Meng AMX 30 B2

Stesca

That looks great under it's layer(s) of paint. I like the idea of the pre-shading in some areas - something I've not tried on my little tank builds but I might do for the 1/48 ones I'm going to try for the Achtung Panzer GB. Thank you for the idea.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, the pre shade helps with modulation and really makes a difference on mono coloured vehicles.

Finally got the tyres and tracks painted, then today I assembled the running gear and lo the fun began I will just say when building the tracks ignore the 80 links that they tell you to build and do at least 83 or 84, they were rubber band tight, which is fine for rubber band tracks not so for delicate workable ones! :huh: so I resisted the pack it away impulse and after some selective adjustments [butchery] I got it all fitted,

IMG_20150129_172650_zps9250dade.jpg

IMG_20150129_172636_zpsc8ff4580.jpg

IMG_20150129_172401_zps6e0ce043.jpg

IMG_20150129_172350_zps19b1b118.jpg

Now to get on with the detail painting and washes.

Thanks for looking, Steve.

Wow!! The detail on that kit is really starting to show through under your skilled paintwork! Looking forward to seeing what it looks like with all the detail painting and washes applied. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I have this kit!! Can't wait to build it. This kit is so much better looking than the Meng amx30 kit. The B kit is more slick.

Agree, I had no interest in the standard AMX 30 but this one I could not resist, much better looking.

Never seen a Meng kit before ( never heard of them until I joined here tbh) they look nice and clean. Great build and nice wip. Thanks for posting.

Thanks, you should take a look at them, interesting subjects and very detailed kits.

Finally managed a few hours on it today, been a very busy few weeks so today first chance to start weathering, a little more tidying to do but not far off finished,

IMG_20150208_1724362_zps5c2d18ed.jpg

IMG_20150208_1723352_zpsa18df4d1.jpg

IMG_20150208_1723292_zps89673f5c.jpg

IMG_20150208_1723202_zps812b34ef.jpg

IMG_20150208_1723012_zps5daa612d.jpg

IMG_20150208_1722542_zps3e88c4e3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Steve, do you do use a lot of washes for panel lines and such? If not then I may stop using it much. Causes more of a mess than anything.

I do use several washes but it depends on the colours, if it is a mono tone finish then I try to achieve as much variation using modulation and maybe one or two gentle washes, then I will do a pin wash but I try to keep it light, I always pick out highlights after the pin wash and tidy up where it has been too heavy, on this one I did two light dusty washes/filters to take the starkness out of the brown camo and give it a dusty look, I then dust it down with pigments, I need to tidy up the over heavy pin wash and pick out the highlights and little bits like that, I always prefer to be as subtle as poss. where I can, experiment until you are happy with the look you have. Sorry for the long winded reply. :rolleyes:

Edited by steve scanlon

Thanks guys, she came out nicely in the end, I found no pitfalls really, I left the exhausts, rear fuel cans as separate parts, until the camo painting was done, the two covers each side of the hull are etch so they got knocked a few times and made the detail painting of the tools and spare track a bit harder to get at but nothing serious, so think about wether you want to add them later though that will mean at least temporarily attaching them for painting, the track and running gear is best done before the upper hull etc. but very nice detailed kit, I would definitely build another.

Thanks for the heads up, not going to start anything until I got the tracks done, I managed to put 40 together last night, so slow but realy do work well. No point in rushing anything.

Well until the beer garden weather gets here.

• Like 1