Amodel D.H. 60 Moth kits.

Rick Brown

I have five of the seven (just need the Genet Moth and DH60T to complete the set) and they look pretty nice on the sprues. I was pleasantly surprised by the moulding quality. There are plenty of part options. Some even have two sets of wings, so the spares box will benefit greatly.

I haven't had the opportunity to check for accuracy, as I don't have any plans, neither have I started one yet. However, I doubt the is anything better in this scale.

I'm more than happy to dig the kits about and photograph the contents if you like.

Best regards,

Mark.

• Like 1

Hi,

I am currently building the DH60C and DH60M

together. As lasermonkey says there are

plenty of parts options and the differences

between the types are very well done although

maybe check references for individual aircraft

as the instructions are a bit basic. The quality

of moulding is very good and I assembled the

fuselages and lower wings with a small amount of

filler. Still to add the top wings and am a little

apprehensive as the struts seem to be to scale

and may be fragile, as on the Amodel Hart types.

One minor quirk is that only one control column

is supplied in each kit although easy to scratch build.

Found a small amount of sanding required on the

wing and tailplane leading edges as there is a very

slight mould mismatch. Generally though I'm very

pleased an intend to build at least two more!

Cheers, Paul

PS there is a decent inbox review on Britmodeller

of the DH60T, google "Amodel Moth" and brings up

related Britmodeller threads.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the other two , I am very pleased with the ones I have and pleasantly surprised as there are more different fuselages than I expected . For example I had expected a basic fuselage with instructions to cut at the right point and replace with the radial , for the Genet Moth , but this kit has a single seat fuselage . The Cirrus engined kit has its own fuselage as does the Gypsy , the Metal Moth and of course the Moth Major . Some have two sets of wings , slatted and unslatted and the common sprues have alternate props(3) , wheels (2) , U/C(2), fin and rudders (2) , fuel tanks(3)

I have made no attempt to look at how accurate these are , they look right and that will do me just now however one of the options for the DH 60 G is G-AAEE , I think this might have been streamlined with a curved as opposed to a flat sided fuselage . This is something I will be trying to find out about as it is one I will build after Jason of course .

Edited by NZKIWI
  • Like 2

Hi,

have had some slight difficulties as my builds

progress! The DH60C has a separate part (6)

for the lower part of the centre-section fuel tank. To

get this to fit I glued the upper and lower parts (8 and 6)

togther to get a complete fuel tank then cut away the

centre section of the upper wing and and attached the

wing halves to the tank using the wing from another

kit to match the (slight) dihedral. The instructions aren't

terribly clear in this area. When gluing the upper and lower

bits of the tank the leading edge should be flush, this will

leave a slight step or lip at the rear edge which is correct

from rear views of the aircraft. Also the centre section

struts are a bit fiddly, I added the exhausts first then

threaded the struts behind. There is a good walkaround

of tyhe DH60 on Britmodeller and this months Aeroplane

magazine has a Database on the Moth with a nice close-up of

G-EBLV which shows the centre-section strut location nicely.

Enjoying building these models and they look the part!

Cheers, Paul

PS to avoid the above faffing about with the centre

section tank you could just use the existing detail

moulded onto the wing as part 6 only differs slightly

and would not be noticeable under the top wing anyway!

Thankfully only the DH60C seems to require this.

Cheers again,

Paul

Here are a few of the major parts next to some old Scale Models plans i found knocking around. I will separate the parts from the sprues when I'm less likely to cause any damage to them and take some better pics, if anyone's interested.

Notice that I used the Gypsy Moth drawing, when I should have used the Cirrus drawing. I didn't at the time......

DSC_0330_zpsab62c0d9.jpg

DSC_0331_zps71bf88b1.jpg

DSC_0332_zps55ffcd29.jpg

DSC_0333_zpsa363eb4a.jpg

From a cursory glance, it looks pretty close. The wings may be a tad longer. I'll get the verniers out tomorrow and measure them. I think there may be a millimetre in it.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

• Like 1

I would like some suggestions on interior colour , Amodels callouts are for Humbrol 64 light grey as the basic interior colour , Humbrol 110 wood brown for the surround to the front seat and Humbrol 27003 steel for the interior framing . Some pictures on the Net appear to show a pale grey interior , I am not sure , could this be what silver dope looks like from the inside ? The framing , some DH60s were wooden framed , and surely even the metal frames would have had some sort of coating ? I see one modeller from here has gone for an interior green . On another point there is a thin black line along the leading edge of at least one of the props , I am thinking this is probably a brass strip ?

I have been working long hours and have had little time for modelling but I have fettled the lower wing to fuselage . This took some patience , and all the surfaces needed to be sharped up and sanded , basicly the part was too big for the slot which was too small . I got it to the wing to the point where I felt it was the right width , then I gave the two fuselage halves a light sand on their centre line till the fuselage fitted into the space between the wings .

Hi,

There are a couple of photos on the Britmodeller

walkarounds which show part of the interior of

G-EBLV which is a mid grey colour, the framing

also being the same grey. This would be painted

on as the basic colour of the fabric would be a

brick red, see other threads on Britmodeller on

the interiors of fabric covered aircraft. All DH60s

weere wooden framed except the DH60M. I went

for interior green for my DH60M which I will be doing

in RAF colours as I assume this was standard for RAF

aircraft. Propellers seem to vary a lot and I would

check references for individual aircraft, have seen

them all natural wood, black and also cream/white where

fabric has been applied. Would agree that the black line

is probably a brass strip.

After a bit of struggle got the top wing on my DH60C!

Cheers, Paul

• Like 2

Thanks for that , I have now seen pictures on the Net where the strip on the prop is brass and one aircraft with a cream coloured prop which definitely has a black strip on the leading edge of the prop , which is a tad wider than the brass strips .Last night I had a look at the floor panel which appeared to be about a mm too wide for it's hole but that has sanded back to fit . I also cleaned up the wings , once removed from the sprue you have seven stubs from the runners to deal with , I did not want to sand off the leading edge detail and with care they have been dealt with . All in all I am enjoying this kit . I also had a look at the fuel tank , once again the fit straight off the sprue did not work , but I did not expect it to by now .again a little clean up of both the place on the wing for the tank , and then some sanding to reduce the width of the tank , I am not certain that the edges of the position on the wing are verticle so I sanded a very slight bevel to the base of the tank sides and this seemed to help it sit in place better . There was also a lip on the trailing edge of the tank part moulded on the wing which needed removal . You are given three optional tank tops two appear similar but vary in their depth .

Edited by NZKIWI

With the lip on the trailing edge of the part of the tank that is integral with the wing in place the other half of the tank over hangs the lead edge , By removing the lip , I have lost this over hang and have a tidier join seam at both ends .Rightly or wrongly that is what I have done .

Edited by NZKIWI

I have the decal sheet for the royal DH60 G-AALG , can anyone help with information on the details as I have been unable to find anything about . Did it have slatted or unslatted wings , which U/C setup did it have , and what exhaust setup , please ?

This should help:-

gaalg.jpg

If you're using the AModel Gipsy Moth kit you want long exhaust, larger wheels, and split axle undercarriage.

The photo reproduction is not the best, but I'm thinking I can see the 3 underwing slat track fairings, and a slight protrusion ahead of the wing in the slat position.

Note also the headrest and the steerable tailskid also included in the Amodel kit.

I've also got this kit in the to do list - AirDecal Royal DeHavillands sheet? I'm planning the Fox Moth as well.

G-AALG did have slats fitted. Ref DH Moth p.120. What colours do they have for this Moth because I'm not sure this was Red and Blue. I have a superb photo of G-AAWU which was also used by the Duke and that isn't in the two colours either. It's a 60M so it will have a steerable skid.

John

Well spotted on the 60M there John, I'd spotted the ribbing on the fuselage side and not put 2&2 together, in fact I was pondering how to modify the Gipsy moth kit - as I have a 60M kit as well problem solved. The decals do indeed give it in the Guards red and blue scheme. If it's all over one colour (and the above photo would seem to suggest this) any idea what this would be?

This shot has also just come my way via ivor Ramsden, from the Isle of Man Aviation and Military museum of G-AALG in a slightly different Guards scheme. It was taken at Ronaldsway but no date known. The Dukes aeroplanes were usually sold abroad after his service.

I have the Gipsy III prop off one of these a/c.

John

DH%20Moth%20G-AALG_zpsjk2ypkqk.jpg

• Like 1