be CGI. Very impressed with the helicopter too! Top notch modelling.

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2015 at 01:23, Ed Russell said:

Nice work as usual. I think your answer to the gap is correct. It's not unique to CMK to have interior/exterior discordances. The Roden early He111 family need to have the same treatment. Now that would be a challenge for you.............

The Roden early He 111 would have been a challenge for sure, but I sold the kit on eBay! I may be a Yank, but I'm not crazy. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Looking great as always Bill.

I've got one in the stash which I will probably do Aussie style.

Looking forward to more posts as the build progresses......a quick build at times is therapeutic! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

I thought it would be a quick session last night to close up the fuselage, until I discovered another one of those fun moments of short-run modelling. :)

The cutout in the bottom of the fuselage for the window is about 2mm too narrow in width, and about 1mm too short in length. Or maybe it's the window that's too large? Either way, the window doesn't fit. The forward shape of the window doesn't quite match the cutout, either. Now, remember that the window has extensive framework which has to be masked (thank God I managed to find the Eduard mask set for this kit!) - if I sand down the edges of the window, it will remove some of the outer framing, and that will interfere with the proper application of the masks.

I decided therefore to enlarge the opening in the bottom of the fuselage, which is a bit trickier to do. I took a photo showing this in progress, and I'll post that when I get home. As it turns out, I also reshaped the forward part of the window a bit, necessitating a return to the Future bath for it once I was done.

I'm beginning to like these challenges! I wonder what Special Hobby have in store for me next. :hmmm:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3