Bit of an amendment to above post. There are

some nice photos of RAF DH60M's in the

latest Aeroplane bookazine company profile

"De Havilland Military Types" which show

the two access doors both open and closed. Two

doors on the starboard side. When closed

they are barely visible.

On many photos of Moths the whole lower

wing is silver doped with no black walkways.

I believe the non-slip black walkways were

a special coating developed by

Berger paints, not sure when this was

introduced but I suspect the early

Moths pre-dated this.

Cheers, Paul

The walkways on Moths are on the opposite side to the exhausts. So with Gipsy Moths the tread is on the Stb side except the prototype Cirrus Moth which had a crossover exhaust. Moth (T) (Metal) can have four doors but they have a different exhaust (and bracing) arrangement and the front doors are deeper. Standard 60M Moths have the door on the right (Stb side) All Moths had a strengthened root walkway and it wasn't always painted Black. Four door Moths will have two walkways. The Cirrus engines turn to the right and Gipsy's, to the left. Also the door widths vary between Cirrus II and Cirrus III Moths. GIII's have four doors and Wright engine'd American Moths have the exhaust on the right so entry is from the left.

John

• Like 1

Hi, have looked at a couple of photos of the

RAF 60M's in Stuart McKay's book on the

Moth including one of the Hendon Aerobatic

team in flight and the lower wings appear to

be all silver although in the more close-up

photo there is clearly some reinforcing

structure by the wing root.I suspect the

black painted walkways were introduced

possible later in the 1930's.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I think the G-AALG decals on the Airdecal sheet are incorrect as they give the wing letters in plain blue. The museum photo shows that the letters had a white outline.

But we agreed that the museum photo shows it in later ownership. The Airdecal sheet is accurate for the scheme it depicts. All the Kings Flight aircraft of the period - DH60, DH80,DH84 and DH89 all had plain dark blue lettering on the wings with no white outline.

But we agreed that the museum photo shows it in later ownership. The Airdecal sheet is accurate for the scheme it depicts. All the Kings Flight aircraft of the period - DH60, DH80,DH84 and DH89 all had plain dark blue lettering on the wings with no white outline.

No, see my post no.28 where I date the photo to 1932. Both the Ronaldsway photos can be dated exactly to between 9 and 11 June 1932 when Prince George visited the Isle of Man.