HMS Splendid - 1/350 scale conversion

Inspired by Andrew's excellent conversion - and prompted by an observation that I didn't have an 'S-Boat' in my collection, I decided to make a model of HMS Splendid.

This was a Swiftsure Class submarine that preceded the Trafalgar Class.

With notes from Andrew (many thanks :thumbsup:) the hull was shortened by 7mm, the upper rudder was also cropped and the single vents on the hull sides of the Trafalgar were replaced by two smaller vents per side.

350-HMS%20Splendid_01.jpg

The finished model.....

350-HMS%20Splendid_05.jpg

350-HMS%20Splendid_08.jpg

Comparison between Trafalgar and Splendid.....

350-HMS%20Splendid_09.jpg

More photos here.

Ken

• Like 12

Ken nice build, might give this a go myself at 1/700. Mike the swiftsure class were the first fitted with pump jet propulsors, Trafalgar wasn't as the lead boat and to my knowledge hasn't been retrofitted.

All the best Chris

When I was searching for images of HMS Splendid, I came across some photos of HMS Spartan fitted with a Dry Deck Shelter (DDS) for special ops work - now that would make for an interesting conversion.

http://www.rnsubs.co.uk/Boats/BoatDB2/img/spartan1.jpg

This site has some 'walkround' photos - although the text is in Portuguese.

Ken

I'm surprised that Airfix haven't followed up their excellent Trafalgar with other RN post-war subs - like a Churchill or Swiftsure or the diesel O & P Classes

etc.

I wonder if he Trafalgar kit sold well enough to make others seem worthwhile ?? - maybe we need to petition them ??

I think the reason is the availability of decent drawings..... ???

Ken

• Like 1

To be honest Ken, Airfix releasing another submarine kit other than repackaging someone elses, seems unlikely. As previously said HMS Conqueror would have been a lovely addition to their falklands set, yet not a peep.

Have HMS Churchill, 2 versions of HMS Oberon, HMS Upholder, HMS Resolution, HMS Vanguard, HMS Trafalgar in 1/700 by OKB would love to see more in 1/350, I think our best bet lies with Mikromir to be honest which is a shame on the UK model manufacturers.

Chris

If we can provide accurate drawings - especially cross-sections - I'm sure that MikroMir would take up the challenge.

In 1/350, all I've got is HMS Odin, Trafalgar, Vanguard, Astute, Splendid - and I'm just about to finish HMS M1.

But that's it for British subs - but just look at the list for US and Russian subs:- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_submarines_350_scale.html

Cheers

Ken

• 2 years later...
On 17/01/2015 at 09:34, whitestar12chris said:

............As previously said HMS Conqueror would have been a lovely addition to their falklands set, yet not a peep.

........... would love to see more in 1/350, I think our best bet lies with Mikromir to be honest which is a shame on the UK model manufacturers.

Chris

I'm just revisiting this thread and am interested to know if any company has produced 1:350 scale Swiftsure or Churchill classes of subs since?  I have a (Falklands) diorama on the go which will involve either one of these class of boats.  If not, then I shall have to attempt a conversion following Andrewa's thread, as mentioned in the first post by Flankerman.  If anyone has any further details, plans or tips on this then I would be grateful to hear from them.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike, fraid not, still waiting, reference Churchill class submarine, with a bit of work Mikromir's model of the Resolution class could be shaped into a Churchill class as they were modified Valiants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolution-class_submarine

All the best Chris

Hi Chris,

I didn't realise that the Churchill and Resolution classes were so similar; thanks, I will start looking for more details.  I'm just trying to work out the waterline for the S class and, by looking at photo's, it would appear to be a scale 10mm down from the main deck and just below the vents.

cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...