AFV Matador in 1/35th

simmerit

Well, just in case anyone what so ever is interested, Howard (KFS) and I have a little debate raging about this gun and the tilt of the balance springs. I think we were settled until I found this

a20110604_016_zps7d8887b1.jpg

Its in the RA museum in Northumberland.

Howard very kindly sent me these

one_zpsccf7210d.jpg

five_zpsf3630f1b.jpg

four_zps7c452d3a.jpg

three_zps0f3a1b9c.jpg

These are extracts from the actual manual. The top one shoes the Balance Springs at a tilt when the gun is stowed. I've reached out to the Shopland Collection who have a real 5.5" and are currently restoring a 4.5" to ask the question, and I am hoping to get to the Rotal Artillery Museum in Woolwich tomorrow afternoon for a little peep at one - they have a 5.5" gun in there. I've only got an hour but I feel I may not get out once I cross the door!!

if you are interested, these three shots illustrate the problem with the InAccurate Armour 4.5" & 5.5" gun

FullSizeRender135_zps44e71e58.jpg

When the gun is fully depressed for towing, the red like shows where the stirrup should line up with the Balance Spring, which is doesnt on the kit - that means if you depress the gun for stowage, the springs lean back at a ridiculous angle.

FullSizeRender136_zpsfe3c606d.jpg

so the issue is that the mounts for the balance spring are pushed too far forward on the cradle which is the bit the gun sits in that mounts it on the carriage

FullSizeRender137_zpsdf92156f.jpg

the problem with this gun is the geometry is all wrong on the cradle. Its taken me 2 weeks to establish that, unfortunately after the gun was built. Currently disassembling it, dipping it in Detol to strip the paint off it. InAccurate Armour have quoted me a fiver for a new cradle which I will have a crack at re-modelling. I was hoping to get the the Royal Artillery museum on Woolwich yesterday with a tape measure, but I ran out of time. They have a 5.5" gun in the main hall.

So its back to the little lads and I need to finish the Mat which still has a few things to do on it before its weathered

There is a bit of debate in Mat circles (apparently) on the colour of the inside of the cab. the view is they hit the field primed grey straight out of the factory. Anyway. I asked a lad with three of them (1:1 scale ones) and he's got 3 x 5.5" guns and an understanding mrs!

Anyway the response

Well this is a bit of a debate I have had with a friend of mine in the past, and I think will always be a bit of a grey area (no pun intended!!) unless it is possible to find someone who painted the vehicles either in the factories or at the base workshops in which ever theatre they were destined for.
My mates thinking is that the vehicles would have all been painted the standard green (or whatever colour was the norm at that point in time) and then when they arrived at where they were going the 'local' colour/camouflage would have been applied. This could well be the case as there is a series of films floating about showing vehicles being painted in desert workshops, but this could well be as vehicles arrived from a different theatre and not from a factory.
I do know that the RAF post war painted their cab inners in a strange green shade (I had one), but I also had an original condition 1950's Army Mat and this had a drab green cab interior to match the outside. So maybe that is where his idea is coming from??
Sorry I can't be of much more help than this.
Regards
Mel

The AFV model has an error on it as well..................... only minor though:-)

Also on the model Matador body, you have two rows of canvas tie down hooks, however the lower row would not have been fitted on a Matador with a tin top (which the Mat in the picture you have copied from would have been). The canvas top type that used the lower row of hooks for securing the roof canvas did not come in until around 1943/44. I hope you don't mind me mentioning that to you.

The AFV Mat is an early model. The cleats are on the mid production one I'd guess, which this one is not!

back to the gun.

FullSizeRender138_zpsa6d83085.jpg

primed these fellas today, and reached for my trusty mate

FullSizeRender139_zps27ee0d60.jpg

which is ace for paint stripping

FullSizeRender140_zps72364e64.jpg

stripped and waiting for the new Cradle from InAccurate Armour

FullSizeRender141_zps1b72a2c2.jpg

residue from the gun. Its ace stuff if you want to restore or redo anything

FullSizeRender143_zpsb2d872f3.jpg

half an hour steep then

FullSizeRender145_zpsae3245ac.jpg

re steep it.

FullSizeRender146_zpsffc6fdf1.jpg

primed and waiting. Having stressed about the gun, I'm toying with trying to re-engineer the balancing springs to make em work.......

• Like 1

i'm liking your build I like your treatment of the figure with the added gratecoats. I take it it's acrylic your removing with the Detol?

Colin

Thanks fella. I'm copying the figures from the 1943 photograph. The coats are turning out OK so far.

Yep its acrylic and Halfords primer. I've not stripped enamel paint with it but I suspect it will work OK - give it a shot.

Cheers

If anyone is going to do the early Mat dont put the lower cleats on as its a tin roof

v_098_7_zpsdfc351ae.jpg

I have attached a picture showing what I mean about the lower set of cleats being used for the roof sheet (excuse my black pointer lines but they should hopefully help). The side curtains are fastened on the same was as on a tin top Mat, and the curve of the body has about a foot of rolled steel, which stops the canvas sagging. The canvas top is then put on and covers the top of the side curtains and then the tie down ropes for the roof pass through large eyelets in the top of the side curtains and drop down the back of them and come out at the bottom to be tied onto the cleats. This way they were still able to roll up the side curtains without having to undo all the roof ropes first.[/size]

Cheers[/size]

Mel[/size]

Thanks fella - I'm reasonably pleased with them and am getting better at the sculpting thing now. The challenge is buying enough of the buggers to get the right poses without having to fundamentally butcher them and start from scratch. I must say thought once you get the hang of it, I can see scratch figure building being quite rewarding in saying that.

I've had a crack at the Balancing Springs (again....................) and think I'm just going to say sod it and bite the bullet as it is. I have got a new cradle turning up next week which I was going to have a crack at also to try and get the geometry right, but to be honest, there is that much needs adding to/correcting on this gun I'm in the 'what's the point' space on it. It will do 'as it' as a reasonable representation.

Here it is now assembled, but not stuck together

FullSizeRender150_zps53fa9f33.jpg

FullSizeRender151_zps09d59acb.jpg

I've just invested in a mid -production mat as well. AFV club have just released it. I think I'm turning into a closet loggie!

Edited by simmerit

Looking at the ballance spring problem, it looks like the bottom brackets are too long pushing the bottom of the springs out too far. It's not going to be a total cure but I htuink they would look better.

Colin

Looking at the ballance spring problem, it looks like the bottom brackets are too long pushing the bottom of the springs out too far. It's not going to be a total cure but I htuink they would look better.

Colin

I've been all over this like a rash mate - the bottom brackets are too far out. That is absolutely the problem with the angle of the springs. The cradle is the major problem. There is about a much resemblance between the one on the model and a real one as there is between the real one and a banana. The blokes that did the original design for the model must have based it on another gun or something. Its wrong on every level mate. That's why i've concluded no point in makign the changes and I'll live with it.

Just on with the fella with the bent knee now which I think is probably the last one I'll be doing. I've not used the InAccurate Armour Mat driver and Rupert as the molds are pretty poor, which is a tad irritating as they came in at about 15 sheets

FullSizeRender153_zps5666ea96.jpg

legs from two different lads selected and the shorts clipped off

FullSizeRender156_zpsc68fdd3a.jpg

FullSizeRender157_zps50374c2e.jpg

must finish LT 42 AA at some point. Found it when looking for the rest fo the Hornet Heads I've got lying about the place

FullSizeRender158_zpse9765104.jpg

knee amputation as the bend isn't at the right angle

FullSizeRender159_zps3bb59302.jpg

FullSizeRender160_zps0a6169e3.jpg

and its like an ISIS convention on my table at the minute.... I must get these lads painted up sharpish so I can pick the ones I'm running with

FullSizeRender161_zpsb1af5596.jpg

I have had a bit of an issue with some of the heads as they are a bit on the small side. anyway. There are enough to crack on with

• Like 2

Well, some people have small heads while others are fat, narrow, skinny, etc. xD

You'll be telling me there are gings next!!

Quick heads up

IMG_5488_zpsb9733425.jpg

Gone into mass production.

I'm not really sure how much to do beyond this. Its Libya in 1943 to these blokes will have been tanned and pretty rugged as they were on the road, so covered in dust.

• Like 3

I always find painting little fellas is a hugely personal thing by way of technique. I've had a look at a few people's work, and i've come to the conclusion its about finding a technique that works for you and gives the right end result. I'd say mine aren't the best, but they arent the worst either. You can form your own view.

How I go on is get a base coat on first. I use Vallejo as there are about 85 different skin colours and I quite like the choice as you can get some consistency in your painting. That said, we are all different - as pointed out some people have bigger heads than others and skin tone varies. Look at spotty young lads for example. Not painted any with a healthy rash of spots before, but there is always time yet!! Blackheads after washing cam cream off may be a bit of a challenge I suppose.....

FullSizeRender162_zps006afafd.jpg

then I got for a brush on of basic skin tone

FullSizeRender163_zps9d1bf2b9.jpg

I've stuck sunny skin tone on top of that

FullSizeRender164_zpscf5363e4.jpg

I'll pick out bits with highlights next then give em a wash of burnt sienna.

Right here's the line up. 10 to pick

FullSizeRender165_zps969de81a.jpg

I think its 6 of em want flat heads for tin hats. 5 more to do - 4 with tin hats on already, but two of them are doo-doo - they were from the placcy kits I bought for the bodies. Reasonably pleased with them, but heads are a complete lottery IMHO

• Like 3

Decided to crack on with one of the lads. I'll know how well he's turned out tomoz in the natural light

FullSizeRender167_zps754fd142.jpg

FullSizeRender166_zps72ff72d9.jpg

A look in situ

FullSizeRender168_zpsde9080ea.jpg

FullSizeRender169_zpsc9aa5bb4.jpg

and done a bit on those bloody awful caps they used to wear.

FullSizeRender170_zps23cb7998.jpg

Not sure if the blonde lad has worked yet. Will find out in.................. the natural light. He really needs to be white blonde in the desert, so it may be a bit too yellow.

Not enjoyed painting the Greatcoat and pants. Shading is so hard with the British uniform in the 40s - not really much you can do with it in my view unless you slap a load of colour in it which wouldn't be right, which is what I've seen having looked at some figures. No matter which way you look at it, its brown! It looks OK - its just not a great shot in electric light in my kitchen, and a healthy splattering of dust will probably make a huge difference

• Like 3

FullSizeRender171_zpsb42c530c.jpg

A bit of MIG Gulf War sand for good measure appears to have made a difference. He needs some buttons on though...and his laces painting, and his puttees finishing.... and his stripes,,, and and and. I couldnt help it having a crack with the MIG!!

• Like 1

done a bit more shading on this but mixed views on it when you see it blown up close in a piccie! Its not bad. Not bril. Hopefully not sh*te, but maybe adequate.

FullSizeRender172_zps0ac74518.jpg

Ordered these

ar350687_zpsfad4960f.jpg

CIMG4062_zps066a4a6e.jpg

These (nicked from Dan's blog - thanks matey)

FullSizeRender%20173_zps9swkpcxl.jpg

and made a start on this one

• Like 2