RAF MIldenhall to close?

c.smith10

Has been rumours about Marshall's of Cambridge wanting it, that would be pretty good I guess but not the same. It's also good that the RC's are staying in the UK, I'm hoping Fairford so they're nearer to me but I can't see that happening, Waddo seems the best bet I reckon.

Cambridge has been trying to get shot of marshalls for some time now as they want the land to build housing. The only problem I can see with marshalls though is the fact they aren't doing all that well themselves at the moment

That's it then. Nothing more to see. The odd Apache. Not worth going to Da'Heath to maybe watch White Elephants fly. The Tornado will be out of service by then, that means my nearest base is Coningsby.

At least it will save me £3000 on a telephoto lens now.

No need for new build housing at Mildenhall, and the MoD won't take up the field just as they didn't want Bentwaters. The US base was streets ahead of RAF ones in terms of equipment and housing, and they didn't want rivalry with who had the better accommodation; that's why we didn't get the JHF over Wittering.

Wasn't sure where to post this but this seems as good a place as any given the history.

Libby and I have soooooo many happy memories from Air Fete over the years, not to mention the historic significance of the USAF presence here.

Yet another VERY sad day, tho apparently there is to be expansion at Lakenheath.

TonyS

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 1

Honestly expected to see Spangdahlem close first,a big base for a single Sqn of F-16's....

So we lose Mildenhall and Lakenheath may get F-35's by 2020....that's a double kick in the plums :( .

Spangdahlem received a big chunk of rampspace to accomodate transport aircraft when Rhein Main closed and gets a lot more transient C-17s and C-5's than Mildenhall does. Besides, they need it as an alternate for when Ramstein gets fogged in.

• Like 1

Spent many a day watching the a/c here and at Lakenheath, loved it and I cannot believe it but nothing this day and age surprises me.I can understand Molesworth and Alconbury but there you go. Glad i took up modelling and stopped a/c spotting, to see anything now you have to travel vast distance and then there is no gaurantee you will see ought. Bugger and double bugger.

• Like 1

Maybe the Army will move in when they move out of Germany. They did that with Wattisham and some other ex airfields I know some will go to the Salisbury area but who knows what the MOD will do otherwise.

Very sad, when you consider the riches of airfields that areas had since WW2 (when there was an 8th Air Force base literally every 5 miles down the road). I often go on google earth and look over the whole of East Anglia trying to find old bases. So by the time we reach 2020 the only thing there'll be to watch are these flaming JSF/F-35 thingy what ever you wanna call ems, that's assuming they actually get into service. The choice will be whether to watch grey RAF ones and Marham or grey USAF ones at Lakenheath!!

Very sad, when you consider the riches of airfields that areas had since WW2 (when there was an 8th Air Force base literally every 5 miles down the road). I often go on google earth and look over the whole of East Anglia trying to find old bases. So by the time we reach 2020 the only thing there'll be to watch are these flaming JSF/F-35 thingy what ever you wanna call ems, that's assuming they actually get into service. The choice will be whether to watch grey RAF ones and Marham or grey USAF ones at Lakenheath!!

Pretty boring is'nt it! Like someone else has mentioned, I gave up on the spotting game and concentrated more on the modelling too because evrything was going grey and too samey. Despite the closure of the 'hall is sad, I feel comfortable in my memories of when I used to go there from the mid 70's to early 90's when types were very varied and colourful. AMong the many and varied visitors I recall these EC-121, C-131, T-39, C-1A, C-141, C-5, C-130, KC-97, E-4A the C-135 variants, C-140, the Army Beech types, Mohawks, Broncos, SR-71, U-2, civvy DC-8 of Southern Air and World Airways and A treat once was when a round 5 EB-57E were at Bentwaters and one was circuit bashing at Mildenhall on a Sunday!!!

Not forgetting those wonderful Airshows of course.

Has been rumours about Marshall's of Cambridge wanting it, that would be pretty good I guess but not the same. It's also good that the RC's are staying in the UK, I'm hoping Fairford so they're nearer to me but I can't see that happening, Waddo seems the best bet I reckon.

Cambridge has been trying to get shot of marshalls for some time now as they want the land to build housing. The only problem I can see with marshalls though is the fact they aren't doing all that well themselves at the moment

Was on our local news that Marshalls had been forced to issue a press release today saying they are not considering a move to Mildenhall.

Well the closure isn't gonna happen over night,both Anglia news & Look East mentioned 2019 for the closure.

I gave up on the aircraft spotting years ago,but i have great memories from both the airshow's and day to day flight op's.

For me Mildenhall will always have a special place in my heart for one thing....

IMG_04811_zpscd8d3222.jpg

• Like 3

This was all flagged up last year on our "In our region" Tv news. The US has got real problems with debt and 500 million pounds to run Mildenhall is obviously too much for them. The poor people that worked there (Brit civvies) from school.I saw a few tonight that had worked ther for 20 plus years,its sad. 250 million pounds will leave the local economy. How do you get thet back? They were interviewing bakers,teashops etc.You know what the TV local is like..........gloom and gloomier and an animal story to finish off. Colonel Biggs of Mildenhall said they'd been there since the 30's with a bomber Sqn.Well briefed then as it was 1950,never mind. We're really important though!

I haven't got over Upper Heyford closing.....Spent every swing shift there in the NCO club getting smashed on Schlitz!

Edited by bzn20

That unique atmosphere of burnt kerosene and burgers cooking over a 45 gallon drum bar-b-q served by the various wives clubs, and cans of 'beer' in ice filled oil drums.

The look on the faces of newly arrived USAF personnel when confronted with 'alien' aircraft types. Their disbelief at their first view of a Harrier, Lightning or a Vulcan showing 'how it's done'.

Something we will never see again, and I feel sorry for those who never had the chance.

• Like 3

That unique atmosphere of burnt kerosene and burgers cooking over a 45 gallon drum bar-b-q served by the various wives clubs, and cans of 'beer' in ice filled oil drums.

The look on the faces of newly arrived USAF personnel when confronted with 'alien' aircraft types. Their disbelief at their first view of a Harrier, Lightning or a Vulcan showing 'how it's done'.

Something we will never see again, and I feel sorry for those who never had the chance.

I hit the like it,I love it! Those are a few of my favourite things, Cue Julie! Barrels of ice cold Bud.Holy cow you bought some memories back!

First show for me July 1976. Bicentennial and one hell of a hot summer. By 10 am we had drunk 15 tons of beer. By 3pm the base was dry, there was nothing else to drink, there were 2 water stand pipes behind the hangars and that was it. Met a family with a camper van with a fridge. They gave us a big poly bag filled with ice - a big frozen chunk. My girlfriend lay half under the car in shade clutching that bag. The ambient temp. gauge in the car was against the stop at 145 degrees F. Never missed show after that.

• Like 1

Had a great day at Mildenhall back in the nineties Galaxy,Globemaster(debut) and the B52 take off,cans of Bud and those Burgers,seems a strange

time to close these bases with the threatened "new" cold war all over the news but when you can fight a war from a container in Nevada.........

So, Continue wittering on about a third Heathrow runway.

Or simply adapt an empty ex USAF base?

Don't want to go political here, But someone had to ask.

Would it be viable?

Too far away, with unsuitable (read no) transport links. If Manston was ruled out, Mildenhall hasn't a prayer.

• Like 1

As a Suffolk lad I feel sorry for the local community at Mildenhall. However there have been many other closures so I hope they get through. My best bet for the 'Hall would be a trading estate, as Bury St. Edmunds is getting pretty full and the A14 isn't too far away.

It makes sense as the threat axis has moved south east by several hundred miles and modern transports have the legs to reach Germany direct from CONUS. As for the German reaction I think they would be welcomed at Spangdahlen or in the former East Germany ahead of warplanes.

Time will tell.

It seems locally the consensus is that it'll be developed into a business park and housing estate.

I think Marshalls have rulled themselves out and i struggle to see it being turned into an airport.

I also read an interstiong point on another forum which is the power supply will currently be 110v rather that the 240v which is standard in our country. I should think the expense of converting that will put a few suiters off.