New Zealand: P-40

Ok lets make a start:

P401_zpsaaa18b6d.jpg

P402_zpsf89e9069.jpg

I bought this Hasegawa kit a few years ago it came in an Airfix Spitfire box of all things. It looks like all the parts are there and the packaging is intact.

I'm leaning towards doing an Home Islands based machine as I've done a couple of Solomans based Kittyhawks already. So I'll be using some Ventura Decals markings for OD 28.

the only addition will be an Ultracast seat.

• Like 1

Personally think New Zealand markings make anything look better and the P-40 is no exception. Bit different from the more typical F4U Corsair that's seen carrying them from this era.

Thank you for choosing to build with the Lesser Built Air Forces GB today, Silver Fox

We appreciate that other P-40 orientated Group Builds are available and we value your custom.

Cliff

• Like 1

Glad to be here.

It doesn't look like much but I've made a start. The longer M model tail is in place and the scalloped spine pieces are also added. With the Hasegawa kit these are separate parts leading to some odd joint lines. I assembled the parts of a sheet of glass to ensure they lined up as getting this wrong would lead to a lot of swearing in the future.

P405_zps31862c09.jpg

A little filler was needed to tone down the joints even though they do occur on panel lines.

So I'll be using some Ventura Decals markings for OD 28.

P401_zpsaaa18b6d.jpg

see

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969085-rnzaf-roundel-blue-and-electric-blue-decals-some-background/

I'd not trust Ventura decals blue.

here's where the bright blue RNZAF roundels story comes from, even these weathered to falling off are not electric blue.

8a.jpg

Don't know why Ventura persist in their weird colour.

HTH

T

Yep my thoughts exactly, hence using the codes from the set combined with a set of much darker blue roundels. Pete Mossong has chapter and verse on this and has finally persuaded Malcolm Laird to revise his sheets.

Italeri do the same trick with all their RNZAF options.

However a change of plan has led me to NZ3076 in the Solomons.

Yep my thoughts exactly, hence using the codes from the set combined with a set of much darker blue roundels. Pete Mossong has chapter and verse on this and has finally persuaded Malcolm Laird to revise his sheets.

Italeri do the same trick with all their RNZAF options.

However a change of plan has led me to NZ3076 in the Solomons.

Pete Mossong brought up an interesting comment on a recent Hyperscale dicussion on RNZAF Corsair Roundel colours (that darned Powder/Electric Blue again).

Pete made coment that there were two different coloured Roundels, the darker version used in the Pacific theatre and a lighter colour back in New Zealand. That comment certainly made me sit up and listen :hmmm:

After this I did some investigating, and according to Pete's site, the Pacific Roundel when new was closest in match to FS 25056.

It's been often mentioned that the closest match to the Pacific Roundel is Humbrol Blue (Hu 25). Yet when you check Hu 25 against this colour the FS colour, FS25056 is much darker more akin to Midnight blue Hu 15.

More interestingly the lighter coloured RNZAF roundel worn by Aircraft in New Zealand, if I understand it correctly is cited to be close to/same as BS 108, which is the same or similar to RAF Roundel Blue, but most likely (IMHO) a good match for HU 25.

Looking forward to your build :popcorn: Always good to see Kiwi P 40's (99 runs Kills and not out)

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1

Alan,

I tend to follow Petes logic on this, If the machine was in NZ surely the RNZAF would use local paint to repaint the roundels, BALM or whoever would have been employed to create a blue which was likely to be a close match to the Roundels onpre-war supplied aircraft, though it may have been darker if produced once the dull colours appeared on later deliveries, but it would still have been lighter than the USN Blue, so HU25 looks a good starting poiny.

If it was repainted in the SW Pacific it is much more likely to have been repainted in whatever USN navy paint they could find, I think it is unlikely given the distances involved and the limited capacity of transport aircraft that the RNZF would have sent out tins of paint.

What I do find interesting fron the post-war shots of the scrapped P-40s at Rukuhia, is the US Star remained even after the repainted roundels( in some cases they had been repainted twice) , had worn off and the surrounding Olive drab/Foliage green top coat had gone the same way.It must have been a very tough paint and it must have been applied really well. I originally thought they used decals on the P-40 but it looks like I was wrong.

When I finish this one I'll dig out the other RNZAF P-40s I've completed.

Alan,

I tend to follow Petes logic on this, If the machine was in NZ surely the RNZAF would use local paint to repaint the roundels, BALM or whoever would have been employed to create a blue which was likely to be a close match to the Roundels onpre-war supplied aircraft, though it may have been darker if produced once the dull colours appeared on later deliveries, but it would still have been lighter than the USN Blue, so HU25 looks a good starting poiny.

If it was repainted in the SW Pacific it is much more likely to have been repainted in whatever USN navy paint they could find, I think it is unlikely given the distances involved and the limited capacity of transport aircraft that the RNZF would have sent out tins of paint.

What I do find interesting fron the post-war shots of the scrapped P-40s at Rukuhia, is the US Star remained even after the repainted roundels( in some cases they had been repainted twice) , had worn off and the surrounding Olive drab/Foliage green top coat had gone the same way.It must have been a very tough paint and it must have been applied really well. I originally thought they used decals on the P-40 but it looks like I was wrong.

When I finish this one I'll dig out the other RNZAF P-40s I've completed.

My thoughts were exactly the same as yours above re painting the Pacific roundel.

I have posted a link to the discussion, have a read of Pete Mossongs comment toward the end of the 1st page and page 2,

see what you think?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1414179842/New+F4U-1a+Corsair+EagleCals

I think the darker shade of decals by Ventura you have in your photo post above, look good and probably I would pick close to what the FS colour Pete gives on his website, when faded.

Regards

Alan

Alan,

I had seen that and generally I think it sums up what we think we know( if we think this is a complex subject, don't lets start on Pacific Blue!). If I was going to do OD 28 I'd use the darker roundels which I think are 'right' but I'm moving on to NZ3076/30 so it is a moot point.

It does look like the baby/electric blue roundel are discredited. As the NZ SIG leader here in the UK I have a spares box full of these things and they do get used on my young sons toys!

Some more progress though this will slow now as I have been asked to build a model for someone and have to prioritise on that.

The fuselage and wings are joined some filler was needed partly because of the way the parts are broken down to allow multiple versions and partially because I'm not such a good modeller.

P406_zpse1dda7ce.jpg

The wing gun inserts are a poor fit but once I've finished fettling them, they will capture the gun position in the wings really nicely.

P407_zpsbb37fc48.jpg

A bit more sanding will get me to apoint where I can spray on some primer and see what horrors emerge.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Hi Sliver Fox,

A belated welcome to the group build and some fascinating information to boot. Great picture!

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I have finished the priority model for a possible magazine article I can get back to this. Not much progress today, just some more sanding and a few bits added but it is at least moving again. I'm working away from tomorrow so nothing much will happen until next weekend.

I've finished the main construction work, and used a white undercoat instead of my normal grey primer to act as the base for the white I/D stripe this machine carried. The kit came with decals but my experiences when building the Wairarapa Wildcat boxing was they they didn't fit in the correct places so paint is the way forward.

P409_zps1be0930d.jpg

Once masked off I'll add the canopy and the side windows(after painting the scallops of course).

• Like 1

I've just hit another roadblock, I bought the kit second-hand as I wanted the NZ markings, I now realise the canopy is broken and has a piece missing! Oh well I can get a replacement vac-form but it will slow progress.

Other than that I've masked the remaining glassware and painted the prop and spinner. I hope to get the Olive Drab on tomorrow.

Decalling complete. The Hasegawa decals were prone to splitting and the edges shattered a little as well, so they ended up nore like Jigsaw puzzle. I used some Ventura decals to replace the most damaged ones and some Modeldecals to create the codes.

P4016_zpsd05b7bef.jpg

funny how the gloss coat has really darkened the paint and turned it back to a single tone. Hopefully the matt coat will resort the original colours.

P4017_zps77fcda50.jpg

• Like 1