AFV Matador in 1/35th

simmerit

I was just thinking I'll have a crack and the mid production Mat having been suitably inspired by Dan's disruptive pattern this morning, so I reaches for the Vallejo Airbrush Black.

Halford's primer is an ace base coat. Vallejo takes to it a treat. Vallejo airbrush paint on Lifecolour acrylics is an absolute no no. Just dont do it. EVER

FullSizeRender%20325_zpsjvhc13d1.jpg

So I spray the grey primed roof and its ace. Then I start on the sides

FullSizeRender%20324_zpslld2nm4b.jpg

I realise I have a problem within about 20 seconds when the Lifecolour paint starts to lift, so what do I do?

FullSizeRender%20323_zpstynxlk1w.jpg

like every good infantry soldier with no brains, I crack on knowing full well I am in the middle of a disaster. Don't worry i say, its squaddie proof - it will be fine, knowing full well it wont be fine at all cause the Lifecolour green paint is lifting. So what do I do? Yup. I paint the tailgate. Then I decide to paint the cab roof.

Looking at the disaster I think 'not problem. Let me get a paint brush. Its a real 'Frankie St****t moment'. A bloke who was so stupid the only reason he could perform basic body functions was because he had a nervous system. Possibly the oldest private soldier in the entire world. They eventually gave him one stripe out of sympathy. Heart of gold. Thick as two short planks. I am that man tonight.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NNNNNNNNNNNNNNooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Like 2

Had a closer look in the daylight and I think I may be able to salvage it

FullSizeRender%20326_zpsze4wliz5.jpg

This I think will have to be detol'd. Not a lot of choice - the wet n dry paper isn't sorting it

FullSizeRender%20327_zpsy7iofjex.jpg

This is the worse bit (after the roof). I will see if I can just give the whole thing a gentle rub down with wet n dry tomoz

FullSizeRender%20328_zpsynwcxqa3.jpg

I may put the other roof on..

• Like 3

I don't know if this will add any value?

This a picture of a picture of my time in North africa in 1999. It's not that far from Al Alamain, or the big depression.

fc60105224f7682050982d890c0be88b_zps05d1

a20c7bd1ed6407da412d10c867eb8266_zps497c

In some areas the sand was very soft like the beach, other areas were a little harder. I had always wondered why German aircraft cammo was like it was, in lots of location there were small tumble weed like bushes all over the place.

Ozzy

Edited by Ozzy

I don't know if this will add any value?

This a picture of a picture of my time in North africa in 1999. It's not that far from Al Alamain, or the big depression.

fc60105224f7682050982d890c0be88b_zps05d1

a20c7bd1ed6407da412d10c867eb8266_zps497c

In some areas the sand was very soft like the beach, other areas were a little harder. I had always wondered why German aircraft cammo was like it was, in lots of location there were small tumble weed like bushes all over the place.

Ozzy

That looks like its full if stones at the bottom?

Yeah flat brown stones, there was a lot of fossilised wood nocking about to, this was only in a few areas, most of it was just sand.

Ozzy

Edited by Ozzy

Yeah flat brown stones, there was a lot of fossilised wood nocking about to, this was only in a few areas, most of it was just sand.

Ozzy

can you just cast your mind back re the size of the stones - little things or big things?

well it looks like I've been able to salvage it without stripping it. The power of emery paper............................................

FullSizeRender%20329_zpslvrzsmyr.jpg

FullSizeRender%20330_zpsd0gyibxm.jpg

Thought I may as well do both of em. primed and canvas sides done.

FullSizeRender%20331_zpsfagd2qwo.jpg

FullSizeRender%20332_zpsp9xnyhht.jpg

FullSizeRender%20333_zpsdmsifgxw.jpg

FullSizeRender%20334_zpsehxvsoh6.jpg

• Like 1

can you just cast your mind back re the size of the stones - little things or big things?

They varied from about hand size to Palm size, the sand they lay on was quite firm, from what I can remember.

Ozzy

• 1 month later...

Well I finally managed to get some time on the Mat only to be defeated by the rain - its persisting down at the minute.

FullSizeRender%20336_zpsfpdt8hox.jpg

This was as far as I got with the base.

FullSizeRender%20337_zpslqfokyog.jpg

I picked up some silver sand which will do the job. I have a load of very small stones I think I will cover it with once I've PVA'd it. I also need to pick up a comb to get the effect of the channels in it from the rain before I stick it down, so thank god its raining I suppose....

this is where I'm trying to get to with it

FullSizeRender%20338_zps3jywiexy.jpg

FullSizeRender%20339_zpsj4rr9vp9.jpg

Other thing is I've been a bit quiet with the Headley Court stuff. If you have not done so, come on lads, dig out a 1/35th kit and pm me to get it in the post to the lads @ Headley.

edited to add 'pm me and I'll give you the details + Dan will bump the thread, or you can search on Headley Court'. Have a read then get that stash raided. Its is for an excellent and very worthy cause.

Not that I'm begging or anything like

Edited by simmerit

Right. So this is not how to do it

IMG_6629_zpsvrsulic7.jpg

IMG_6628_zpsaebh58fa.jpg

What happens when you spray PVA on the sand is it clumps together, cause that's what sand does.......

So the way to do it is

IMG_6626_zpshh8ka4vr.jpg

paint unwatered down PVA onto the base and get sand on it. When you tip the sand off, you are left with the above. The spray a heavy film of 50/50 diluted PVA on and sieve the sand on to get an even covering, and you dont get the grains clumping together

IMG_6637_zps3lnega34.jpg

That's what I ended up with, and when dry, the few clumps there had hardened could be brushed off.

So how it now looks is like this

IMG_6640_zps0njp2raw.jpg

So next is this lot

IMG_6649_zpsl4ystykw.jpg

Not sure if 50/50 PVA will secure them....

• Like 2

Well after another big lapse because of the worky thing, I managed to get ten minutes in on the base this morning

IMG_6745_zpssgv0df4r.jpg

IMG_6746_zpsjkgwzh1c.jpg

IMG_6747_zpslfhyuzdr.jpg

quick spattering of sand over the top of the rocks appears to have done the business

IMG_6749_zpsprpsobna.jpg

IMG_6751_zpsghm9akt5.jpg

IMG_6753_zpsekk9n8ke.jpg

will it ever end...... one day.....

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 7

Congratulations on some brilliant modelling

Just a thought.

Looking at the original photograph and based on experience of being bogged into similar areas, the truck looks as if it may have been passing over an area with shallow flood water standing in the ruts. Possibly the lumpy bits were wet sand rather than rocks - hence the need for the rather elaborate duckboards

So maybe a watertight base/edges to the diorama and half a pint of water added?

Nah forget it, as I said, brilliant work

Congratulations on some brilliant modelling

Just a thought.

Looking at the original photograph and based on experience of being bogged into similar areas, the truck looks as if it may have been passing over an area with shallow flood water standing in the ruts. Possibly the lumpy bits were wet sand rather than rocks - hence the need for the rather elaborate duckboards

So maybe a watertight base/edges to the diorama and half a pint of water added?

Nah forget it, as I said, brilliant work

Hello mate.

Yup you are quite right - the photo was taken in winter and there was a lot of flooding that year. I've got another much smaller board/square which when the main board is finished, I'm intending to try a very thin layer of liquid epoxy resin on to see if I can recreate the effect.

I'm a weekend away from that however as I've still not got the final layer of sand glued down as I'c currently plaster boarding a bathroom................ and its plumbing tomoz...................... the joys

• 2 weeks later...

Well the water clear casting resin came today (finally)..... I've been waiting 2 weeks for it to turn up.

IMG_6865_zpsw6uxdere.jpg

I've done up to the duck boards - quiet pleased with the effect I can finally get the thing edged tomorrow and crack on with the gun. Weathering and wear and tear next. problem is of course all the photos I've seen in the desert are black and white. I've seen some guns that look like the modeller has taken a random bit of emery cloth to every surface and edge so the kit looks like its done 40 years in a sand blasting tunnel. Some wear and tear I think, but not sure how much. I'm guessing the paint on the barrel would fade with heat as well as these things did fire a fair old few rounds off and that's got to have had an effect.

The truck looks like its mostly stone chipping on the under side and some of the side edges. Oh. and I've got a sweeping bristle brush to make!

• Like 1

Thanks Dan mate. The complement is most appreciated fella.

I took a few shots today. Not picked up the boarder for the base as expected, but I've done a deal with the mrs, which is basically as she is starting to play topless netball loads again, my models are staying out and she's not tidying them up all the time. I may actually make some progress... and get on something else. Dunno what that will be though as you keep building the ones I'm intending to do next!

anyway. Here it is at the minute

shot%207_zpski1vqtvu.jpg

shot%206_zpsnweioax0.jpg

shot%205_zpslzgchbig.jpg

shot%204_zpskyfdlydc.jpg

shot%202_zps8zfm4pwe.jpg

shot%203_zpsa5lfyesk.jpg

gun next I reckon.

• Like 4

Thanks TomCZ mate.

A quick look at some guns is required

shot%209_zpsa96dvkey.jpg

this is a BL 5.5" Mk3, which is the one that came in service with the 4.5". I need to get some pigments applied to tone the gun from wear and tear & action.

shot%2011_zpsnobdut9f.jpeg

shot%2019_zpsesbzgz3b.jpg

looking at the B&W snaps, I'm guessing a combination of shadows and dust from the road, as well as heat damage to paint work from expending shells is where it needs to get to

shot%2014_zps1jrpsrmt.jpg

shot%2022_zpslhrrf4zt.jpeg

Have to have a look at some mig pigments I guess

• 2 weeks later...

Board finally sorted!!

IMG_6990_zpsncj0jjbv.jpg

and Mig Pigments on the gun. Wey Hey!!

IMG_7027_zpsqctrihc5.jpg

IMG_7024_zpsrdf3rp68.jpg

IMG_7026_zpskgteyder.jpg

and probable next project identified!!

IMG_6987_zpstpsijpiz.jpg

Captured-German-CS8s_zpsnrwha0ka.jpg

There were a lot of these captured from the BEF. Not sure of the origins of this one though

IMG_7009_zpsoaz8lzog.jpg

first bit came today!

IMG_7010_zpsgioxqaj5.jpg

looks like a DJ Parkins special.

Back on the wagon tomorrow, and I dont mean the drink! I' making a start of the final run on the truck. Its been a long haul this one

• Like 2

Pardon my ignorance, what is it ? Morris ?

Its a Morris C8 15cwt. So yep Its British. Some interesting speculation on where it came from. Shipped in from Egypt - note the VRN Arabic plates. Fallschirmjager traveled light!