Airfix old Bill bus.

stevej60

Hi folks, my first armour foray for last years D-Day GB was a real joy so I thought as my two aircraft builds coming to an end I

would do another with a bit of difference.I got Airfix,s old Bill bus for Christmas thanks to my eldest and made a start yesterday

and while tidying the top of the cupboard found the house corner(Italeri) that was going to be a part of the D-Day build and I

have a box of WW1 British figures somewhere upstairs so I thought a little diorama might be possible.I popped into my LMS

for a couple pots of paint and in the model railway section found a pack of wood plank effect sheeting to replace the

cardboard sheets in the kit that board up the windows.So I will have the Base and house corner,bus and a couple of Tommies

greeting each other near the bus,the imaginary meeting of my Grandad Bob(RA) and Great Uncle Jim(Welch Rgt) Bob married

Jim,s neice and came home safe Jim was killed in action in 1917.First pics tomorrow,

Edited by stevej60

Hi folks here,s a couple of photo,s to start off this one,the Airfix bus needs a lot of cleaning up as it is riddled with ejector pin marks in the worst places

it takes as long to clean up as build up! This is about two hours work and as far as I got before painting needs to start.There are very few photos online

of the interior in particular how much was painted so artistic licence has to be used on the lower deck.There are some excellent photo,s online of other

modelers take on this kit I particularly like on guys wear and tear with the red of the original paintwork showing through,thanks for looking.SDC12533800x600_zpsc1f1a6e8.jpgSDC12534800x600_zps4634dc61.jpgSDC12535800x600_zpsabedf391.jpg

• Like 3

Hi folks here,s a couple of photo,s to start off this one,the Airfix bus needs a lot of cleaning up as it is riddled with ejector pin marks in the worst places

it takes as long to clean up as build up! This is about two hours work and as far as I got before painting needs to start.There are very few photos online

of the interior in particular how much was painted so artistic licence has to be used on the lower deck.There are some excellent photo,s online of other

modelers take on this kit I particularly like on guys wear and tear with the red of the original paintwork showing through,thanks for looking.SDC12533800x600_zpsc1f1a6e8.jpgSDC12534800x600_zps4634dc61.jpgSDC12535800x600_zpsabedf391.jpg

To be entirely accurate for the WW1 British army B type bus you need to sand off the 3 panels below the windows, square off the tops of the big windows, and panel in the curved bars on each side of the drivers canopy. The Airfix bus kit has a " 3 panel " body style which was just beginning to be manufactured in mid 1914 and the few that were constructed were held in store till after the war.

This style of body was not used by London General until 1919 so it is very innacurate for any WW1 wartime vehicle. The body style should be like this, a pre war Body:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/70000241 B 43 was a bus used in WW1 but Please note that the radiator top in this image is also a postwar change.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

Thank,s Selwyn,I know you are a bus aficianado so a couple of Questions: is the downstairs seating on this kit correct? I notice in the Occre build

in the vehicles section the seating is just a pair of continuous "bench" seats and any thoughts what paint was used if any on the inside of the lower

deck interior?I wish I had known about the body panel before assembly!

Thank,s Selwyn,I know you are a bus aficianado so a couple of Questions: is the downstairs seating on this kit correct? I notice in the Occre build

in the vehicles section the seating is just a pair of continuous "bench" seats and any thoughts what paint was used if any on the inside of the lower

deck interior?I wish I had known about the body panel before assembly!

The seating on the Airfix bus on both decks is correct, with two upholstered bench seats on the inside (officially seating eight a side) and "garden seat" types upstairs. I would not put any stock on the occre kit at all as it is woefully innaccurate. They even call it the Dennis B type on the box which is interesting as all B type buses were built by AEC! a London Dennis is a D type suprisingly, but these did not turn up in London until the 1920's and looked very different.

http://www.londonbusmuseum.com/museum-exhibits/double-deck-buses/dennis-4-ton-d-142/

There were some B types with "garden seats" downstairs so called "Bentwood" bodies but these were trials vehicles and few and far between. Really the design of the B type was too narrow to have lines of seats inside, but legislation at the time limited the width of these vehicles.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

Many thanks Selwyn,I have replaced the card "boarding up" in the kit with plastic wood effect sheet.this because of my lack of tools and skill is

not 100% accurate but compromise is the name of the game with this build and taking Selwyns advice i have filled in the curved bars above the

cab and I think they will look ok once a few bits of filling in are done and the body is painted.I might give thought to filling the panels.

SDC12543800x600_zpsebf10a2a.jpgSDC12544800x600_zpsc5803220.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Many thanks Selwyn,I have replaced the card "boarding up" in the kit with plastic wood effect sheet.this because of my lack of tools and skill is

not 100% accurate but compromise is the name of the game with this build and taking Selwyns advice i have filled in the curved bars above the

cab and I think they will look ok once a few bits of filling in are done and the body is painted.I might give thought to filling the panels.

SDC12543800x600_zpsebf10a2a.jpgSDC12544800x600_zpsc5803220.jpg

Just to let you know in the last picture above you have the roof on backwards!

Selwyn

Hi all,got some colour on and sprayed the interior green figuring that,s what the army might have done anyway,I,m really pleased at the look of

the wood paneling so much better than the cardboard supplied in the kit.Thanks for looking.SDC12548800x600_zps431f73f1.jpgSDC12546800x600_zps46067f17.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all,got some colour on and sprayed the interior green figuring that,s what the army might have done anyway,I,m really pleased at the look of

the wood paneling so much better than the cardboard supplied in the kit.Thanks for looking.SDC12548800x600_zps431f73f1.jpgSDC12546800x600_zps46067f17.jpg

For those building the airfix Old Bill Bus a great reference is the book in the post below. you still need to sand off the three side panels though!

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

Hi all,todays progress,oop.s little bit of warpage on the rear tyres! ended up cutting them in half and once glued in place and a touch of filler they look fine.

spent the rest of the time cleaning up the interior seating ready for paint and building the upper deck (just popped on for the photo) thanks for looking in.SDC12550800x600_zpsa054cb1d.jpgSDC12552800x600_zpsc9441082.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,just a little time yesterday for modeling painting the wheels has begun and main pieces of figures assembled(helmets popped on for photo) I

did a little bit of filling and cutting to get the figures arms extended as if about to shake hands.Next job is the interior seating and spraying of the

upper deck and I need to start thinking of the size and type of base.Thanks for looking in.SDC12615800x600_zpsff5d38a0.jpg

• Like 4

Where are those figures from?

Like the progress so far...

They are the two "tommies" from Masterbox,s Somme set with the two Germans carrying an injured man.

Hi all,been a bit distracted by the P40 SIGB lately so now it,s time to do a little more work here so finished the interior with the seating and as not

a thing can be seen once the top deck is fitted left it at that.There are a few extras I want to add to the bus referencing pictures of the real thing one

being the canvas material hung around the roof of the open cab as protection against the weather this on a few photos was also done to cover the

side of the cab as there were no doors.Next step is to add the rear stairs and then I can start weathering the whole thing.thanks for looking in.SDC12662640x480_zps02232d2f.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3