Westland Wasp pencil drawing

Jonners

Hopefully this will complement Anthony's impressive Westland Scout painting, though it comes a poor second place as I haven't yet even tried painting, far less mastered it!

I was asked by a work colleague to draw a Westland Wasp, a subject which surprised me until he explained that he wanted me to reproduce the precise aircraft that his late father flew from HMS Penelope in the early-to-mid 1960's. He couldn't give me much more information but sent me a couple of photos of the machine in question from his father's logbook, which helped enormously with getting the markings and aircraft modification (or lack of...) state correct.

To keep it fairly concise, I planned the final image to include HMS Penelope, the ship's badge/crest and the helicopter in order to place each element in context with the others. I found a reference photo of a Wasp which was in precisely the attitude that I'd planned, but as it was of a late-mod Wasp I then had to 'de-modify' the drawing to represent a very early Wasp from circa 1964. I had the same problem with HMS Penelope: the reference photo that matched my plan was of Penelope in her later guise with missile launchers having replaced the gun turret, plus other changes, so I had to alter my drawing to represent her earlier configuration. (Nothing especially new to modellers there; a fascinating research exercise followed by a conversion, but in 2 dimensions!)

Changes to the helicopter from the reference picture include:

- Removal of the cabin strengthening band

- Deletion of the flotation gear

- Alteration of the roof windows

- Addition of an observer's seat

- Deletion of the crewman

- Addition of the spherical radar reflector

- Change to the angle of the wheels

- Alteration of the exhaust shape

- Deletion of the I-Band transponder

- Change of markings (obviously!!)

- Alterations to aerials

- Deletion of the wind deflector

.....plus probably one or two others besides.

Here's a pic of the 'Work in Progress':

WestlandWaspinprogress_zps0ced229c.jpg

And here's the finished picture, taken using my phone camera so the usual apols for the less-than-perfect quality:

WestlandWaspwithHMSPenelope_zpsc5fc55b5.

Thanks for taking the time to look; as always, constructive criticism is very welcome!

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 17

Jon,

EXCEPTIONAL pencil sketching. Even the pilot looks to have 'movement' ..what I mean is that he looks as if he engaging with us..

HMS PENELOPE Looks mighty impressive... :wow:

I like it.... Are you going to frame it...

:worthy:

Lovely drawing Jonners. The thought of doing a wasp is always really appeals but the complicated undercarriage looks really daunting. The scout is so very simple in comparison. Yours looks great by the way and thank you for giving the breakdown on the mods you have made to create the earlier mark. You obviously know your subject and have found some good reference material. For the moment a wasp painting will have to remain on my to do list.

Anthony

That's another cracking drawing Jon - both the Wasp & Penelope! I have to admit I used to find painting a bit more straightforward than pencil drawing (once I'd got my head around basic colour theory) - i'm pretty sure you'll have no real problem with it once you start!

Really lovely work again

Keith

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...