II(AC) Sqn Stand Down, Stand Up along with 12(B) Sqn

zipper

II(AC) Sqn stood down today from the mighty Tornado and then stood up again with the Typhoon which will be based at RAF Lossiemouth. The replacement for II(AC) Sqn Tornado is 12 (B)Sqn so the Foxes are back in town.

Edited by zipper

So are 12 Sqn back up still with the Tornado? I'm confused! I take it 12 will be standing down again in a year or so and this just a stop gap?

As I think we've discussed elsewhere, leaving II(AC) with the GR4 would've required it to disband - the Typhoon unit would have been given a different numberplate, most probably 12. It appears that the desire to keep II(AC) running on (I daresay that there are also lots of files talking about II(AC) forming as a Typhoon unit which would've led to possible confusion in due course) meant that the obvious thing to do was to reform 12 and hand the GR4s from II(AC) over to the newly-reformed squadron.

As to what happens next, 12 is high on the list of seniority, which means that if we end up with a buy sufficient to form 3 or 4 F-35 squadrons (in addition to the 5 Typhoon squadrons), it is likely to be reformed as the third F-35/Lighting FG1 squadron in the 2020s - at least under current plans.

• Like 1

Is it the first squadron not to use a shield or ZK344 is a special scheme?

I am always happy when new squadron stands up, new markings!

Edited by Paolo6691

Strange that article states that II(AC) Sqn was formed at Farnborough but other sources claim it was formed at Montrose? IIRC several aircraft were flown from Farnborough to Montrose for the Squadron to form up on, can anyone clarify please?

Duncan B

It was formed on 13 May 1912 as No.2 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps, operating heavier-than-air flying machines. No.1 Squadron, with lighter-than-air machines, was formed on the same day from 1 Company, Air Battalion Royal Engineers, while No.3 Squadron was confusingly formed from 2 Company, with heavier-than-air machines. All were based at Farnborough, but No.2 Squadron moved to Montrose on 26 February 1913.