Airfix 1/48 Gloster Javelin FAW.9 3rd April Now Finished!

Evening everyone

I've been plodding away with my Javelin and I'll be honest it hasn't been a marriage made in heaven. Having reached step 20 I duly test fitted and glued the cockpit tub and air intakes onto the fuselage bottom and this is what happened (excuse the green stuff on the cracks that's just some home made filler)

JAVELIN_zps11547a89.jpg

Cracks appeared in three places? I figured that this must be a problem with the kit so I scoured the Internet looking for other examples of this happening and guess what I couldn't find one!

Not to worry I've got the upper and lower fuselage half's together so I'll let it dry and tackle the cracks once everything has fully cured.

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 2

Ooh, that's not good; bad luck. The cockpit tub looks pretty well fitted now, though, so do you have any reason to think it will be repeated? Like you, I haven't heard anything but good reports of this kit, but I do know from my Airfix Vixen that tolerances in their modern too longs can be pretty tight. Are you sure you had no paint on any of the mating surfaces?

Love the work you've done on the pit.

Sorry to see the kit has some cracks, wonder if they were a result during manufacturing but were just not visible to start with.

Seems odd there's one on the intake opening too.....being a separate area. When I built mine it went together a dream (sorry), looks like you're on top of it though, maybe if the fuselage isn't glued I'd glue some thin plastic card on the inside to help strengthen it.

Best of luck, I'll follow with interest.

Jer

Ooh, that's not good; bad luck. The cockpit tub looks pretty well fitted now, though, so do you have any reason to think it will be repeated? Like you, I haven't heard anything but good reports of this kit, but I do know from my Airfix Vixen that tolerances in their modern too longs can be pretty tight. Are you sure you had no paint on any of the mating surfaces?

Love the work you've done on the pit.

Hi Ex-FAAWAFU

I honestly don't know how I've managed to make such a pigs ear of it? I thought I was being very diligent with my clean up of parts and test fitting but I'm really at a loss...however it's not the end of the world the cracks are filled and sanded flush all I need do now is rescribe the lost detail, which isn't that much, and crack on with it!

All the best

Yours aye

Iain

Sorry to see the kit has some cracks, wonder if they were a result during manufacturing but were just not visible to start with.

Seems odd there's one on the intake opening too.....being a separate area. When I built mine it went together a dream (sorry), looks like you're on top of it though, maybe if the fuselage isn't glued I'd glue some thin plastic card on the inside to help strengthen it.

Best of luck, I'll follow with interest.

Jer

Hey Jer

I'm sure it will all come good in the end? It's something that I've managed to induce I just dunno how. Still I'm still enjoying the kit it's just gonna take a little longer to complete tis all.

Cheers

Iain

Agree with Jer, that's some really weird places for the crack to occur! Some reinforcement would probably help as said, some card or sprue/glue pasted onto them.

Checked the other half of the kit for any signs of stress fractures or being too thin?

Three separate cracks in what look to be unrelated locations would suggest manufacturing faults rather than operator error. I'm sure you'll sort it and no-one will be able to notice anything. Very odd.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening everyone

I haven't been able to spend as much time as I'd liked on my Javelin but I have managed to make some progress. The problems that I encountered with the fuselage cracking have been fixed, the wings and nose cone are on and the tail has been assembled. I've masked and painted the canopy and painted the wheels. The assembled kit is gonna quite a heavy weight so I think I'll replace the kits plastic undercarriage with a set of SAC metal items. I'm really enjoying this kit, even with the problems I've had and I can't wait to get her painted. Anyway just a few pictures to show where I am as of now..

P1020584_zps16f90e95.jpg

P1020585_zpsc0286ca6.jpg

P1020586_zps3a0b9d9c.jpg

P1020587_zps10fed9fc.jpg

P1020589_zps203e2193.jpg

P1020592_zps6e9ba2e3.jpg

P1020593_zps286c8baa.jpg

The tail is only dry fitted and it will stay that way until its painted and decaled just for ease of handling as are the canopy's (the rear one needs its white border to be added) which I'll attach once the main painting has been finished and I've added the firing handles for the ejector seats.

A quick question does any body know if the canopy framework had rear view mirrors fitted front and rear?

Not a lot I know but hopefully I'll have more bench time this week.

Iain

• Like 5

Nice work, looks like you're making good progress. I'm battling on with my Javelin at the moment, having had numerous problems that were largely of my own making such as using halfords gloss lacquer over alclad (don't even be tempted). I also struggled with the fit of the nose section to the fuselage, no apparent reason but the damn thing just wouldn't come together. I had to spend 2 hours shaving bits off before I was anything like happy with it and it still isn't perfect. My main beef with this kit however is the appalling decals which are overly thick, refuse to sit down on the plastic, refuse to conform to even the gentle curve of the fuselage sides, silver even when applied to a high gloss surface and are noticably out of register in places. People keep going on about how thoughtful it was that airfix provided little holes in the over wing roundel for the vortex generators but then there is a whacking great lump of plastic right in front of them that isn't accounted for. It wouldn't matter if the decals were flexible but they simply crack at the slightest pressure. It occurred to me, maybe someone at Hornby thought it would be a good idea to outsource decal production to Academy?

• 4 weeks later...

Evening everyone, well I can't believe its been a month since my last post. Unfortunately I haven't been able to spend that much time at the bench, but I have managed a little progress.

The tail is finished...

P1020603_zpsyyvexcdl.jpg

P1020604_zpswcgd711u.jpg

It just needs weathering and a semi gloss coat.

The access ladder is also finised..

P1020602_zpsn6rcyxzl.jpg

P1020600_zpsasyndr83.jpg

From images I've seen on YouTube they could get quite beaten up so I used the 'Hairspray' technique to achieve the desired result

And I've made a start on the camo work on the air frame....

P1020599_zpsbha4m9qe.jpg

P1020595_zpsf9ygtwh4.jpg

P1020594_zps71ag5vhq.jpg

Well that's that! I'm only really updating my post just to prove that I am still working on her and enjoying it immensely. Hopefully Ill be able to get more bench time over the next week and really get stuck in!

Cheers all

Yours aye

Iain.

• Like 9

Evening everyone

A small update for you. The camo work is completed so I'll let it cure for 24 hrs before I mask it off and spray the lower fuselage high speed silver (Citadel Mithril silver) followed by the nose cone and jet intakes in rubber black with a hint of dark brown, then its a gloss coat, decals and weathering....sounds sooo easy!

I'm getting there though :yahoo:

P1020611_zpsebpdfcid.jpg

P1020610_zps4pxzyara.jpg

P1020609_zpsopoiidfx.jpg

P1020608_zps9aynvjli.jpg

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 14

Hey Crusty

Cheers mate. The Javelin is one of those planes, like the Hunter and Lightening that epitomize the Airforce and Airfix have made a cracking job of reproducing it in 1/48th. TBH though I'll be happy when this one is completed as she seems to have been on the bench since forever. Tonight I'll hopefully get the lower fuselage masked up and the high speed silver applied, well thats the plan anyway!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 2

Hi Iain,

I was wondering what had happened to this and I have to say you're doing a cracking job on it. The steps and camo look amazing! Well done.

Good to see it back in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Iain, looking good (as expected), I especialy like the steps. I havn't airbrushed Citadel paints myself, I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

I too would like one of these but I just can't bring myself to pay nearly 50 squid for a 1/48 kit, especially with postage to France. Perhaps if I wait long enough I'll find one at a discounted price.

Keep up the good work

John

• Like 1

Looks great, I think I need to save up my pennies and get my hands on one of these...

FF

Hey Forest

It really is a great kit. It's blummin big mind but it definately looks the part so go on get one

Hi Iain,

I was wondering what had happened to this and I have to say you're doing a cracking job on it. The steps and camo look amazing! Well done.

Good to see it back in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

hey stix thanks for looking in mate. Yeah I've been very quiet lately but I have been watching your builds with interest, great stuff. The javelin is turning out better than expected but it will be nice to get her finished.

Hi Iain, looking good (as expected), I especialy like the steps. I havn't airbrushed Citadel paints myself, I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

I too would like one of these but I just can't bring myself to pay nearly 50 squid for a 1/48 kit, especially with postage to France. Perhaps if I wait long enough I'll find one at a discounted price.

Keep up the good work

John

hi john thanks for the comments, yeah I'm pretty happy with the steps just a little general weathering and they're done. I agree £50 is a lot for a 1/48 kit but you do get a lot for your buck and she just looks so good when assembled.

Great job on the painting Iain. What paint did you use? I am struggling to find a good match for those colours in the Mr Hobby range so will need to look elsewhere.

Duncan B

hi Duncan I using the Tamiya RAF range XF 81 and 82 I think? once I've bleached them and given them s little weathering they will look passable. I'll be using MR metal for the tail pipes great stuff.

Thanks everyone for the kind words they are all really appreciated

Iain

• Like 1

Evening all

A small update for you. Yesterday I painted the underneath Citadel 'Mithril silver' to represent High speed silver and I'm quite happy with the results...

P1020614_zpsgrxozn9n.jpg

P1020618_zpsumgb4rpx.jpg

....there is very little tidying up to do, which considering how kag handed I can be when it comes to masking is a minor miracle!!

Tonight I've painted the radome XF-85 mixed with a little XF-68 and the exhaust cans were painted with Mr Metal Color 212 Iron. Tomorrow I'll mask and paint the lips on the air intakes the same colour as the radome and correct any problems before I give her a coat of Klear ready for decals over the weekend...

P1020619_zps5a7jlaxv.jpg

P1020621_zpszlvpfdhe.jpg

P1020622_zpsi772tq0m.jpg

P1020624_zps7tzq1gpn.jpg

P1020625_zpsd8eg7u0y.jpg

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 8