Radial Engines Rock GB Chat

CliffB

Dates now confirmed: 29th July - 3rd December 2017

Hosts:  CliffB and milktrip

Can you have too many suggestions for future GBs?

If not, how about a celebration of the one true aero engine - so good they even put them into tanks!

Anything powered by a radial or rotary piston engine would qualify.

I fancy a Lockheed twin.......

Cliff

Signed up so far:

1. CliffB (Co host)

2. kwaterous

3. Bengalensis

4. heloman1

5. Radleigh

6. Col.

7. The Cameraman

8. Paul J

9. MAD STEVE

10. milktrip (Co host)

11. S48

12. hgbn

13. Doug Rogers

14 Rob G

15 Smuts

16 theplasticsurgeon

17 Caerbannog

18 somtec

19 georgeusa

20 badger

21 stevehnz

22 Arniec

23 SleeperService

24 Shermaniac

25 PlaStix

26 vppelt68

27 nimrod54

28 Mark

29 Bill Ficner

30 Black Knight

31 Blitz23

32 Mozzy19

33 DarylH

34 wellzy

35 Admiral Puff

36 Enzo Matrix

37 Sgt. Squarehead

38 TrojanThunder

39 Kingtiger

40 TonyTiger66

41 Christer A

42 Dermo245

43 PhantomBigStu

44 wimbledon99

45 Ettore

46 Mancunian airman

Thanks K :)

Not too much interest so far, but let's see what the weekend brings!

I used to view the air-cooled radial engine as a bit of an archaic concept. The reality of course is that the pinnacles of single seat piston engine fighter design ended up being powered by radial engines. Most importantly though, they just look fantastic.

A wide range of potential aviation subjects are available of course, from WWI up to the 'Nam and Cold War.

Fighters, trainers, transports, bombers.

Military and civil (propliner anyone?)

one engine, two, three, four, more.....

Helicopters...

and then of course the tanks. Lee, Sherman and others. Basically anything tall and vulnerable (due to a radial engine being mounted upright in the back) - what a concept.

I'm honestly not sure about maritime applications....

Cheers

Cliff

Hi There,

well this would give me a kick up the backside, to get me doing plastic surgery, for the first time for well over thirty years and I would grab one of the many Airfix Beavers from my stash.

There's nothing quite like a radial engine, in my book.

When fitted to a float plane, it's brilliant.

When fitted to a Beaver, it's bliss.

When fitted to a Beaver, on floats, it's magical!

regards

Reggie

• Like 1

Thanks guys - a third of the way there!

I do hope someone builds a Beaver.........and a tank ;)

Cheers

Cliff

No worries about Beavers! WIth Reggie the Cameraman and my self there will be two to start with! I may even do an Otter!! On floats too......maybe!!

• Like 1

You want a Beaver....... Well I have two that need a excuse to be built. a Airfix and a Hobby Craft with the entire fuselage in clear plastic which is bound to be a floatplane :winkgrin: Count me in

• Like 2

Thanks guys - a third of the way there!

I do hope someone builds a Beaver.........and a tank ;)

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

I dare not say just how many Beaver's I have in my stash!

But at the last count there were in excess of 30 Airfix, 1 Frog, a couple of prototype 1/200 scale, in white metal, a Kelloggs freebee, plus loads of decals. My good mate Andy, from Thunderbird Models has some new decals for the Otters to be released next month and some Beaver stuff in March.

My stash is rather odd, there are only Beavers, a couple of Audi rally cars and a few 1/24 scale Mini's and that's it!

Regards

Reggie

• Like 1

Oh drat.... now I have to join another GB.

Seeing as it's rotaries as well as radials, I may be able to enter a representation of Mr Tommy Sopwith's Camel. Failing that, I do got some radials in other guises. Including a Sea Fury with all the resin bits.

And before anyone else asks, I take it that Wankel/Mazda rotaries are excluded? (seeing as they don't got pistons 'n' all.)

Edited by Rob G

I'm honestly not sure about maritime applications....

Cheers

Cliff

From Wikipedia:

One example is the Zvezda diesel boat engine series with 56 cylinders or 112-cylinders in 8 or 16 rows of 7 cylinders each displacing 383 litres (23,931 in3) and producing 10,000 hp (7,500 kW). These were used on fast attack craft, such as Osa class missile boats.

383 litres!! Just a small one, lads, don't need to go too fast today.

And also, so that the car builders can get a look-in...

https://oldmachinepress.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/1935-monaco-trossi/

The world is weird, indeed.

• Like 1

Count me in Cliff, got several to choose from.

Cheers Doug, I'll sign you up.

Oh drat.... now I have to join another GB.

Seeing as it's rotaries as well as radials, I may be able to enter a representation of Mr Tommy Sopwith's Camel. Failing that, I do got some radials in other guises. Including a Sea Fury with all the resin bits.

And before anyone else asks, I take it that Wankel/Mazda rotaries are excluded? (seeing as they don't got pistons 'n' all.)

Hi Rob, personally I think that the engines should ideally have pistons, as that's probably a fundamental part of the appeal.

But then again there would be the inevitable comedy value of having a Wankel in the GB......oooh Matron etc etc. Perhaps better not :winkgrin:

From Wikipedia:

One example is the Zvezda diesel boat engine series with 56 cylinders or 112-cylinders in 8 or 16 rows of 7 cylinders each displacing 383 litres (23,931 in3) and producing 10,000 hp (7,500 kW). These were used on fast attack craft, such as Osa class missile boats.

383 litres!! Just a small one, lads, don't need to go too fast today.

And also, so that the car builders can get a look-in...

https://oldmachinepress.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/1935-monaco-trossi/

The world is weird, indeed.

Thanks for this Rob - that Monaco Trossi is the dogs. Can you imagine popping down to Sainsburys in that!

Cliff

Hi Rob, personally I think that the engines should ideally have pistons, as that's probably a fundamental part of the appeal.

But then again there would be the inevitable comedy value of having a Wankel in the GB......oooh Matron etc etc. Perhaps better not :winkgrin:

Thanks for this Rob - that Monaco Trossi is the dogs. Can you imagine popping down to Sainsburys in that!

Cliff

re the Wankel, I was just playing Devil's advocate (in case no-one had thought of it previously). Quite amazing little things, but not real motors. :D

And the others... your comment sparked that little bug in my head that says "Let's find out!" Because interesting is interesting. I read up on the Monaco-Trossi - apparently it was a dog, 75% of the weight over the front axle made its handling a little difficult... YOU can take it to Sainsburys, I'll take photos for the coroner. :D Now if they'd thought to move the motor to behind the driver...

The big Russian radial boat engine led me to the Napier Deltic - for those who are into reciprocating thingies, there's one to look up.

• Like 1