This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

172flogger

1/72 - MiG-21 Fishbed by Eduard

23 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

What is the problem of printing a separate sheet of paper with the correct operation? Nobody insures against such mistakes! I had Hasegawa Ki-61 in 1/72, there was also an error in the instructions. Hasegawa put into the model a separate instruction the size of two match boxes where only this operation was depicted separately. But she was portrayed correctly!

B.R.

Serge

Hi Serge,

I dont know if Eduard is aware at all of this mistake. Have no idea what they will do, if anything at all. It could be possible to add a small sheet or what ever  . . .

I feel that Eduard is cursed with the MiG-21 kits main gear, remember that on 48th scale kit the trapeze system to turn the wheel hubs into the bay was completely forgotten. As an adjustment it was latter added but only a childish drawing was made to illustrate the correction. Now this with the covers. . .

While some people could think that my post was an attack of the new kit, in fact I just wanted to draw attention to the mistake in the instruction sheet and help those who will be building the kit to get it right. 

This mistake on the instruction sheet is absolutely normal and anyone can make it. It was just strange that the 2 Eduard modellers did not notice it when building the very first kits.

Best regards

Gabor

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

It was just strange that the 2 Eduard modellers did not notice it when building the very first kits.

Let's say the Czechs are very disciplined and follow thoroughly instructions. Case closed 😊

Edited by Laurent

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

While some people could think that my post was an attack of the new kit, in fact I just wanted to draw attention to the mistake in the instruction sheet and help those who will be building the kit to get it right

Gabor, hi!

It's normally situation.  For Eduard, the reputation of high-quality products was fixed. But when "WOOOOOW" is expected, and in the end, the output is a modeller "ahhh"... what else can I say? There is a small mistake, there is a misprint, there is problem e.t.c...... in the end many small problems create the impression of a poor product.

B.w. I looked in the detail of the fairing of the alcohol tank. It is cast together with the hood cover. With this design details you can have any high-tech injection molding thermoplastic machine, any moulds ... you can never mould this detail with thin ebge! This is either a conscious simplification, or not the highest qualification of the designer.

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

Let's say the Czechs are very disciplined and follow thoroughly instructions. Case closed 😊

I agree about Czech's but

Russians on this subject have a modern folkler:

- Why you have made it?
- Mother has told!
- If mother tells you to shoot oneself, you will make it too?

Instructions - instructions, but Gábor won't allow to tell lies, even mistakes and typos occur in technical documentation of planes in spite of the fact that they were read by editors, proofreaders and them to sign special persons before the press. Yes, these mistakes found, corrected them, people who made these mistakes were deprived by awards and perhaps fired, but these mistakes were all the same made! These are people, people can be mistaken. Therefore it is desirable to compare instructions to reality and common sense.

B.R.

Serge

33 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

B.w. I looked in the detail of the fairing of the alcohol tank. It is cast together with the hood cover. With this design details you can have any high-tech injection molding thermoplastic machine, any moulds ... you can never mould this detail with thin ebge! This is either a conscious simplification, or not the highest qualification of the designer.

B.R.

Serge

Hi Serge,

Remember this is a 72nd scale kit. The set already has some small parts, I dont think they wanted to add even more parts and increase the price further. Yes, if it was made separately then it could have been thinner. In its present form I would say it takes 3-4 minutes and a new No.11 scalpel blade to make it better. 

Earlier comparison was made with some really small parts in the amazing Modelsvit MiG-21F kit. Yes it is possible to do it even with injection moulding but as it was already discussed different technologies and the Eduard and Modelsvit kits are for different markets and buyers.

I dont think the alcohol bottle cover is any problem at all! It is good as it is (in this scale). Good to see that a small detail was added to the forward radio compartment cover. One should note that it is not present on all MF's.

Best regards

Gabor

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Why?

Eduard has found a formula that obviously works for them: well-moulded plastic kits that can be built with as little or as much aftermarket enhancement as the builder desires. The aren't doing anything unethical or anticompetitive so it's a bit ridiculous to criticize Eduard's business model based on what you think they should be doing.In the end, if they don't make money they'll go out of business. 

Because kit companies should be striving to get their plastic kits as good as possible.   Most people prefer plastic over resin and people mainly use resin if the plastic parts aren't detailed enough.   That's why companies like Special Hobby are improving their mould making and bringing out more and more kits made entirely of plastic.   If a kit has a choice of a resin part and a plastic part that have the same amount of detail then most people will use the plastic part as it's easier and better.

5 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

If a kit has a choice of a resin part and a plastic part that have the same amount of detail then most people will use the plastic part as it's easier and better.

Except plastic parts can't currently get the same finesse of smaller details that resin does due to production limitations.

5 minutes ago, charlie_c67 said:

Except plastic parts can't currently get the same finesse of smaller details that resin does due to production limitations.

That would appear to be the case but I suppose it all boils down to whether Eduard or any other companies are intentionally simplifying plastic parts when they could do a lot better.