Airfix Swift

jaw

Just going off at a slight tangent for a 'Swift' moment. :analintruder: Wasn't Donald Cambell's Bluebird derived from a Swift? I wonder if a kitbash would be a worthwhile prospect?

K7 was re-engined with an Orpheus from a Gnat (one of the pre-production machines from memory) and also used the fin from the same aircraft.

Are you thinking of this?

ATB

Rick

Hardly a reason for a new tool. If one makes the effort the Revell 1/72 Hunter is out there, two model stores I frequent have stocks.

Marty...

Surely you can agree that this is rather anecdotal evidence, though? I lived near a shop here in the USA with three Hasegawa Beaufighters on the shelves, all hard to find in the UK and elsewhere (with the exception of Japan). That didn't make them less scarce anywhere else, nor, since the shop had no web presence and since its stock was known only to those around it, did it do anything to mitigate the shortage elsewhere.

Or, to put it another way, simply because there's a bumper crop of grain in the USA doesn't mean there's not a famine elsewhere, or that more grain might be needed.

• Like 1

Hardly a reason for a new tool. If one makes the effort the Revell 1/72 Hunter is out there, two model stores I frequent have stocks.

Marty...

Not wishing to be rude, Marty, but unless you plan to bag all of them for yourself over the course of the next few months, rather than leave some fellow BM'ers thinking you're accusing them of idleness, why not let those BM's not in my happy position (I discover it's actually 17 in my stash...) know the names of the two shops, so that they may be googled and contacted in a bid to obtain one?

I suspect a number of BM'ers would think 'the two stores you frequent; I've been searching high and low for the darn things without success'. Assuming that Something Wicked is in Huddersfield (no obvious website - 'something wicked models' returns a google result or two which I'm not going to click on...), the name and location of the 2nd would probably be received with gratitude from those BM'ers who are at a loss as to where to find one at a reasonable price.

Apologies to all for deviating from the actual topic of the thread for a further moment.

And with respect, my suggestion was that a new-tool of the 'small bore' Hunters and the T7 is justified anyway, since the options are either Revell + Aftermarket for the former and Xtrakit's rather poor effort for the latter.

• Like 4

K7 was re-engined with an Orpheus from a Gnat (one of the pre-production machines from memory) and also used the fin from the same aircraft.

Are you thinking of this?

ATB

Rick

I was working from memory. I always thought it was more Swift than Gnat, though my memory is pretty vague on this. I remember being told it was a Swift and then standing by Newark's example and thinking there was a resemblance between the hull and Swift's fuselage -possibly just coincidence?

And with respect, my suggestion was that a new-tool of the 'small bore' Hunters and the T7 is justified anyway, since the options are either Revell + Aftermarket for the former and Xtrakit's rather poor effort for the latter.

And of course, there's the oft quoted argument that 'Revell's Hunters make no money for Airfix'. There are some nice Italeri/Esci Harriers easily available, didn't stop Airfix doing another. Or a FW190, P40, P-51D, Hawk, Lancaster, Wildcat etc. I should think if Airfix see the need to do their own new Hunter, the prescence of the Revell kit, easily available or not, will have little bearing on their decision.

But I agree with an earlier poster, I do wish they'd hurry up & do their Sea Vixen & Javelin in the one true scale...!!

• Like 4

Yes - I started the thread wondering when the Airfix Swift might be available ( it is now shown as 24 Jan on the Airfix website) but the thread seems to have wandered distinctly off course. But yes a good new tool model of the Hunter to allow all variants from the F4 to the GA11 and all stations in between, including the twin seaters would be very good indeed. And the Scimitar, Javelin and Sea Vixen would be good too. Come on Airfix - you know you want to answer modellers demands!

John

• Like 1

At the risk of dragging the subject back on topic, does anyone know how a small batch of the things managed to find themselves on sale in the US? I guess the technical term for a Swift that finds itself on the wrong side of the Atlantic by mistake is a "vagrant", isn't it, birders?

Bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

Does raise an interesting question if the REAL Swift ever made it across the Atlantic!

As far as I can tell, no. Really there's no reason why it would have. I believe the furthest one ever went as a flyer was Libya for the speed record attempt. And a few dead ones were shipped off to Australia to be nuked in the Operation Buffalo weapons tests.

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/swift.htm

I was working from memory. I always thought it was more Swift than Gnat, though my memory is pretty vague on this. I remember being told it was a Swift and then standing by Newark's example and thinking there was a resemblance between the hull and Swift's fuselage -possibly just coincidence?

Yeah, no worries - you're right about the resemblance. But...

Take a look at this link, post #25

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?49793-Bluebird-%28K7%29-Project

A picture showing the wings of the Gnat that donated it's engine and fin to K7 - XM691, one of the prototypes. Mind you, by the time of the fateful run she had had a replacement engine fitted after the intakes collapsed during a run.

Now we must get back on thread.... :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Not wishing to be rude, Marty, but unless you plan to bag all of them for yourself over the course of the next few months, rather than leave some fellow BM'ers thinking you're accusing them of idleness, why not let those BM's not in my happy position (I discover it's actually 17 in my stash...) know the names of the two shops, so that they may be googled and contacted in a bid to obtain one?

I suspect a number of BM'ers would think 'the two stores you frequent; I've been searching high

XV107, where did I accuse anyone of being idle,please explain? As far as I'm aware the kits are still there I have no interest in them, I just noted they had some. They have a lot of Revell stock including several copies of the Revell 1/72 Neptune for £24 (half the current Hasegawa UK price) which I did bag a couple. They also have factory fresh versions of the 1/32 Hunter if that is of interest.

If I was not out of the country presently, I would have nipped down and picked them up if anyone was interested?

Marty...

The Airfix site now shows the Swift expected for 30 April 2015, so it sounds like the mould problems were more serious than first thought. We've waited so long for a mainstream Swift I don't mind waiting a bit longer for them to get it right.

I can't find any reference to a link between Bluebird and the Swift and the Bluebird hull was an original design. Bluebird's Metrovic Beryl engine was changed for an ex-Gnat Bristol Orpheus for the final runs - info from Wikipedia.

The Airfix site now shows the Swift expected for 30 April 2015, so it sounds like the mould problems were more serious than first thought. We've waited so long for a mainstream Swift I don't mind waiting a bit longer for them to get it right.

I can't find any reference to a link between Bluebird and the Swift and the Bluebird hull was an original design. Bluebird's Metrovic Beryl engine was changed for an ex-Gnat Bristol Orpheus for the final runs - info from Wikipedia.

Correct Bluebird, was designed to accept an Orpheus from a Gnat.

Marty...