Fairey Long Range Monoplane - Excuses and promises...

49 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

The best way to do it...

Thanks Ian, very useful tip about the tape template. I was visualising trying to measure the widths at various points and thinking it wouldn't end well!

I was thinking of PVA glue because I will not be gluing plastic to plastic. Or maybe a solvent-free contact adhesive.

Regards,

Adrian

Still here and still enjoying this! I keep thinking about having a go myself, but then sanity (or cowardice!) re-asserts itself (can't find a chicken/snivelling coward emoticon).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, greggles.w said:

It seems I've found a scratch build master class! Great persistence with your experimentation.. not sure I'd so readily restart a whole fuselage again .. twice!!

It's one of those "Don't do it this way" masterclasses... :)

I should have picked a square one...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Hi Adrian, great work so far but I really can't see what was wrong with that second fuselage. It looked fine to me .👍 Anyway, thanks for posting this and keep going - I'm learning quite a bit. You are even making me rethink my poor opinion of balsa- perhaps I just need some 'Ronseal wood hardener' .  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Still plodding along. I have filled in between the formers with balsa to strengthen it before slathering on a coat of Milliput:

IMG_3529.jpg

You can just see the tubes for the undercarriage mounting poking out beneath the cockpit.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 10

I am watching from time to time your efforts here and I am a bit surprised that you quit already so three times where it was not so bad really... . Regarding fabric covered fuselage I would do it now by a double attempt - first made by sanding fuselage round in section to the dimension a bit smaller then desired, than glue on it very thin sprues, everywhere, where edges shoud came. When it will be alredy fixed I would a thin layer of putty - the best in this technique is Tamiya grey basic putty. Then one have to move a finger (or something of similar softness) along fuselage - it will remove excess of putty from speces between sprues and from sprues  but not from a close distance from spre, making desired struture. I am using this to make a structure on fabric covered wings (DH 84, DH 90, now R5). Before finding this technique - in fuselage I was just using wet sanding making the fuselage structure (Avia BH 33)

You may see the result here 

I know - on Avia decals remains silvering,... :(

I keep my fingers crossed for your Fairey

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
error correction
  • Like 4

Hello again,

So last night I covered the fuselage with Milliput. This morning I got to sanding, using extra coarse decorating sandpaper and a file. First I squared off sides and bottom, stopping when I got to the black edges:

IMG_3542.jpg

The engine cowling shape has, I think, finally been done justice:

IMG_3545.jpg

And I've plotted a best course through the rear fuselage, where the formers didn't quite line up but served as a guide. In the second picture you can see where the former edges start to loom out of the filler as you get close:

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

In line with my policy of never letting putty go to waste, I tried my hand at another figure, as you can see in the dish in my post above. I painted her up and she looks quite dashing as la Libertee in the Blenheim:

IMG_3541.jpg

So, what does the rest of the day hold for me, after such an excellent and bracing start? Finishing the fuselage perhaps??

Nope.

I'm going to see one of my in-laws and his theatre troop perform a modern allegory about whistleblowing and alienation in a small hall off Trafalgar Square. Families - I love 'em ;)

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 15

This is a really interesting project: as a fellow scratch builder it is very interesting to see how you tackle different problems (even if it takes three attempts!) This is really going well - I hope that you keep up with this now until it is finished. An unusual type and a very interesting one. Will continue to follow with great interest.

P

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen.

I've been "distracted" by work this week so not much progress. But I have added a tad more Milliput to fill a couple of depressions and make the engine cowling edge a bit sharper on the port side. I was wondering what the strange discolourations were in a couple of places. It is the balsa space fillers showing through - I will have to see what that does to the surface finish, as this will be mostly silver.

The next step is to make some embossed card sidings to see if I can do the fabric effect that way. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 2

I keep my fingers for you :)

BTW - you are using corase sanding paper. I am always using paper "600" (or higher) but always wetting a lot with water. Actually I am doing this in bathroom, almost under constant flow of water. Have you experience with wet sading? Why you prefer other way? If I may ask you... :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

I sand dry because my wife used all my wet and dry on her furniture! I haven't made it to Halfords ( a big U.K. car care store company) in a while, so I'm stealing her decorating stuff.

Seriously though, whatever I do, the rear of the fuselage will get covered by the fabric effect so a few scratches don't bother me there. I used sanding sticks on the cowling to get a smoother finish.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Next on my list, after I get on top of work...

The project has been tottering along in the background. I realise that I haven't posted some of the stuff I've been doing.

I wasn't happy with the original tailplane (too thin) so I re-made one from balsa:

IMG-5435.jpg

...and cut out the elevator:

IMG-5438.jpg

The fuselage got some ribbing from scored plastic card. Contact adhesive didn't work:

IMG-5242.jpg

...but CA did, sort of:

IMG-5433.jpg

And I did the bottom with fishing line glued down with CA and filled with PPP:

E698-FCB0-D010-4-D02-85-A8-EC9-C5-D33-A0

The trouble with a project with long gaps is you look at what you have done and wonder whether to start again from scratch. So I'm vaguely contemplating wing #2 (a bit too chunky, not sure how to do control surfaces on what I've got) and fuselage #4 (not sure if the scored plastic card isn't too uneven, need to prime and have a look).

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 13

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

The trouble with a project with long gaps is you look at what you have done and wonder whether to start again from scratch.

I think you need to turn your 'OCD' switch off as I can't see anything wrong...just lots of hard work.

If one doesn't draw peoples attention to such things, you can get away with a lot :whistle:. Besides, how many would openly say 'your ribbing is uneven' :fight:.

Stuart

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The trouble with a project with long gaps is you look at what you have done and wonder whether to start again from scratch.

.. this is so very true Adrian .. but fuselage #4?! Good grief, I’ve gone pale just thinking about it !!

• Like 1