Hataka

mekon

• 1 month later...

I picked up the Hataka US Navy set a couple of weeks ago but I've been pretty disappointed with them. The colours may be accurate but the quality of the paint seem poor. I'll say up front that I've only tried this one set and it may be that I've got a bad batch. The main issue is the transparency of the paint. It seems to have very little pigment and is quite milky in consistency. I did a test to compare it with other brands.

Hataka Insignia white

16623534782_c3e07e9911_c.jpg

These were painted on a primed strip of plasticard. The brush painted samples were given one even coat. Both the Vallejo and Tamiya were thinned a little to aid flow but the Hataka is strait from the pot. The sprayed samples were all thinned roughly 50/50 with Ultimate thinner and given a single even coat. The Hataka paint seems to give very little coverage and even with additional coats the finish is transparent and patchy.

The Hataka had been very well shaken (bear in mind, they include ball bearings in the pots to aid mixing) and I'd also removed the dropper top and mixed the paint manually in case the pigment had settled (which it hadn't). I've had exactly the same results with the remaining colours in the set (Sea Blue, Inter Blue & Dark Gull Grey). As I said before, it could simply be a bad batch but, if so, it's affected each bottle in the set which at the least points to poor quality control. If anyone wants, I can do another test with the other colours.

Andy

• Like 2

I picked up the Hataka US Navy set a couple of weeks ago but I've been pretty disappointed with them. The colours may be accurate but the quality of the paint seem poor. I'll say up front that I've only tried this one set and it may be that I've got a bad batch. The main issue is the transparency of the paint. It seems to have very little pigment and is quite milky in consistency. I did a test to compare it with other brands.

... The sprayed samples were all thinned roughly 50/50 with Ultimate thinner and given a single even coat. The Hataka paint seems to give very little coverage and even with additional coats the finish is transparent and patchy.

The Hataka had been very well shaken (bear in mind, they include ball bearings in the pots to aid mixing) and I'd also removed the dropper top and mixed the paint manually in case the pigment had settled (which it hadn't). I've had exactly the same results with the remaining colours in the set (Sea Blue, Inter Blue & Dark Gull Grey). As I said before, it could simply be a bad batch but, if so, it's affected each bottle in the set which at the least points to poor quality control. If anyone wants, I can do another test with the other colours.

Andy

You have described almost exactly my experiences with the Hataka Luftwaffe paint set :weep: (except that I ended up unconvinced by the accuracy of some of the colours as well)

Cheers,

Stew

You have described almost exactly my experiences with the Hataka Luftwaffe paint set :weep: (except that I ended up unconvinced by the accuracy of some of the colours as well)

Cheers,

Stew

Glad it's not just me then. It's a shame as they looked like they could have been a nice range. I didn't go into accuracy much as I don't have that much ref. to compare them to and I couldn't get them to build up enough colour density anyway.

Andy

• Like 1

Glad it's not just me then. It's a shame as they looked like they could have been a nice range. I didn't go into accuracy much as I don't have that much ref. to compare them to and I couldn't get them to build up enough colour density anyway.

Andy

:lol: I was equally relieved to hear that it wasn't just me - not that the suffering of others ever makes me feel any better in myself, but I am quite new to acrylics and was thinking it must be something I was doing wrong, even though I couldn't see what that could be...

It is a shame, but it could be we did just get a bad batch, they are new and possibly not yet good at getting consistency with their paints... but I will wait and see what the voice of the beehive says before I get any more :fraidnot:

Cheers,

Stew

In that case I won't be disappointed that they don't do a VVS set. Oh; they're acrylics also. I can't stand acrylics for airbrushing. They cause almost instant clogging on my airbrush.

Regards,

Jason

I am having a nightmare with them clogging - even an 0.4 needle. Seriously wee weed off, think I'm going to treat what I've done as an undercoat & start again with my trusty Lifecolor...

Wonder if emodels will take them back?

I've got the RAF set to try on my typhoon some stage later this week, and will report back.

By all accounts though there seem to be 2 main problems:

1/ thickness of the paint. One review I read said that it was drying on the nozzle very quickly - might not be such a problem when thinned down? Or is this because it is quick drying, in which case would there be some paint retarder (did I make that word up?) to use with it?

2/ it's been known to come off if you don't use primer. I'll be using halfords grey primer for the typhoon and will put on a good preshade.

Related to point 2, a few people have commented on the paint being quite thin and needing several layers... Which might be a good indication of putting in a bit of work on the primer and ensuring a good coat?

One final comment is regarding the RLM colours - I've seen Stew's do17 build and the standard camouflage doesn't look anything like I would expect it to? Almost like it belonged to the kreigsmarine instead?

I'll report back when the paint is on the tiffie!

• Like 2

I've got the RAF set to try on my typhoon some stage later this week, and will report back.

By all accounts though there seem to be 2 main problems:

1/ thickness of the paint. One review I read said that it was drying on the nozzle very quickly - might not be such a problem when thinned down? Or is this because it is quick drying, in which case would there be some paint retarder (did I make that word up?) to use with it?

2/ it's been known to come off if you don't use primer. I'll be using halfords grey primer for the typhoon and will put on a good preshade.

Related to point 2, a few people have commented on the paint being quite thin and needing several layers... Which might be a good indication of putting in a bit of work on the primer and ensuring a good coat?

One final comment is regarding the RLM colours - I've seen Stew's do17 build and the standard camouflage doesn't look anything like I would expect it to? Almost like it belonged to the kreigsmarine instead?

I'll report back when the paint is on the tiffie!

Hi Chris,

Further to your points raised, just to elaborate on a couple:

If you thin the paint as recommended, it is as runny as to be almost transparent; if you thin it much less it clogs the airbrush tip in short order. I've no idea if a retarder would help, but if one were necessary I would have thought at least someone would have mentioned it :D. I used primer, I always do for external surfaces; I had no problems with paint coming off and indeed, in the end it was at least usable as an undercoat for what I felt to be more correct colours.

I am very pleased for modelmaker77 who seems happy enough with what he got, but it was not my experience.

I too have the RAF set and although the almost unthinned Interior Grey-Green performed okay and didn't get used long enough to clog the nozzle, I am (and I hope it is understandable) reluctant to try the other colours, preferring to return to my safe haven of enamels.

I look forward to reading your findings, I hope you have better luck.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Hi modelmaker77, I'm very glad to see someone has had better results with these paints than me. I'd actually seen that video before buying the set which was one reason I went ahead and got it. I can assure you though that those results would not have been possible from the paints I have. The problem would seem to be huge discrepancies between one set and another. These may be things the manufacturer can iron out in time but I do have to question the wisdom of releasing a new brand into a crowded market. Right now we've got Vallejo, Tamiya, Gunze, Lifecolor, Humbrol, Akan, AK, Ammo, Citadel and others, all with extensive ranges and all are a known quantity when it comes to colour accuracy and brush & airbrush application. For a new company to come into that market they would need to cross every t and dot every i and it would seem that Hakata haven't achieved that. I do hope they improve but, for now I'll stick with the products I'm familiar with.

I did notice from your test shot above that you've got quite an even matt finish whereas my samples were not particularly matt and had no 'body' to the paint. I am wondering if a manufacturing step has been missed on some batches and no matting agent or filler has been added to the paint.

All the best

Andy

Hello Andy,

It is a shame you experienced issues with the paints. Hataka has done me proud ;-) I used all the colours from the set, thinned with Vallejo NOT ultimate as mentioned before. Also I had no problem with clogging of the nozzle.

To get the best surface effect, I used several thin layers.

Hope this helps. ;-)

oh! I have seen some of your work and I must say, it is fantastic ;-)

I gave the Azure blue from the Africa set a quick go this weekend.

First it was very important to shake the living daylights out of it before doing anything - there was a lot of separation of the paint in the bottle.

Thinned about 20% with Ultimate Thinners, and sprayed fine - covered over white plain plastic with no problems.

Not scientific, and only tried one colour, but all 4 colours seemed to have the same separation in the bottle.

First it was very important to shake the living daylights out of it before doing anything - there was a lot of separation of the paint in the bottle.

Thinned about 20% with Ultimate Thinners, and sprayed fine - covered over white plain plastic with no problems.

I shook mine for what felt like an entire era :D

There appears to be a lack of consistency between batches; as Andy notes if you are going to release a new product into an already crowded market you need to be completely on top of QC for a start; I would be reluctant to shell out for another set now in the hope that it would be better than the last one.

Cheers,

Stew

I promised that I would write a review on the RAF set when I had used them on the Typhoon. Sadly, I'm a little tight on time tonight... however, I can write a little bit about my experiences with them.

I started painting the Typhoon this morning, having given it a good coat with Halfords Primer and let this settle down over a couple of days. I then also followed my usual technique of going over the panel lines with a thinned out base coat of black. The logic behind this was to give the paint a decent base to settle down on - two reasons really: 1/ I'd heard it was a little transparent at the best of times and 2/ I'd heard that the paint had a tendency to peel off.

I started with using the Ocean Grey - and used the recommended thinning setting. At first, I was impressed by the way the paint flowed from the brush. It was thin, and amply highlighted the work I'd already done underneath this coat. However, it was then I encountered my first problem - the paint was too thin and started puddling. The instructions recommend several slow and thin coats to build up the colour, however, at this thinned stage, a single coat was already proving to be too wet. So I scrubbed it off with my emergency cloth, binned the rest of the thinned paint and then tried again. This time, I used about 20% thinner to paint - it behaved itself a lot better. It didn't puddle so much - and flowed nicely.

I then used the Green, which is where I ran into further thinning problems - the 20% thinner to paint ratio was causing puddling. So, I reduced the thinner even further. And still puddling. So in the end, I tried it neat - and it was perfect. I'm using a H+S Evolution with a 0.2 needle, and there was no clogging or blocking.

The same can be said for the Mid Sea Grey too. It needed to be run neat in order to be anywhere near usable and stop puddling.

I tried the Sky - and thinned it down, however, it was the same thing again. So I ended up scratching it and opting for my emergency supply of Tamiya Sky.

Anyway, on balance, I think the paints are good. The thinning issue is most highly likely down to me and my inexperience at using these paints. In the future, I will try them without thinning first and then adjust if needed.

Regarding the colour matching, this is what my Typhoon looks like now - the only addition was a brief highlight of very thin Tamiya Smoke over the rivets:

IMG_9913_zpspjy59pth.jpg

In my opinion, I think the colours are a pretty good match. Not a million miles removed from the Tamiya RAF paints... I'd use again for certain, but I think I'd like to practice with them first of all.

Anyway, over to you!

Chris

• Like 5

I think the key is just to experiment with it really - some seem to spray really nicely neat and some seem to need a bit of thinning.

Those which spray nicely neat seem to have a hatred of thinner though and you'll know as soon as you've sprayed it that you've got it wrong!

Chris

• Like 1

I found this review about Hataka paints online by http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=11083

The review is very in depth and informative. I'm sure this would help model makers, before they make their purchase.

I have also noticed Hataka have brought out a new paint set, USAF Paint Set (European Camouflage). No one seem's to have it at the moment other than EMODELS.co.uk. However I believe they are the sole UK importer.

htk-a10.png
Just purchased, I will let you know how I get on ;-)

http://www.emodels.co.uk/hataka-usaf-paint-set-european-camouflage-as10.html

• Like 1