Yagi antenna Swordfish

Boelie

Hello again

My next question concerning the Swordfish

The swordfish II was equiped with the earlier ASW radar system with the socalled Yagi antenna's

on the outboard wingstruts.

These antenna's are not provided in the kit,

nor is there (at least to my knowledge) any aftermarket set

so scratching seems to be the only option.

My question:

Does anyone has a good drawing or photograph of the Yagi antenna on the wing strut of the Swordfish

so i can make one myself ?

greetz

Ronald

Clear images showing the strut-mounted Yagi antenna on a Swordfish are thin on the ground. After looking through 4 different books, I found this one lone image in Warpaint No.12.

Yagi1001.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody

I copied the ones shown in the Tamiya instructions for the Mk II kit ( which has the attennae). http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/61099ml.pdf. The kit ones are a bit clunky so I made them from thinner rod. The attachment seems to wrap around the strut, between the rear and next horizontal rod in front.

Edited by neilh

thanks for your replies

When i wrote down "socalled " it was certainly not my intention to show disrespect of some kind

I found some info on this japanse inventor , but could not find a proper picture of this particular antenna on the Swordfish

As the mark III has a different kind of antenna it was just to make clear which antenna I was looking for.

Very happy with the picture and the reference to the Tamiya instructions ( I didn't know that the Tamiya kit had these antennas )

I am sorry to say that the Barracuda is not my most favorite looking aircraft .........

But the antennas are clearly visible :-)

greetz

Ronald

You can also see a smaller set on USN Dauntlesses, Avengers and presumably other types, where they are known (I believe) as the Baker array, but this may just be the phonetic alphabet. Plus of course larger ones on Sunderlands, Catalinas, Hudsons and even Hampdens (but rare to track down on that one). I believe the Germans did operate a few He111s in the Mediterranean with British ASV radar, but I've never seen any photos of these.

There is another part of the array that most people miss.

On the front of the upper wing, just above the fuselage, is another part of the system, the first picture here:

http://thebrigade.com/2013/08/21/looking-back-at-the-fairey-swordfish-bomber-37-photos/

Sorry about the few non-Swordfish pictures, but after an hour of scouring the internet that is the best image I can find.

Often that is the only indication that radar has been fitted as the censors remove/cover up the Yagi aerials on the struts but miss the bit on the upper wing.

Some aircraft still seem to retain the upper wing aerial even if the Yagi array has clearly been removed.

John

that second part of the array mounted on the upper centre wing section is also in the Tamiya Mk II kit ( and shown in the instructions available on line. I built mine from reshaped from old rocket heads from the spares box with a wire passed through holes drilled in the " acorns".