Tamiya 1/12 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 'Pearl Crystal White' Scheme

My first foray into the world of bike kits.... I am completely ignorant about bikes in the real world - my bike only goes as fast as I can pedal it! :bristow:

So, here's the kit:

15670269714_ea670c1f4b_c.jpg

Tamiya Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 Box by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

I've decided to go for the white scheme above.

So far, I've assembled and primed the engine block and assembled parts of the frame and the exhaust. Overall, it seems to be a well moulded and well engineered kit, although the plastic does seem a little hard and brittle and needs a little extra care when cleaning up.

I've stripped all the chrome off the exhaust sprue, as I want to have a go with the Alclad high shine chrome finish, which I haven't used before. I'll be using a mixture of Tamiya acrylics/sprays, Alclads and possibly some of the Mr Hobby metallic finishes.

More photos to follow.

Cheers,

Andrew

Excellent first bike especially for someone like me who also only pedals a bike. It goes together really well and if you have stripped the chrome then i think you will have solved what i found to be the worst (seems unfair calling any of this kit the worst) part. looking forward to seeing it in white as hopefully you may avoid the decals silvering and showing up a lot as happened with mine.

Good luck and enjoy

Graham

Woohoo Andrew...

Welcome to the Dark Side :ninja:

An excellent choice to start off with and im sure you'll do a cracking job.

If you need any help, myself and all the other bike builders are here to answer any questions..

Good Luck

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,

just to show I've not been completely idle, here a couple of pictures:

16307067732_fe612d355b_c.jpg

Untitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

15685512854_cd41fe69f9_c.jpg

As you can see, I've mostly been assembling basic components and cleaning up seams so far. Hopefully, I'll make a start on some painting today.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 2

Just remember that you'll have to take the air filter out and clean it every month in the summer as that big hole above the lights sucks in everything like a jet engine.

• Like 2

Hi Andrew,

Nice start, looks good.

May I make a suggestion ?

I found that the handlebar attachment points are quite weak if you paint them, them glue them together. I suggest clipping them from the sprue and glueing them together and letting them cure before painting.

I have done this with my hayabusa and they are a lot stronger than the ones on my ZX-14.

Looking forward to seeing this in the white.

ATB,

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

Yup,

I've got some black on the engine, frame, swing arm and a few other bits. Will post an update soon, but life gets in the way, as ever!

Is there any reason why the instructions refer variously to both to TS-29 and X-18? They're both semi-gloss black, presumably the same...

I prefer airbrush to rattle can, so I've only used X-18.

Cheers,

Andrew

Apologies for the lack of updates - I have been plugging away at this build, but I still mostly have a box full of variously painted parts - I hoping it'll all come together in the end. I not really happy with some of the painting, so I going to redo some parts and then try and get this finished!

I've done the decals on the instrument panel - not altogether as well as I'd hoped, but there you go:

15786605714_1bfcdbc126_c.jpg

More to follow.

Andrew

A little more progress:

16409802722_5e4ddbab0d_c.jpg

Alclad polished aluminium and pale gold, with some flory models dark dirt on the chain. Still need to pick out the valve detail.

(and yes, the tyre is on the wrong way round :banghead: )

Andrew

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence

Spent the morning masking up one of the two front brake disks - turned out ok, I think:

16441463662_cf21c8a695_c.jpg

Also completed the rear suspension:

16256491987_3a6c615d79_c.jpg

Still need to respray the engine and radiator pipework, and some bits of the front fork, otherwise it's mostly just assembly left to do...

Cheers,

Andrew

I still need to add the pearl topcoat to the white, but I am quite liking the colours:

16264434748_8b599cf233_c.jpg

I think it's going to look good with the decals and finishing touches.

My first attempt at Alclad Chrome also went pretty well, although I would pay more attention to preparation next time. Going to add a little heat discolouration to the hot end, nothing too garish, maybe even just a mist of Tamiya smoke...?

16265875939_2f1c9ea1f1_c.jpg

First stage of the handle bar painting:

15832059133_6515f1b81b_c.jpg

and the front forks (seams and all :banghead: )

15832067783_a03211a3d5_c.jpg

Stay tuned for more...

Thanks for dropping by!

Andrew

• Like 3

Love the colour scheme, I am definitely sold on building another one of these bikes in the alternate colour scheme,

Looking forward to seeing this one finished with all of the panels on.

Keep up the good work, Andrew.

ATB,

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

Thanks Rick.

Had a go at masking the silver ring surrounding the bolt at the top of the fork:

16264816978_3bf6429c2e_c.jpg

I think my mask was slightly too big, but it still turned out better than I thought it might. Might try again if I can find a 3.5mm hollow punch...off to eBay, I think.

Cheers,

Andrew