P 40 Far East Tigers duo, 1/72

JWM

Hi,

Just taking from shelf models which stand next to Thai Hawk 75N, which I posted few days ago....

Curtiss P 40 - this was my favourite fighter when I was about 10. This was because of the sharkmouth painted on almost each one. In my collection I have just three of them now - two of them I want to present today. One is Tomahawk, P 40 C (Academy, 1/72) in markings pilot R.T.Smith, 3rd Pursuit Squadron (Hell Angels), China Republic AF in winter 1941-42, operating over China-Burma border. The kit went serious surgery - fuselage was cut twice, in engine and behind the canopy. Perhaps the exhaust pipes were also moved - I do not remmeber it now very well. The coller inlet was also reshaped. From some days I was searching for plans which I was folowing when I was doing model, but I cannot find it now. It is about 20 years,,, Sorry. I know also, that I followed wrong profile, where it was suggested, that British B roundels on top were overpainted by Chinese olive green. I did it this way, but from this Forum I've learnt recently, that I was wrong. Perhaps one day I will correct this.

The second one is P 40 E (Hasegawa, 1/72 - OOB except decals) in markings of 11 Sq. 343 Group of "Aleutian Tigers", USAF, Aleutian Islands, 1942. In those times there was no Aleutian Tiger in Hasegawa box, I loved this camo so I painted "tiger" directly on model (what a risk! - not on decal). I followed the profile in which US markings were in form of just white stars. Frankly speaking - I am not sure if it is right. If anybody can confirm or denide it - I will then correct it also.

There is on my shelf the third one P 40 - an old Airfix model (rised lines and many rivets) which I converted into P 40 M when I was 16, and it is in markings of Col. Witold Urbanowcz - fameous Polish BoB ace from 303 Squadron RAF, the P40 M he used when he was fighting as volunteer at the end of WWII in China. If someone want to see it - please PM me.

In stash I have next three P40...I want to do N from New Zealand, K from RAF (desert) and Merlin one (F/L) from US or FFAF

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

p40 B DSC03173p40b DSC03167p40b DSC03168p40b DSC03169p40b DSC03171p40b DSC03172p40c DSC03183p40c DSC03184p40c DSC03185

And P 40 E:

p40e DSC03179p40e DSC03180p40e DSC03181p40e DSC03182

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 6

Your nice models have brought me some memories...

I painted "tiger" directly on model (what a risk! - not on decal).

You were a reader of "Skrzydlata Polska" in 1980s, weren't you? ;-) I used it as a base for my model too. I hope you won't mind if I dare to put its photo here:

wakuP40E.jpg

I followed the profile in which US markings were in form of just white stars. Frankly speaking - I am not sure if it is right. If anybody can confirm or denide it - I will then correct it also.

Now I think the artwork in "SP" was wrong. I see dark circles under stars here:

P-40E_AleutTiger_96_hanger.jpg

...so I made an Aleutian Tiger again.

• Like 1

Thank you Rav and Pascal for comments.

You were a reader of "Skrzydlata Polska" in 1980s, weren't you? ;-) I used it as a base for my model too. I hope you won't mind if I dare to put its photo here:

Thank you for your photos and link to photos of your new model - probably this was the reason (article i SP), but I do not recall is so clearly.

I least my question is answered .. I am probably too lazy to do next model, I will just replace stars, I am affraid...

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

I love seeing your models Jerzy - I'm trying to build the same Aleutian Tiger in the P-40 Group Build.

I would really like to see your Urbanowcz P-40M. I've just started building a 303 Sqn 'collection' (I have only completed one 303 build, so not really a collection yet), and I thought that building Urbanowcz's Flying Tiger would be a cool addition.

• Like 1

I would really like to see your Urbanowcz P-40M. I've just started building a 303 Sqn 'collection' (I have only completed one 303 build, so not really a collection yet), and I thought that building Urbanowcz's Flying Tiger would be a cool addition.

Thank you for comment. Below is my especially for you my very old P 40 M of Witold Urbanowicz, converted from Airfix P40E. I realy made it 39 or 40 years ago! I do not belive, that it is so long already. I think I was about 16, when I made it... :hmmm: .

As I look at it now it should be standard DE/DG RAF pattern with white 188 on tail, a sharkmouth (my is partially taken from Airfix kit with just background painted differently, but it should be more like it was later in Hasegawa P40E, more narrow at back and higher at front - as far as I remember my frustration that I am not doing exactly) and the most important small winged tiger below windscreen. This tiger is something I like still in this model - this is hand paint on a decal, the whole emblem has no more than 5 mm lenght...Now I do not think, that I will be able to paint it again.

Have a fun :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

p40m DSC03217p40mDSC03219p40 m DSC03220

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 1

Thank you...

I wrote a moment ago in google "Urbanowicz p-40" and found a lot of profiles and photos...

The only one profile with my small tiger is that one, but it is not in the same position:

http://aces.safarikovi.org/victories/poland-usa.html

Now it is so much easier to find photo (or profile) of certain machine....

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Nice job on those J-W! I built the academy kit in my early days and it sure didn't turn out as nice as yours. I recall the windscreen was terribly angled like that of a utility vehicle and it didn't look aerodynamic at all. Now I have some new models to make amends with, and I have been inspired by your contribution to the site.

• Like 1