1:48 Seafire F.XVII 1833 NAS SX111

Airfix 1:48 Supermarine Seafire F.XVII in the Fleet Air Arm 1833 NAS (RNVR).

I grew up in Nuneaton in Warwickshire and on Sundays the band I was in would practice in the hangers at the nearby Bramcote Barracks (Actually Gamecock Barracks but we never used the new name). There are no runways at Bramcote anymore and I always wondered what aircraft were housed in those hangers.

Over Christmas this year I went shopping with SWMBO and in Hobbycraft I spotted this kit going cheap due to a damaged box so decided to make it up as a fast fun build with no aftermarket additions.

Research turned up that 1833 NAS Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve flew the seafire XVII from Bramcote in the early 50s so that rather fixed which scheme I would build it as.... but which particular aircraft?

SX111 BR 153 was a Westlands build Seafire that was with 1831 Squadron at RAF/RNAS Stretton from May 1948 to July 1950 when it was transferred to 1833 NAS at RAF/RNAS Bramcote (HMS Gamecock).

On 13 October 1951 SX111 was being flown by Lt. E.A Benson, presumably on a training sorte. Whilst in formation over Oxfordshire SX111 for some unknown reason broke formation somewhere over RDU Culham and crashed 2 miles north of Abingdon, Killing Lt. Benson. And that is all I can find out about the incident, or about this pilot. His death is listed on the Royal Navy lists.

So I have portrayed the aircraft this young man flew, parked as it might have been, wings folded, in those big old hangars I got to know as a young man.

I have the rockets I could add, but I am still unsure if I should.... a decision I am holding off on - doing some research into the colour of the concrete practice rounds.

WIP Thread here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973693-148-seafire-xvii-raf-bramcotehms-gamecock/

DSCN0539_zps72c50bff.jpg

DSCN0540_zps3bbd18d9.jpg

DSCN0541_zpsdab2a914.jpg

DSCN0542_zpsdced4e15.jpg

DSCN0543_zps12b76183.jpg

DSCN0544_zpse9ce06bd.jpg

DSCN0546_zps84d711cc.jpg

DSCN0547_zps1eb525be.jpg

DSCN0550_zps889ffbcb.jpg

DSCN0551_zpsa4df1870.jpg

DSCN0552_zps8628416c.jpg

DSCN0553_zps4886e52c.jpg

DSCN0554_zpsb0615e80.jpg

DSCN0555_zps176c5e9a.jpg

DSCN0556_zpsffbf5e70.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

FB

Edited by Flying Badger
  • Like 21

Thanks Threadbear

All the panel lines were first pre-shaded in black before I put the top coat colours on.

After that there were several coats of Kleer/future either side of the decals and then I added on some Flory Models Dark Dirt weathering wash, flooding the panel lines in particular. Once it was dry I rubbed off the excess with dry cotton buds and tissue.

I also used some Flory Models Black weathering wash to add some dirt lines from a few access hatches, radiators and as some slight streaking from the exhausts.

Over the top of it all was a final coat of Tamiya X-35 Semi Matt clear varnish to seal everything in.

Paints are:

Internals: Tamiya XF-71 Cockpit Green, XF-01 Black, Revell 36137 (seat)

External: Tamiya XF-21 Sky

Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey

Tamiya XF-07 & X-07 Red (spinner + wing supports)

Revell 36115 Yellow (spinner tips)

Tamiya XF-85 Tyre Rubber Black

Various Alclad metallics for the gear legs and exhausts stubs

Revell 36191 Steel for the rear tail hook (needed to paint that with a hairy stick hence not Alclad)

Oh and I forgot to add that I scratch built the seat harness from Masking tape and lead wire:

DSCN0557_zpsf6763d26.jpg

Not the best photo and it's hard to see in the wings up configuration.

FB

Edited by Flying Badger

Ooooooooooooooh, that's nice!

It is indeed! I will have a scratch about and see if I can come up with anything else on the crash, no promises but I have been researching RNAS Culham for thirty years and your story kind of rings a bell.

Martin