Volkswagen Mk1 GTi and cabriolet models from Revell

richellis

revell_golf%20001.JPG

I am a bit of a VW Golf nerd, I’ve owned 12, mostly GTi’s, and I have a Mk1 GTi in the garage as a summer toy, a rolling restoration if you like. The Golf GTi is of course the Daddy of hot hatches and it was an instant hit with drivers with its great chassis and handling, it was a car you could carry the family, but still have a bit of fun on a good A road, and of course it was reliable! The Golf was launched in 1974, with the GTi on the road from 1976, production continued until the Mk2 hit the road in 1983. With the Golf’s success VW made the decision to chop the roof off and offer a soft top cabriolet model. The work was handed to the German coach builder Karmann, they designed and built the unibody underpinnings of the cabriolet to ensure the cars body remained strong without a roof. Production of the Mk1 cabriolet continued through till 1991 when the Mk3 Golf was released as the Mk2 Golf was never built as a soft top.
The Mk1 Golf body was still being made up to 2009 in South Africa as a City-Golf, with pick up Caddy versions, and Jetta saloons also being produced through the years.
To say I was excited to see Revell releasing some new Mk1 Golf’s is an understatement and the two kits have landed on the review bench. Revell have given us a small light Mk1 GTi that was available only between 1976 and 1980 when it was slightly revised and updated. The cabriolet was released by VW in 1980 and had the newer dash, and most of the updated features of the 1980 model Golf, except the larger rear lights.
For this review I will start looking at the GTi, then show the different bits in the cabriolet kit.

revell_golf%20003.JPG

The first bit out of the box is the one piece body shell, I have taken a few measurements against my 1:1 and the dimensions are good, as is the shape to my eye, the body has the doors and tailgate moulded solid. The mouldings and pressings look good and the detail is very sharp, just like the 1:1. I note the rear valance and lamp panel is a separate part so maybe Revell plan to do a post 1980 model?? (Please!)

revell_golf%20008.JPG

revell_golf%20009.JPG

revell_golf%20011.JPG

revell_golf%20012.JPG

revell_golf%20013.JPGrevell_golf%20014.JPG

revell_golf%20015.JPGrevell_golf%20017.JPG

The kit has 8 light grey sprues, all well cast with crisp detail and no flash on the review kit. Construction kicks off with the engine, the 1.6l petrol that was lifted from the Audi 80GTE, the engine looks like the 1.6, and the detail of the Bosh injection system, which is a focal point when the bonnet is lifted, is reproduced in the bay. The engine once built detailed and painted drops into the inner wing and firewall assembly, this should be painted the same colour as the car body, additional details like the radiator, battery and pipes can then be added along with some decals for the warning and information stickers found in most engine bays before the completed bay glues onto the chassis. The Golf is a unibody and as such has no chassis, the pressed floor along with the upper body gives the car strength, I poked my head under my Golf and the pressings and shapes on the kit plastic is very close to the real thing. The front suspension and steering is a copy of the Macpherson strut, with the steering able to move to allow you to pose some lock on the model, the various anti-roll bars and casting that help give the golf its precise steering and handling is reproduced, I can’t see any missing detail here. The rear beam axle is fitted next to complete the underside of the car. The wheels come next and they are the original steel pressed wheels, and with careful use of glue they can rotate.

revell_golf%20019.JPG

4 rubber tyres push over the wheels, the detail on the side wall and tread look good.

revell_golf%20020.JPG

The interior is made up next, the Golf has comfortable sporty seats up front and a 3 seat bench in the rear. Compared to today the interior is sparse but the kit is well detailed, and as a big plus comes with 2 dash boards, yes Revell have given us a Right hand drive version! This is the original twin dial dash pod, and the iconic Wolfsburg steering wheel. There are a few differences between the UK and European Golf’s, and these are described in the instructions. The headliner is included, with the roof handles included as parts, this is nice as I normally use a bit of plasticard for this. The door and side panels have the pressings and engravings that mirror the car well and the seatbelts for the front seats are included, again Revell have gone and added this bit extra on this kit, always a bonus.
The decal sheet has the dials for the dashboard along with the heater and radio details. On the decal sheet are the classic checked seat covers, with the red and white checked detail looking very good, some matt varnish will give a good effect on the seats.
Once complete the interior can be inserted into the body from below before the chassis is glued in place. The windows can be added from the outside. The instructions show the rear lamp panel and lower valance glued after the interior and chassis are in place, I would prefer to glue and paint these in-situ and looking it should be possible to fit these earlier in the build.

revell_golf%20018.JPG

The clear parts come bagged separately and are nice, not too thick and there were no flaws in my review sample. The lights have the lens and engraved details and they don’t look too heavy, but on the rear lamps will help painting the different colours on the lens. Final details are added like the bumpers, mirrors and wipers to complete the car, various badges off the kits decal sheet give the GTi its identity. Lastly is a selection of registration plates, as per normal ill moan the UK one looks wrong with incorrect spacing between the 5 and the N! It gives an Aug 1974- July 75 car so a bit early for a UK car, press car maybe, but CB being Manchester not correct for VW UK either! Anorak off!

revell_golf%20004.JPG

The cabriolet come next, again the body shell is a single part, with the windscreen surround and B pillar roll bar in place, as this is quite delicate a mould sprue links them for strength while in the stash, again the shape and size is good to my eye. I will only show the differences with this kit as the most parts like the engine, chassis and interior is the same as above. As I said above the cabriolet is biased on the post 1980 revisions and this is where the most parts are changed in this kit.

revell_golf%20021.JPG

There are 4 different sprues in this kit, the first covers the bigger bumpers fitted in the post 1980 revisions, and the later Avus 14inch alloy wheels. The cabriolet also has deeper side sills for extra strength on the car, and a different engine injection system.

revell_golf%20022.JPG
The seats and interior side cards are changed on the cabriolet, the seats are a bit less sporty and the rear bench seat is narrower to account for the folding hood. There is an optional closed hood and some more updated engine parts in the sprue.

revell_golf%20023.JPG

A cover for the folded open hoot is also enclosed, the creases look a bit deep and maybe the cover isn’t as secure as it should be as the cover should be a bit tighter when in place!

revell_golf%20024.JPG

The dashboard is also different in post 1980 cars, and this newer style dash with square dials is used in the cabriolet, the parts are well copied off the real car and again you can do a UK Right hand drive or euro Left hand drive from this kit.

revell_golf%20025.JPG

A nice decal sheet is enclosed, with the later seat fabric detail, and the various badges and dials included, all very well done with good detail and nicely printed as we would expect from Revell, UK registration plate is for a 1978-9 Exeter registered car.

To conclude a couple of very nice kits from Revell, they are well detailed with some nice touches, and extras from Revell with the inclusion of right hand drive dashboards. Looking at the parts maybe a post 1980 facelift will be done of the GTi, you could have a go at this by using part off the cabriolet but you would need to source the big rear lamps.
Recommended kits!

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif t_logo-a.png or facebook.gif

• Like 3