Radial Engines Rock GB Chat

CliffB

That sounds ambitious SleeperService - definitely one to watch if this GB comes to pass.

Cliff

Being Mr Cunning this time Cliff. It's all straight edges and rivets! I have a resin engine and suspension already lined up. The first one I built from the old Bellona book was computer punch card, Airfix Lee/Grant running gear with the machine gun positions made from ink pen cartridges and pins. I hope to do better this time!

• Like 1

I was thinking about building a Bristows series 3 whirlwind SAR helicopter (full kit from whirlybits that I picked up at Telford). However, I don't think this had a radial engine?

I was thinking instead a Bristol Sycamore Mk.52 used by the Luftwaffe for SAR duties. Would this be okay? Pretty sure that used a radial engine

• Like 1

OoooH! SleeperService just told me about this.

M4 & M4A1 immediately springs to mind

Please add me to the list

Most certainly. Very nice to have some more armour :)

I was thinking about building a Bristows series 3 whirlwind SAR helicopter (full kit from whirlybits that I picked up at Telford). However, I don't think this had a radial engine?

I was thinking instead a Bristol Sycamore Mk.52 used by the Luftwaffe for SAR duties. Would this be okay? Pretty sure that used a radial engine

Sounds good Aaron. Alvis Leonides Mk73, if I'm not mistaken (God bless Google).

Is that from the CMR kit?

Cliff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Just thought I might bump this one up again.

Just six more radial-heads needed for us to make next year's vote :)

Cheers

Cliff

That sounds good Doug! :)

I was also hoping to see some multi-engined aircraft being proposed - fingers crossed that one may come along soon :winkgrin:

Cliff

If by 'multi-engined' you mean 'more than one', I'm seriously considering a civil Caribou. Which is 2 engines, if not the 4 of a Connie (the kit for which I sold, yea, these many moons ago. To my eternal regret.)

If you want something truly multi-engined, the prototype Dornier Do X used no less than 12 licence built Bristol Jupiters. Which is a lot of... pistons. (No jokes about Bristols please, this is a family show.)

And I may dedicate a not insignificant amount of Aussie shekels to the purchasement of a Hasegawa Ta154. Because if nothing else, it's pretty, like a lot of twins are.

Edited by Rob G

Hi Rob,

A Caribou would be an excellent choice (particularly a civil one). All radial engined twins are cool in fact (cue music - Gimme Shelter from Air America :coolio: ).

For my money, 'multi-engined' should include at least three - I was thinking Airfix back catalogue: B17, B29, Sunderland, HP.42, Boeing Clipper etc etc.

Thanks for the heads up on the DoX prototype, I didn't know that that had radial engines. It must have sounded incredible.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Hi Cliff,

Having seen Bernd's build of Dragon's 1/72 M4A1(76)W VVSS in the Achtung Panzer GB I managed to pick one up for just £7.50! Having looked at Bernd's finished model and looking at the rather lovely plastic in the box - I think I got a real bargain!

Now if this kit is suitable - I'm pretty sure it had a radial engine - then I'm in and it will give me a good excuse not to start it too soon!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Hi Stix

Yes, that Sherman would certainly be a welcome addition to the GB - we seem to be getting a few armour builds being proposed now, which is great!

Just five more 'signees' needed now to get this GB into next year's vote :)

Cliff

• Like 1

I´d be interested to join too. I plan to finally build a collection of Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey aircraft. With luck, Britmodeller group builds allow most to be built in 2016! You see, it consisted of
- I./SG 3, Ju 87 D-5 -> Close Air Support II GB
- II./JG 54, Fw 190 A-6 -> Fw 190 STGB
- I./SG 5, Fw 190 F-3 or F-8 -> Fw 190 STGB
- NaGr 5, Bf 109 G-6 or G-8 -> Eyes and Ears GB
- 3.(F)/22, Ju 188 F-2 -> Eyes and Ears GB (did not belong to the detachment but did high altitude photo reconnaissance for them on the Karelian Isthmus)

EDIT:
- Stab/SG 3, He 111 H-6, Storch and Bf 108 transport and liaison aircraft -> WW2 eastern front GB

end edit :-)

and speaking of this GB subject,
- TGr 10, S.M.81 or S.M.82 -> they have the Radial engines that rock!!!

Regards, V-P

Edited by vppelt68
  • Like 1

Thanks V-P, I've added you to the list.

One of the aspects of GBs that I enjoy, is selecting the subject to fit the theme (not always easy).

It would be quite an achievement if you manage to get your entire collection of Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey aircraft built as part of GBs next year!

Cliff

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a glance in the display cabinet and it is dominated by jet aircraft, only 5 with props and none are radials, so that in itself is a good excuse to get involved.

Add me to the list Cliff.

• Like 2

Thanks John

I've added you to the list :)

It's a bit of a 'slow burner' this GB, but with just three more signatories we will be at the magic 30!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

I'd like to join, and bring the Amodel Tomashevich Pegas to the party. It has two 5-cylinder air-cooled radials, and is double-ugly.

• Like 2