1/72 Airfix Halifax B.III - new mold one day?

Tempestwulf

Hey all

Does anyone know if Airfix plan to make a new mold Halifax III sometime in the future? I see they're releasing the old mold kit with the below markings. As it's a Kiwi pilot/crewman I'd love to build it, but don't want to build the old kit, neither do I want to buy it just for the decals. Alternatively, if someone plans to buy it can I have the below set? I am willing to pay well for them. :2c:

Handley Page Halifax B.III, "Mungo Taipo", No 78 Squadron, Royal Air Force Breighton, Yorkshire, UK, 1944
a06008a-batf.jpg

Has anybody ever seen a photo of this particular Halifax? I ask because it has become quite well known over the years and appeared in quite a few publications as side view artwork yet aIthough having most books available on the type I`ve never come across a photo of this particular aircraft bar a very small photo depicting only the artwork. I`d like to confirm that the tail stripes are correct for this particular Halifax as I would like to build it too.

Hi Tempestwulf, Revell are releasing a new Halifax B.III, which will likely share the wings and fuselage of their flawed B.II

-
WV908

It is great news re the Revell Halifax Mk.III but it will not be able to share the wings of the B.II kit and will also require new wings! The Hercules engined Halibag did not have the same amount of engine nacelle extending across the top of the wings for a starter!

I do hope that Revell seek help/advice with this one and don`t bugger it up again!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Very interesting comments guys, thanks heaps for the feedback. It's always so interesting to read what people know and the information that comes to light.

Mikesmodels I wonder if Airfix still let you buy just the decals as that would be the game. However, a decent B.II Halibag like Revells still alludes that doesn't require conversion.

I also wonder if there is a NZer working for Airfix who chooses which markings to use, or is it fluke they've used a few with Kiwi roots. I mention the above Halifax, Cobber Cains Gladiator, RNZAF Vampire T.11 & RNZAF Canberra as examples. C'mon Airfix, you know you want the new Beaufighter Mk.X to have 489 Sqn markings, admit it :fight:

Edited by Tempestwulf
  • Like 1

I wouldn't describe Revell's Halibag as decent - though the fuselage is good. If Airfix want to do something a little different they could always choose a Mk.VI for the box label: the differences from a Mk.III could readily be covered in the parts.

I'd happily go for a late night fighter Mossie with 488 Sq codes ME.G - unfortunately the right serial has not yet surfaced.

• Like 1

Very interesting comments guys, thanks heaps for the feedback. It's always so interesting to read what people know and the information that comes to light.

Mikesmodels I wonder if Airfix still let you buy just the decals as that would be the game. However, a decent B.II Halibag like Revells still alludes that doesn't require conversion.

I also wonder if there is a NZer working for Airfix who chooses which markings to use, or is it fluke they've used a few with Kiwi roots. I mention the above Halifax, Cobber Cains Gladiator, RNZAF Vampire T.11 & RNZAF Canberra as examples. C'mon Airfix, you know you want the new Beaufighter T.X to have 489 Sqn markings, admit it :fight:

I bought two lots from them last year. You can reach them via their website. There is also a seller on ebay who has the Halifax decals for sale, Item: 251174392881

Cheers,

Mike.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Airfix re-tool the Halifax MK III next year (or the following year) - the original kit is from 1962 (I believe) and if you go by how Airfix is re-tooling their kits... it's likely that the Halifax will be sooner rather than later. When you consider that this year they're re-tooling the Beaufighter (1958 I believe) and the Defiant (1960), not to mention the Stuka (1957); it would seem they're working their way through their "back catalogue" sequentially.

Cheers,

Dave

Sequentially? But no Bf109F or Lysander or S.55 or WW1? I don't think they're that predictable. Yes they are redoing at least some of the kits that are particularly elderly, but their logic will be based on what will sell today/tomorrow. The Stuka had already been redone in the late 70s - as indeed had the Lysander and (earlier) S.55. What about those other early subjects that fall well below modern standards? Yak 9? Il 2? Auster? Will they sell to a predominantly UK market in 2016? Well, maybe, if the Kate does!

Heh... that's why I said "it would seem" - I'm not saying that it's definite that they're working sequentially; it just seems like they are :D - I can tell ya, I would buy a new tool Auster (and Lysander!!) done by Airfix; but having only me buy one in 2016 AND not being in the UK does not mean squat to them I'm sure :D

Not to get too far off topic though; I really think the Kate will do incredibly well as long as it's decent and up to snuff for the Japanese aircraft fans (of which there are many). Just about anything to replace the old(er) Hasegawa kit would be good and I bet Airfix will have it at a "reasonable" price too (all things considered).

Regardless, we have so much to choose from and a multitude of kits from which to build.and it just seems like there's so many now to choose from with the level of quality bar being raised all the time. It's a great time to be building in my opinion :) And I would really love to see Airfix's Halifax MK III retooled and would hope it would be spot on (now that Revell is doing theirs and, if they can't correct their issues).

Cheers,
Dave :)

It is great news re the Revell Halifax Mk.III but it will not be able to share the wings of the B.II kit and will also require new wings!

I know that, you know that, but do Revell? It looks like they've tried to accommodate the different engine nacelles and wingtips in the current B.II kit

-

WV908

Edited by WV908

It's a while since I looked at the area, but as I recall it the fairings above the wings do not match the Merlin ones either. But then, there is just so much wrong with those engine cowlings, I suspect this is simply yet another error rather than a devious plot. Let's see when we get the kit: I'm not expecting change there but would love to be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a look at the photographs of Revell's Halifax BIII on display at Nuremberg.While it appears to share the MkII fuselage,the wing,gladly,appears to be completely new.Hopefully,no new errors have been introduced.

I would imagine Airfix doing the Halifax, Stirling, Hampden and Wellington in the coming years

I`m currently busy with two Hampden`s so the `Flying Suitcase' must now be a dead cert for next year`s new release list!

Having looked at the photos of the Revell Halifax Mk.III I`m not convinced that they have got the engines or propellers right so there must be room for the Halibag to still receive the Airfix treatment? After all.....Airfix released their superb new Lanc not long after Revell did their own Lanc kit.

Cheers

Tony

Sadly I can't see Airfix doing a new Halifax , Stirling or Sunderland. My reason for thinking this is simply because Revell and Italeri have stolen the lead with their new kits and I don't think there are enough people out there wanting to build models of these aircraft. The time for Airfix to retool these kits was before their competitors stepped in and stole the Airfix monopoly on them.

Having said that I am not without hope. If Airfix were to make new tools that were both better and cheaper than their rivals then who in their right mind would buy anything other than the Airfix kit? My other hope is that because the U.K. is presumably the main market for these kits , and that given the British bias towards Airfix and the availability of Airfix over it's rivals that it may be worth Airfix doing new tools.

I will be buying both the new Revell kit and the old Airfix kit, the Revell kit because I like the Halifax and Airfix kit because I like old Airfix kits and I have still yet to build the Airfix Halifax.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 1

I think it a safe bet that they will do them "in the coming years. Just define "coming". We are unlikely to get more than one four-engine model per year, and they may yet fit in other types (B-24? B-17? Victor?), so by the time the last one comes out it will no longer matter that the other competitors got in early - if that really matters to Airfix all that much. Revell are still widely spread in the UK but Italeri much less so.

"better and cheaper" are often contradictory, but yes, let's look forward to that day.

I think it a safe bet that they will do them "in the coming years. Just define "coming". We are unlikely to get more than one four-engine model per year, and they may yet fit in other types (B-24? B-17? Victor

Dare I hope for a PB4Y-2 Privateer?

Oh Airfix will do certainly more new 4mots as other ones from their old range. I would welcome it very much. When I look at the He111, it will be a winner anyway. I think its the best one in 1:72 although Revell did rebox the Hasegawa one for a very good price . I have several Lancaster kits from different makers, but I ogle at the new Airfix one and then I would sell my old ones perhaps. I would build only one because of space reasons.

• Like 1

I think it a safe bet that they will do them "in the coming years. Just define "coming". We are unlikely to get more than one four-engine model per year, and they may yet fit in other types (B-24? B-17? Victor?), so by the time the last one comes out it will no longer matter that the other competitors got in early - if that really matters to Airfix all that much. Revell are still widely spread in the UK but Italeri much less so.

"better and cheaper" are often contradictory, but yes, let's look forward to that day.

As a business Airfix have to make money so it does matter how many potential customers there are for certain kits. Airfix may feel that a new tool Halifax for example may not be worth the investment if the most it could hope to achieve would be to divide an already limited market.

As far as better and cheaper goes the Revell Merlin Halifax does not seem to be a popular kit amongst model makers and their Hercules version already seems to have a cloud hanging over it as far as quality is concerned. Italeri unlike Revell are generally a lot more expensive than Airfix and again there is a fair amount of dissatisfaction over the quality of their Sunderland and Stirling kits.This why I am confident that Airfix could beat Revell on quality and Italeri on both quality and price.

Edited by old thumper

As often said, sales for Revell do not equal money for Airfix. I don't think you should equate comments on the internet with the wider issue of model sales. Just because a handful of enthusiasts are critical (and don't come back for another example) need not equate to a significant lack of sales overall. Even within our limited circle, note the number who reject any criticism of their kits, complain when anyone does mention inaccuracies, and say that it doesn't matter to them how inaccurate a model may be, as long as it "looks like".

• Like 1

I was looking forward to Revell's Merlin Halifax, then bitterly disappointed to see how badly they got it wrong. I still thought I'd get one, but only when this obvious disaster of a kit was massively reduced in the clearance bins.

Guess what - I'm still waiting.

Whatever critical modellers may think of the kit, it's not ended up being one of Revell's rock-bottom clearance kits. Presumably somebody's buying them, even if it's not you and me.

Cheers,

Bill.