HMS Ark Royal IV (1976) - Lift well photos?

bootneck

I'm looking for images, or links to them, of the lift well areas on HMS Ark Royal IV. My main interest is to view the lift machinery/chains especially down the sides of the well and any other details such as the racks and shelving immediately inside the hangar areas from the lift.

My plan is to make a small dio of this area with the lift lowered.

Grateful to receive any info, images or links to sources.

Cheers

Mike

I’ll send you some scans from the 74-76 commission book. From memory, the wells were painted black. Can’t remember if there was anything at the bottom, the actual ‘well’ proper other than the ships structure, where the lift settled in to be flush with the hangar deck. I think one of the lifts only went down as far as the upper hanger (Aft?).The Fwd lift had catapult strops hanging in the spaces between the frames on the sides and a door to the sickbay on the fwd bulkhead, that was 4 deck so could have been between hangar levels.

Hi Paul,

got the scans thank you. I'm still looking for more detail/data if anyone can provide such. Also, Eagle, Hermes, Centaur, Bulwark and Albion (and possibly the Majestic's) had virtually the same lift structures so anything from those could be useful also.

I think the underneath (deck) of the lift wells were of slatted girders which stood on their sides to about a foot high. I seem to remember ladders and other odd items stowed in those spaces.

Yes, the sick bay was on 4 deck where the lift could stop in the upper part of the lower hangar (no wonder people get confused on ships!). Forward off the lift and then immediately left into the "Surgical Dressing Room", with the main ward and operating theatre further along and left again.

I didn't spend any time on Ark Royal, (although, with all the researching I've been doing, I feel I could find my way around her quite easily now!) but I did spend time on Albion, Bulwark and Hermes; with a posting to Intrepid also.

Thanks again for those images

Mike

Thanks, I've seen them but they appear to be too dark or grainy to get any real detail for modelling from them. If you've found one that has good lighting and detail can you let me know the title/version?

cheers

Mike

I'm not sure, but a friend of mine says there is a facebook page dedicated to the Ark Royal.

I'm back at work tomorrow and will ask him if you like. I'm not on facebook myself.