Airfix Swift

jaw

What has happened to it? The last I heard from thevAirfixte Airfix website was that it should available on 24 Dec last year. Yet looking at the website now it is merely shown as a pre-order. Is there a further delay?

John

Most likely the shipping container from India has been delayed. From other threads it is clear that Airfix wnated to sort the problems out with QC and also tha the moulds needed some work to address the issues with the ejector pins damaging the fuselage. i always thought Christmas Eve was pushing it a bit and not everyone is back at work yet. My wallet does not mind waiting a bit longer.

Yes it has been a wait. I have had mine on pre-order at Hattons for months, hopefully it's not too long away....

Let's hope so. Be nice if Hornby / Airfix could give us a little hint though wouldn't it? I heard rumours that they monitor what is said on BM.

Whats wrong with th Revell 72 Hunters?

Marty...

Two problems; first of all currently out of production, and secondly the wheels are too small. Otherwise a great kit.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

Two problems; first of all currently out of production, and secondly the wheels are too small. Otherwise a great kit.

Hardly reasons to be calling for a new tool. There is plenty of residual stock and it is easy to pick up for those that are interested and the wheel 'thing' really is a mute point.

Marty...

If there's a call for a new Hunter in 1/72, it better be a two seat version!

Otherwise Scimitar and new tooled Buccaneer are much more pressing.

Oh, and getting the Sea Vixen and Javelin kits scaled down to 1/72 might be nice of them to get around to as well.

• Like 4

Hardly reasons to be calling for a new tool. There is plenty of residual stock and it is easy to pick up for those that are interested and the wheel 'thing' really is a mute point.

Marty...

ALL wheels are mute

Shane

• Like 3

Marty...

Good answer, the Revell wheels (muted or not) are easily replaced with aftermarket items. The need for a good 1/48 kit is more pressing is it not? The Academy 1/48 kit has a few issues.

• Like 1

Seeing that Airfix has not announced any new tool jets this for 2015, hopefully 2016 will be the year of the jet. Also they did get rid of their old Buccs rather quickly.

Robert

Whats wrong with th Revell 72 Hunters?

Marty...

Not convinced by your impression of there being lots of surplus stock available. They tend to go for fairly heavy money on eBay. And a two-seater would be good.

Edited by Work In Progress

Not convinced by your impression of there being lots of surplus stock available. They tend to go for fairly heavy money on eBay. And a two-seater would be good.

There are two model stores local to me that have stock, Something Wicked the last time I bobbed in had at least a couple of each. The issue today is folk tend to do there shopping from behind a keyboard these days and that informs thier opinion.

Marty....

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Oh, and getting the Sea Vixen and Javelin kits scaled down to 1/72 might be nice of them to get around to as well.

Only if they scale the Swift up to 1:48!

• Like 1

There are two model stores local to me that have stock, Something Wicked the last time I bobbed in had at least a couple of each. The issue today is folk tend to do there shopping from behind a keyboard these days and that informs thier opinion.

Marty....

But that's because a fair few of us have no model shop within sensible travelling distance, or if there is somewhere selling them it has a limited range of kits as part of its wider stock, and these are usually kits in production or which have only recently gone from the catalogue.

If I want a Revell Hunter in 72nd, I have either to travel to a good old-fashioned model shop and hope that they have one in stock, or get one online (or would if I didn't have over a dozen in my stash...) The last Revell Hunter I saw in a 'proper' model shop - now residing in my stash - was bought over a year ago, and the last time I saw one in any of the shops which carry kits as part of their line was probably in 2012 (I bought that one as well).

There's definitely a need for a T7 after the unimpressive Xtrakit effort, and given the possibilities in terms of markings for the F1/F2/F4/F5, an early version would be nice to see.

Anyway, the stash will have room created for a small nest of Swifts when they come out....

• Like 3

But that's because a fair few of us have no model shop within sensible travelling distance, or if there is somewhere selling them it has a limited range of kits as part of its wider stock, and these are usually kits in production or which have only recently gone from the catalogue.

Hardly a reason for a new tool. If one makes the effort the Revell 1/72 Hunter is out there, two model stores I frequent have stocks.

Marty...