Airfix 1/48 Gloster Javelin FAW.9 3rd April Now Finished!

Hi Iain,

Looks like there's good progress going on here. The undersides look superb. Lovely stuff!

Hope you have have a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Looks good Iain. I'd love one of these, but for what we pay down under for them, I could almost get a real one...

Hi rob thanks for looking in are they really that expensive in Australia? I got mine for Christmas and I think the wife paid about £40 for it

The Citadel paint looks just right for a painted silver finish Iain, what did you thin it with?

I think I'll try that too, it would look great on my Blackpool Air Race Spitfire 21.

Cheers

John

Hey John

I used Tamiya X20A to thin it at about 60% thinners to 40 % paint and sprayed at 20 psi and I applied it in several thin coats over a primer of Tamiya XF 83 HTH.

Hi Iain,

Looks like there's good progress going on here. The undersides look superb. Lovely stuff!

Hope you have have a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix

Hopefully get her near to completion over the weekend and start my next build next week sometime. Have a great weekend yourself.

All the best

Iain

• Like 1

Hi rob thanks for looking in are they really that expensive in Australia? I got mine for Christmas and I think the wife paid about £40 for it

First one I saw (in a 'real shop') had $140 on it. £72. Just looked online, best I can find in Australia is on eBay, from an alleged Australian seller - $107 including postage. £55. And because of its size, it'll be $150 (£77) delivered from Hannants (who are my usual source for kits, decals, accessories etc.)

Tamiya's 1/350 scale ships are only $150 - $160... I guess the local distributor doesn't want to sell many Airfix Javelins. Which is a shame, as they're my 2nd favourite Brit a/c after the Lightning.

But then we're used to 'the Australia tax' - our 'remote location' is an excuse for all sorts of overcharging jiggerypokery from importers. Which is why so many of us shop online these days.

Edited by Rob G

Morning all

I've started to decal my Javelin and I have to say the Airfix decals are lovely to work with and they take to the Micro set/sol system beautifully. The only problem I've encountered were the fit of the roundels over the moldings on the wings. Airfix have thoughtfully created holes for the multitude of vortex generators however for the other lump n bump there isn't anything and the decal had real problems adhering to it...

P1020636_zps76itvalm.jpg

..This was obviously the same for both wings. Now how to correct the problem? I toyed with the idea of cutting up other decals to try and mask it but in the end I decided that repainting them was the easiest solution, so I cut out a paper mask, taped on side, loaded my airbrush and went for it...

P1020637_zps57agsouq.jpg

...and TBH the results were better than I could've hoped for...

P1020639_zpsrtvkgafq.jpg

P1020640_zpss70zsrix.jpg

Not brilliant but once they have been sealed and had a little weathering I think they should look ok. Here's how she looks at COP tonight..

P1020641_zpsikt8ybzi.jpg

P1020642_zps32nqqkbw.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments, criticisms are more than welcome.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 5

Good save with those roundels!

Martin

Ha Ha cheers mate unfortunately the decals on the tail weren't as fortunate!

Let me explain this morning I was having a right rare old time putting on the decals and decided to put the whole lot together and have a look at the plane in its complete glory, I placed it on my Tamiya rotating base and as I looked at her from all angles I noticed that the 25 Sqn decals on the tail sides were at different heights (about 5mm difference between them), I tried to convince myself that I could live with it but my OCD kicked in and I take to get some tape and take them off, now this left me with a problem which plane to build?

So I chose XH903 as she is now displayed at Staverton for 2 reasons:

When I detached to RAF Innsworth in 1993 as a young SAC and I remember seeing her in a dismantled state on site before she was moved and secondly I gained my Pilots licence at Staverton in '96 so it kinda seemed appropriate, plus the 33 Sqn markings are rather good.

All the best

Iain

• Like 2

Hi Iain,

Good progress, despite the decals. I had a similar problem with the Airfix decals on the Mk.Vb Spitfire. They just seemed totally resistant to settling over the bumps with annoying results! You seemed to have sorted out the problem well.

This is looking better and better and almost complete!

Hope you have a good evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Iain,

Good progress, despite the decals. I had a similar problem with the Airfix decals on the Mk.Vb Spitfire. They just seemed totally resistant to settling over the bumps with annoying results! You seemed to have sorted out the problem well.

This is looking better and better and almost complete!

Hope you have a good evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey Stix

Cheers mate, yeah the decals on the top of the wing were a right royal pain, but these things are sent to try us! I think it will be finished sometime during the week as the decals are taking for ever (there must be at least a million of them) :rolleyes:

Cheers mate I'm gonna check out your build in a bit!

Iain

Looking good Iain. Forgot what a lovely aircraft the Javelin is, we sure had some nice looking aircraft in that era! :thumbsup:

Hey Jackster

Cheers mate. Yeah we sure did have some cracking looking airplanes and it's my intention to try and

Make as many as I can!

Iain

Hi everyone

Well maybe the word update in the title is a slight exaggeration, I've hardly spent any time in my workshop this week due to work commitments but anyway this is where I am as of 20:16 tonight...

P1020649_zpsibhgarwq.jpg

P1020650_zpsudyzaekv.jpg

P1020651_zpspuegx80x.jpg

P1020652_zpsfa7fxttq.jpg

P1020648_zps8vpodm1x.jpg

...I probably have 85% of the decaling complete the undercarriage is done as is the canopy. Getting there slowly but its taking forever!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 11

Hi everyone

Finally the decals are on this beast....

P1020659_zpszbojdily.jpg

P1020657_zpstjhhuyxw.jpg

P1020655_zpsv30aoef5.jpg

P1020654_zpst2zvlivn.jpg

P1020661_zpsihf2bktp.jpg

P1020660_zpstdgy5hcf.jpg

P1020661_zpsihf2bktp.jpg

P1020662_zpscp2z8w65.jpg

P1020663_zpshkwipgxk.jpg

P1020664_zpsrlbxgm6h.jpg

...The decals that came with the kit were great and took well to the Micro set / sol system. I've given it a gloss coat to seal everything in and tomorrow I'll start some weathering.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 12