Revell 1/32 Tornado GR4

Hi guys, OK I know the Tornado has been done to death, but it is what I have been looking forward to the most and it is my favourite aircraft above all others (or maybe tied with the EE Lightning, no I think the Tornado is my favourite even over the Lightning!), I'm not doing a full walk through but alongside I am going to be doing an Italeri F3 Tornado aswell!!, did I say I like Tornado's?

I am going to model the Tornado GR4
Hopefully with @Parkes682Decals help, this version.

C1434980_5056_A318_A8849274C09979D0.jpg

Backup scheme is, which I have been able to source the decals (Xtradecal)

12421229173_c043051547_z.jpg

This is going to have all the bells and whistles and like my Typhoon will probably take ages, what's even worse, afterwards I am going to do an F3 version (I was going to do the F3 1st but decided to do it this way around and do the GR4 1st), so if you are sick of Tornado's turn away now!!

For this build I will use the following:

1/32 Revell Tornado GR1
Flightpath detail and conversion set
Flightpath slats and flaps
Avionics bays supplied by Steve
Tirydium models Tornado lighting kit
1/32 Pilot figures supplied by Steve

Edited by pittnuma
  • Like 7

Mine was doing the same, but I thought, what the heck, why not do 1 of the kit's your itching to do! The only thing that is stopping me at present is this wind, blown over my garden furniture, tiles are coming off, gate has been ripped off and I am starting to think I should seriously go move the car.

Edited by pittnuma

Wow, the wind here is really quite bad!

So starting with something simple I am assembling the loadout as I always forget these and tend to rush them I thought I would do them 1st.

From most of the pics the general loadout seems to be 2 x 1500ltr tanks, 1 BOZ pod, 1 Sky Shadow and depending where it was flying 2 x AIM-9L (have not decided if these will be equipped).

IMG_20150109_224742_zpsdc37wwy4.jpg

Aye Tom, messy separation from my wife took my mojo away, but I'm back into it now :banghead:

Understandable. But good that you're back into it. Modelling has helped me through my seperation, although mine is amicable.

Looking forward to seeing this progress. Mine has been slow, but I've really been taking my time with the priming, sandind and re-scribing. Seems never ending.

Cheers,

Tom.

Whilst I was waiting for the parts to try I started on the flightpath ejector seats, I am not convinced... I might have to go Aires.

I am going Aires

So with that decision made I got cracking with the cockpit area under a scrutineer as ever.
IMG_20150110_143908_zpsgrliydtc.jpg

The front is straight forward, remove all the plastic off the kit part and replace, however the rear is where the kit instructions leave you rocking in a corner.

The 2 outer MFD's are OK after a little study, but the centre MFD I cannot figure the bends. I cannot even figure the 1st bend.

IMG_20150110_234526_zpsyfff8shy.jpg

Dont forget there were two aircraft with this scheme, each with fairly distinctive panel colour differences. The one Im building (in 1:72) also only had a missile rail fitted to the port inner pylon - at least for the Derwnt flypast. Worth checking references: IIRC one of the pair was a dual control trainer...ETA the one in your o/p photo I think.

Edited by dr_gn

OK, figured it, I am left with 1 bend I cannot figure out how to do yet as I should maybe have done that before (no way to grip it), but I will sort that somehow. The reason I was thrown is the instructions looks like it shows a piece behind the screen and I could not figure how that got there, but I think it comes from a cover, so think this is correct, can anybody confirm (ignore the piece sticking out the back, that is the last bend I still have to make.

IMG_20150111_000758_zpsnlf0jssn.jpg

Dont forget there were two aircraft with this scheme, each with fairly distinctive panel colour differences. The one Im building (in 1:72) also only had a missile rail fitted to the port inner pylon - at least for the Derwnt flypast. Worth checking references: IIRC one of the pair was a dual control trainer...ETA the one in your o/p photo I think.

Ah, did not know that, I don't wish to do the dual control version. Good spot thanks, yes I am doing the RIAT version which had the 2 AIM's but I will check closer the time, thanks for the info. Yep, I saw the panel differences and was planning on doing that.

Edited by pittnuma

ZA412 was the dual control trainer. Other things I found were no gun port on the port side on a GR4, and, the central display in the front cockpit is square, not round (the72nd Aires cockpit is round for a GR1). Not sure if its the same for the 1:32 version. Ta.

Nice information thanks, the flightpath kit has the relevant square mfd, I am doing ZA492 and yip, noticed the gun, so think I have those covered but thanks for letting me know.

I have been on the lookout for a way to display the larger models, I may have come up with a cheap alternative. Needs work but the concept is there.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974498-build-your-own-large-display-case-on-the-cheap/#entry1857299

Struggling with soldering again.

tried 80 deg solder but that kept breaking as soon as any strain was put on the joint, trying 145 degree now, bit better by what it looks like. Biggest problem I seem to hav is only using a small amount, I keep using too much.

I've not got it right yet.

IMG_20150119_230723_zpsdncew86l.jpg

Put some more bits on the BOZ pod, the back of the POD is going to have a cover on it I think, hence I did not bother with the innards..

IMG_20150117_211743_zpsxjsckvcr.jpg

Edited by pittnuma

Slow progress, just adding some wiring. Trying to find a heat shrink sleeve.

IMG_20150120_220640_zps9iefar0m.jpg

Very slowly getting my head around the finer soldering aswell, just ordered a finer flat chisel blade for the soldering iron aswell to see if that helps.

IMG_20150120_231951_zpsh9hpiemw.jpg

• Like 1

Stuck trying to figure how to bend part 32 (34), looks like I have to cut it? Any ideas those of you who have done the Flightpath additions? Emailed David aswell, this bit has got me a bit stumped, I worked the others out, but this piece.......

IMG_20150121_230816_zpsbvdon2zd.jpg

Whilst I try to figure it out I thought I would add some wiring to the cockpit. I copied an idea I saw on another build (Brokenedge), liked what he'd done with the covers, hope he does not mind. Not finished putting the wiring in place yet but you get the idea.

IMG_20150121_225359_zps1crohoq5.jpg

Edited by pittnuma
  • Like 1

Pittnuma,

Just stumbled on your posts regarding the Revell 1/32 Tornado. I am part way through my build at present and I am using the Flight path set. Part 32 is an intricate fold. I used a pair a pair of tweezers an a straight edged scalpel (not having a folding tool at the time). I may be stating the obvious, have you looked on the reverse, from memory the fold lines are usually indicated. Hey, there have been times when I have taken to contacting Flight path direct for instructions.

I am doing my Tornado as a GR4, ZA614, EB-Z in 41 Squadron colours. The tail end is complete and the front end is ready to glue together, but I'm having a break from it atpresent in order to concentrate on the Airfix 1/48 Javelin.

This may not help but I will follow this build with great interest.

Regards

Andy