Tamiya 1/6 Suzuki Katana

Mencie

Hiya Mencie :bye:

God im going to sound like a real nit picker now, but dont you think the rear suspension makes the wheel sit too low?

Bugged me when I was building mine, and I chopped off about 3mm off the springs and shaft.

Probably to the normal person, theres no diff, but made me happier :)

Steve

G'day Steve, could the low appearance of the rear suspension be due to the stance of the bike when there is no weight on the rear hoop, hence no rear shock compression? Just a thought...

Mencie fantastic work, your work is so crisp you could slice bread with it,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day Steve, could the low appearance of the rear suspension be due to the stance of the bike when there is no weight on the rear hoop, hence no rear shock compression? Just a thought...

Mencie fantastic work, your work is so crisp you could slice bread with it,

cheers,

Pappy

Hiya Pappy :bye:

You know that could just be it.

I remember when I built mine i was lucky that i could just have a look at my friends one, and definately, once the rear body parts were on, the gap between the bodywork and tyre was much higher on the kit.

But hey, Im going to stop sounding like a rivet counter now and let us resume oogling Mencies nice work :analintruder:

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks buddy.

It's a good kit and fun to build, just what i need before embarking on a new, wholly uncharted modeling avenue.

Still busy on this though, prepping the bodywork at the moment so planning on an update mid-week.

Hi Mencie

Just come across this WIP , like what you have done so far

I have been building this since January when work does not get in the way , so some question

did you strip the chrome off the wheels and repaint. My wheels have ejector pin marks in them and need attention also not sure what chrome paint too use ,was thinking alclad polished ali

swing arm for rear wheel has seams that need attention and repaint

I have built up the front light fairing but found that needed alot of sanding to get rid of the joint

phil

• Like 1

Hi Phil, thank you.

In answer to your questions.

Wheels still have their original plating. To finish them, I simply painted the whole wheel with Tamiya Metallic Grey ENAMEL and then removed what I didn't want with a cotton bud soaked in Enamel Thinners.

For Chrome Paint, I use two different things, first one is Humbrol Chrome Silver. It comes in a spray can so I decant it into a jar and apply it with my Airbrush. Second one is of course Alclad Chrome although it seems to come up a bit dark for me.

One thing I purchased recently is C1 Metalizer, it's a buffing powder which gives some amazing finishes, have a look on ebay...

The swing arm needs work and there is no substitute for filler and time, once smooth, I applied Humbrol Silver, once again decanted from a spray can and applied through my Airbrush.

The fairing is the same story, so is the tank, filler and patience my friend, you will get there. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps.

Time once again not on my side but we do have progress in the shape of tank, side panels and headlamp and mount.

The decals were very fragile and didn't want to play nice, reacted badly to the clear coat as well, pretty much saved the day though. :)

Tamiya%20Big%20Scale%20Katana%20Frame11.

Cheers!

• Like 3