1/72 - MiG-21 Fishbed by Eduard

172flogger

The greys are so-called MiG-21MF-75 (izdeliye 63), having similar cockpit layout as bis version and changes to the fuel system, as the Gorky factory was producing bis version at the same time. Gabor, are you really sure about "20 or so"? Other sources speak about 231 MF-75s manufactured in Gorky between 1975 and 1976 for export, not only to Czechloslovakia, but also to other countries like Romania or Bulgaria.

2 hours ago, JBr said:

The greys are so-called MiG-21MF-75 (izdeliye 63), having similar cockpit layout as bis version and changes to the fuel system, as the Gorky factory was producing bis version at the same time. Gabor, are you really sure about "20 or so"? Other sources speak about 231 MF-75s manufactured in Gorky between 1975 and 1976 for export, not only to Czechloslovakia, but also to other countries like Romania or Bulgaria

This article (text in Romanian):

http://www.aripi-argintii.ro/aparatdezbor.php?p=127

mentions only the GAZ-30 „Znamia Truda” of Moscow as the manufacturer, but at the bottom of the article there is a list of all the Romanian MiG-21 MF/MF-75. You might deduce from the date when they entered service (Data intrării în serviciu) and fabrication series (Seria de fabricaţie) the plant responsible.

Edited by Fin

Thank You for this quick answer Gabor.

Well, at least Eduard did a good job for a very special aircraft. I didn't know that only 20 were produced. But as I want to modell a Czech model...I hope I won't have any reason to be deceived.

With all your knowledge you should write book and produce your own decals.

I can understand your bitterness about some producers.

Thanks a lot for all the time you dedicate to the community.

Madcop

On 04/09/2017 at 9:12 PM, Laurent said:

You can also try to find the Innex kit... but it's also OOP I'm afraid.

The Innex kit is available under the Akkura label. Available as double boxings from Ebay seller 'Trinitymews2' . More accurate than the Fujimi kit. 

Not a bad kit, engraved panel lines but not up to the standard of a new Eduard mould. A lot cheaper however than what Eduard will be.

1 hour ago, Hornet133 said:

The Innex kit is available under the Akkura label. Available as double boxings from Ebay seller 'Trinitymews2' . More accurate than the Fujimi kit. 

Not a bad kit, engraved panel lines but not up to the standard of a new Eduard mould. A lot cheaper however than what Eduard will be.

Ah that explains the origins of the akkura kit. Have a few in the stash. 

12 hours ago, madcop said:

Well, at least Eduard did a good job for a very special aircraft. I didn't know that only 20 were produced. But as I want to modell a Czech model...I hope I won't have any reason to be deceived.

There were way more than 20 produced and delivered not only to Czechoslovakia. 

On 1/4/2018 at 9:23 PM, madcop said:

. . . With all your knowledge you should write book and produce your own decals.

I can understand your bitterness about some producers.

Madcop

I am too old to be frustrated about things like this. I simply dont care anymore! There is no point in wasting time on this!

Sorry I have to remove my posts

Good Bye

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • Like 3

On 4.01.2018 at 10:36 AM, JBr said:

The greys are so-called MiG-21MF-75 (izdeliye 63), having similar cockpit layout as bis version and changes to the fuel system, as the Gorky factory was producing bis version at the same time. Gabor, are you really sure about "20 or so"? Other sources speak about 231 MF-75s manufactured in Gorky between 1975 and 1976 for export, not only to Czechloslovakia, but also to other countries like Romania or Bulgaria.

The MF-75 (izdeliye 63) variant has been supplied to Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Romania, Poland and GDR only (although I'm not sure whether Hungary had only the"original" MFs). So as the number you state (231) applies to all the MFs and MF-75s built by the Gorky factory, there must have been also MFs manufactured either in Moscow or in Tbilisi, as Poland alone operated exactly 100 -21MFs and twenty -21MF-75s.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
Numbers for the Polish usage added

On 2018. 01. 05. at 10:35 PM, KRK4m said:

The MF-75 (izdeliye 63) variant has been supplied to Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Romania, Poland and GDR only (although I'm not sure whether Hungary had only the"original" MFs). So as the number you state (231) applies to all the MFs and MF-75s built by the Gorky factory, there must have been also MFs manufactured either in Moscow or in Tbilisi, as Poland alone operated exactly 100 -21MFs and twenty -21MF-75s.

Cheers

Michael

As far as my sources are correct, Hungary had izdeliye 96. Part of the contingent was made in Moscow, and the serie no. 9 in Gorky.

On 2018. 01. 03. at 7:38 PM, Laurent said:

The quote was about Zvezda's PFM. Anyway. What are the shortcomings of the 1/48 MiG-21MF, Borisz ?

The dude who made a review in the magazine Pro Model did not answered yet, your question is not forgotten. Of course the article is not availible online...

• Thanks 1

New pics from the on going project (update - see post herebelow  ;-) ) - future 1st kit ref. 70141. Release expected in May 2018.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/1922306591117612

Designer Tomáš Fikar and programmer Milan Stejskal are checking the electrodes for the new MiG-21MF in 1/72 scale. The first kit from a range of brand new MiG-21s in 1/72 scale, has already been assigned catalog number 70141, and we are planning to release it in May 2018.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

37 minutes ago, Homebee said:

New moulds pics

I apologize for the nitpicking but these aren't mould pics but EDM electrodes. Tooling process:

- rough cut of the steel mould part (do you remember the 1/48 AMK Kfir V1.0 photo where everybody in forums howled about ?)

- cut copper EDM electrodes

- EDM process to obtain the small parts and surface details on the steel mould part:

On 5/1/2018 at 2:30 AM, Hornet133 said:

Not sure if this kit is bad or not... panel lines are very heavy and inconsistent, some are not even straight when they should be. A lot of features are crudely moulded (the rear airbrakes and the many fairings for example), detail is crude. On the plus side it's very cheap, got mine for €15 delivered to home for the two-kit set. And the people at Akkura were really very helpful when there were problems with the delivery. Great service but not really a nice kit...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Not sure if this kit is bad or not... Great service but not really a nice kit...

Well until the Eduard release and given that the Bilek kit isn't produced anymore, there's no alternative at the moment. 

Eduard will be releasing two versions of MF, "greys" from Gorky in May and the older version from Znamya Truda at Fall. There were many CAD images showing the differences between them published multiple times already... So no, the first released version won't be usable for Hungarian aircraft, but the Fall one should be.

• Like 1

Because people who don't know any better will buy the kit to do 'foreign' MFs, but they wouldn't buy it if they know it's 'wrong'.

Same reason as any business, really: they're trying to sell the maximum amount of product at the minimum amount of cost.

Why not to say Czech MF? Because 1) it wasn't build that way on Czechoslovak request and 2) it was exported to multiple other countries too? If you want to go exotic, two are even rotting at Bamako airbase in Mali. I'm sure appropriate paint schemes will be selected for the profipack release.

Somehow I get a feeling from some of the posts in this thread that no matter what the guys in Eduard will do, it will always be wrong for some people.

4 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

Be interesting to compare these with my old Fujimi ones.   Nice kits for their day but fairly inaccurate now especially the canopy.

Nice kits - crappy models. :)  The entire front end is way off.

Cheers,

Andre

31 minutes ago, Hook said:

Nice kits - crappy models. :)  The entire front end is way off.

Cheers,

Andre

Definitely.   I remember the praise they got at the time but I think people got carried away as they fitted together quite well but overlooked the inaccuracies.

11 minutes ago, SeaVenom said:

Definitely.   I remember the praise they got at the time but I think people got carried away as they fitted together quite well but overlooked the inaccuracies.

I think it's more a case of we didn't know any better.

12 minutes ago, Wez said:

I think it's more a case of we didn't know any better.

Or a case of "the kit is great so they must have done their research and the model (accuracy) must be good".

Edited by Laurent