1/35 Trumpeter Russian BTR-80A APC

plasmahal

**Update** - Weathering Part One.

Moving onto weathering now. I plan to do various stages of washes then move onto pigments.

Stage one was to airbrush on low pressure some grime was to the underside and the wheels.

DSCF9145.JPG

This was then cleaned up and sealed with pledge.

DSCF9146.JPG

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 3

This is looking fantastic, i really like the colour modulation you have achieved and very nice detail work, another two weeks and i will be at the hobby store to get mine.

**Update** - Weathering Part Three.

Another wash was applied, this time a combination of sand and light washes. This was cleaned up and the sealed.

DSCF9163.JPG

DSCF9171.JPG

DSCF9172.JPG

I tried brushing on some MIG sand pigment but to be honest, it didn't float my boat. Didn't seem to add anything to the overall dusty weathered look I have.

I'm not sure if any pigments are required.

I'm at that point where I have to step back and say to myself 'I'm happy with that, it seems just right'.

However, a part of me thinks, 'Will it get better if I try some different pigments?'.

I would appreciate some feedback and advice please.

• Like 3

**Update** - Final sealing coat??.

Ok, the intention was always to finish off with a matt type coat. So I have sprayed W&N satin varnish at high pressure from a distance. This gives a nice matt look (despite the flash still making it look a little glossy when it isn't).

DSCF9179.JPG

• Like 1

Been a great build to follow. Not heard of using "Pledge" before. Could you explain the benefits of using it. Great build by the way.

It's what has replaced the original 'Klear'.

Basically a sealing coat after each weathering step.

• Like 1

It's what has replaced the original 'Klear'.

Basically a sealing coat after each weathering step.

Thanks for clearing that up. I always thought 'Pledge' was furniture polish :o

**Update** - Additional Equipment Part Two.

Been working the finishing touches today.

Progressed the light and indicators. Used Tamiya clear orange and red and also painted the backs of the lenses with aluminum metalizer.

DSCF9197.JPG

Then got the lenses glued into the headlights and touched up with Tamiya X-1 where required.

DSCF9211.JPG

Now with the rear lights fitted.

DSCF9219.JPG

Now with front head lights and indicators fitted (just make the out behind the shroud).

DSCF9222.JPG

DSCF9228.JPG

Just need to apply some weathering to blend in with the rest of the model.

• Like 4

**Update** - Desert Base.

When I started this build I did not have any intention of doing a base. But as the build progressed, I felt that not to do a base would detract from the end product.

So I got some cheap supplies together. Bought a frame and polyfilla for under £5. Other materials I already had.

DSCF9182.JPG

DSCF9184.JPG

So using the available supplies, I mixed up some various grades of sand and some scenery rocks/slate.

DSCF9185.JPG

The frame was re-painted using Tamiya X-9 and left to dry and harden overnight.

Then the frame was masked up and the polyfilla applied to the inside of the frame with a spreader. Then the smoothed out with a little water. While this all still wet, the sand mix was liberally added.

DSCF9186.JPG

DSCF9189.JPG

This was then left to dry and harder overnight. The excess sand was the removed.

The sandy area was base coated with Vallejo air middle stone.

DSCF9232.JPG

This was then dry brushed with vallejo model colour Iraqi sand.

DSCF9233.JPG

Then the base was hit with the same wash mixture (sand + light) as the model was.

DSCF9236.JPG

After another round of dry brushing, here's the finished base.

DSCF9238.JPG

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 4