RSH Bonnie Prince Charlie

16277848770_d5aacd26d5_c.jpg

IMGP3412 by Milord of Milford, on Flickr

Right then, Over the last few days has been a bit of fettling and opening of holes to get everything to fit. I made up a sloping block which was fixed to a cut back motor mount and then drilled so it could be screwed to the chassis. I also found my rear hole in my running plate was sligtly off position wise so I removed the boss of the top and turn it in to a slot from the motor cut out which worked a treat, thus the front hole was bang on position wise and the rear because its a slot now become self positioning. Soldered up the wires and added the capacitor across the terminals job done ! As you can see though the chassis has a lot of dust on it now so needs a bit of a clean, and a touch up paint wise.

Thing is though the major part is now done. Tomorrow I'll update the cad files with the changes I've made so far, including slightly letting the tolerances out since once the parts were painted the fit has become a bit tight.

That'll do for today.

Cheerio

Clive

Edited by Nearlymen
  • Like 1

Hi Windy,

It just an exercise in 3D modelling that I'm trying out at the moment for my own amusement (never done anything with shapeways so I thought I'd give it a go !), I am though tweaking the CAD files as I go along so I could make it a public model when I'm finished, never really thought anyone would be interested to be honest !

What I will do though is post what needs to be done to ARC models 'Charlie' to make it work with a pug chassis, a quick look at the ARC model I have here says it would be possible with a bit of 'chopping'. Maybe possible to use an ARC model in combination with my running plate (a fairly ease mod I think), which would work out cheaper than using my boiler, cab and running plate on their own ? I'll look at it tonight, mark up an ARC model 'Charlie and post some pics.

Cheerio

Clive

Ok, so this where we are at the moment, I've roughly assembled the parts Needs a little fettling to get things to fit but this is just paint build up affecting the tolerances.

I've simplified the lining to make it easier, this isn't really my scale and it's a bit too small but we're getting there.

Things to do list :- Go over the cylinders and wheels with the vallejo shade of green, add saftey valves and whistle, add nameplates and works plates......and that's about it ! Oh and add some crew to disguise the motor in the cab.

16502633612_ebecfc28bd_c.jpg

IMGP3419 by Milord of Milford, on Flickr

16315912738_aa5d9dda35_c.jpg

IMGP3420 by Milord of Milford, on Flickr

16502629522_4fced1e6bb_c.jpg

IMGP3421 by Milord of Milford, on Flickr

I didn't take a photo of the ARC model but would say it needs about 3mm cut off the front and rear of the water tankabout 5 off the cab sidplates and the upper cab assy shortened to suit, it would be doable though I think.

For the time being I'm stopping on this project until the nameplates and works plates are done (which maybe a while) so back to where this story started....where did I put that catalina !

Hope you've all enjoyed following this escapade !

All the best

Clive

Edited by Nearlymen
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A Small update !

Received confirmation from Narrow planet that the name and works plates have passed to manufacture, which means hopefully they will be with me in a few weeks.

Have also repainted the cylinders and wheels in the Vallejo green to match the bodywork. Added a lead plug inside the boiler to counterbalance the rear sloping motor. 3-link couplings now added to the buffer beams which looks nice ! Safety valves also now added. Next up will be some coal in the bunkers, yet to source a whistle !, then a final touch up of paint.

Once the plates arrive I'll get them fixed and post some pics.

Cheerio

Clive

Edited by Nearlymen

• 4 weeks later...

Right Then ! The plates arrived and that's about it I'm done ! I placed myself and my Dad circa 1970 on one side of the cab and my Dads mate (who is sadly no longer with us) Eric Muspratt on the other. I made the 'Tug Boat' Whistle from a bit of tamiya beaufighter ! and the saftey valves from bits of guitar string and scrap plastic.

This is very much a small model based upon my memories and the fun it all was when I was a small boy !

I hope you've enjoyed this romp down memory lane I know I have !

Cheerio

Clive

16927985151_1992cf8c76_c.jpg

IMGP3431 by Milord of Milford, on Flickr

16927992141_a07e9dd528_c.jpg

IMGP3426 by Milord of Milford, on Flickr

16306595534_8c4024739a_c.jpg

IMGP3428 by Milord of Milford, on Flickr

16927987511_0a5cb3a95b_c.jpg

IMGP3430 by Milord of Milford, on Flickr

16927982021_49fb2e4a01_c.jpg

IMGP3434 by Milord of Milford, on Flickr