General 'Fun' Ship Question

This is just purely for fun and to get an idea of what the most well known ships are. Hopefully quite a few of you will answer!

There are just 2 questions that don't require much thought and effort!

The first is - Name 3 Real Ships?

The second is - What is your Nationality?

For the first question the ships can be anything that has or does currently exist (nothing fictitious!). They can be sailing ships, merchant ships, warships, old ships or new ships. All you need to do is write down the first 3 real ships that spring to mind.

thanks

Mike

Some interesting answers!

My first 3 were HMS Victory, HMS Hood, HMS Ark Royal, (soon followed by HMS Royal Sovereign and HMS Belfast and Renown).

It proves a point I made on the Model Warships forum. An American stated that 'ask anyone the most famous ships and off the top of their head they will say Titanic, Bismarck and Missouri'. My point was that it would depend on what country your are from, outside of the US, chances hardly anyone would say Missouri!

thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikemx
  • Like 1

RMS Titanic

HMS Victory

Cutty Sark

And I'm Australian, by way of English birth.

Thing is, a lot of the answers to this quiz will depend not so much on your nationality, as on your interests. Personally, I'm not that much into ships, and I have little time for US warships, of any age. One of my local club members, however, might have trouble stopping at 3, and all 20 he rattled off would be US. Another deciding factor may be what's in your mind at the moment - I've been reading about the First Fleet recently, and so HMS Sirius, HMS Supply and Lady Penrhyn could also have made the list - the first 2 as the fleet's principal vessels (both carried Phillip's flag at various times) and the last because she was such a dog; so slow that the whole fleet quite often had to shorten sail so as not to lose touch with her.

And I have an interest in Arctic/Antarctic exploration... does the name HMCS Karluk ring a bell with anyone? If not, look her up - terribly sad and noble story.