Revell King Tiger 1:72

Hi All,

This is the first armour model i have built since getting back into the hobby.

I got this about 4 years ago and started pretty much immediately gluing bits together. Then i got stalled on working out how to paint it as the tracks are injection moulded and i couldnt figure out if i could build them up around the wheels and then slip the whole lot off to paint. Well eventually just before christmas i found the kit again,had a go and found it you could so got myself out of the rut and started again, only took 4 years to work it out!!

The kit is really nicely detailed out of the box, the only bits i added were the track hangers from a beer can and the mesh grilles over the rear deck made from a cafetiere filter that was rescued from the bin, you know when something looks useful - now i know where my 7 year old daughter gets it from when she says dont throw it away we could make it into something whenever theres a cardboard tube etc about to go into the bin... :)

I had loads of fun weathering it, armour paintwork is much more forgiving than aircraft, i used a mix of pastels, oils and sponge chipping. Keen to get a bigger one now!

On with the pics and hope you like, an C&CC appreciated, cheers Stu

a5f7475a-3886-428b-b0bb-327055645f99_zps

IMAG6265_zps7c99f9ff.jpg

IMAG6264_zpsf884dd6f.jpg

IMAG6263_zps7eaf5759.jpg

IMAG6262_zps94899c20.jpg

IMAG6261_zps8b1cea99.jpg

IMAG6260_zpsfb64b33f.jpg

IMAG6259_zps3b7592f0.jpg

IMAG6258_zps3ae71fcd.jpg

IMAG6257_zpsc5c27e08.jpg

IMAG6256_zps57d95330.jpg

IMAG6255_zps52061303.jpg

IMAG6254_zpsd9250a1a.jpg

• Like 19

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I really enjoyed building this one and can definitely see more armour in my future - like you say Tim they are very addictive, especially the weathering and lack of canopy masking :) I was very kindly given an Airfix Matilda in our office secret santa so am cracking on with that now - watch this space :)

Cheers again!

Superb, first large tank I built as a nipper, and still a favourite.

Fantastic job of weathering, something I know nothing about. Do you have a work in progress for it or any tips on weathering for the complete beginner ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the kind comments guys they are warmly appreciated!

Pat - unfortunately no WIP for this one. Between my phone camera, poor kitchen lighting and limited time at the comp I struggle to do a half decent build report. At the risk of rambling on here I can drop you a PM sometime tomorrow (hopefully) and describe what i did if thats of any use though?

Just sticking the decals onto my Airfix Matilda so hopefully another RFI soon if it doesn't all go tits up!

Cheers, Stu

• Like 1

Hi Stu

All tips and advice greatly appreciated, great you are building the ultimate MG as your next build !

Yes the Matilda was built in Abingdon at the MG Sports Car factory, so as an MG fan I should build one.

Seriously though I have joined the Panzer Group Build on this site building the SD.KFZ232 6 Rad armoured car, my first AFV build since I was at school so please drop me a PM, and let's see this Matilda please.

Cheers Pat