Bluebird-Proteus CN7

Good to see you back on the Bluebird Jorgen, thanks for the latest pics, is certainly is a build worth watching. I think I've one of the Record models in the stash

Colin

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 1

I have been a bit lazy building anything last week, but even more so with any updates of what actually got done. I had some good progress this weekend though, so here goes;

The four air scoops where cleaned out and a bit more general sanding done.

CN7_41.jpg

Then I hollowed out a lot of resin from inside the cockpit bubble and sanded it all smooth inside.

CN7_42.jpg

The windscreen opening was cleaned up and thinned down. The windscreen must be fitted on the edge and flush from outside, so there is no point in preparing that before the body is all painted. I also added the thin missing flanges made from 0,25 sheet around the two small side windows, drilled them out and sanded them down slightly.

CN7_43.jpg

CN7_44.jpg

I need to do a lot of work to the bottom nose piece before it can be glued in position; I will even have to paint the inside first. I started by adding material around the cockpit edge so that it became a tight fit against the inside of the body.

CN7_45.jpg

This is what it looks like at this point. Not too bad, but the joint on the inside will be far too visible as it's quite low. Also the air intake is too wide around the cockpit.

CN7_46.jpg

And here's the cockpit area from behind.

CN7_47.jpg

What I want to do is to raise the outer edges of the air intake on this part so that it becomes one paintable piece up to the top of the body where the inside joint line won't be very visible. Then my idea is to paint the whole area Alclad aluminium, mask it properly and glue this part to the body and finish filling, sanding and eventually painting. I will also build a complete cockpit tub that can be pushed in place from behind when the body is all finished.

I used the Dremel again to grind off a lot of resin from the cockpit area to make more room.

CN7_48.jpg

The inside needs to be smooth so a lot of air bubbles had to be filled.

CN7_49.jpg

Then I started work on raising the front edge and making it fit close up the inside of the air intake lip using this brass strips bent to shape.

CN7_50.jpg

I then started building up the new tighter outer walls with sheet styrene and filler.

CN7_51.jpg

After more filler and sanding I'm quite happy with the shape. It also needs to be smooth enough for primer and then Alclad aluminium paint.

CN7_52.jpg

When glued in place it will fit like this. The air intake lip on the body shell will be blue and the rest aluminium with the blank off walls at the rear black.

CN7_53.jpg

Next is the cockpit tub. The seat is from the kit, cleaned up and cut down a bit. The rest is 0,5 mm sheet styrene.

CN7_54.jpg

The basic tub glued together and the cushioned seat sides made as well as the base for the instrument panel.

CN7_55.jpg

With side edges added and a lot of trial fitting and adjustments against the body the parts look like this. I can now build and paint the whole cockpit separately and push it into a fixed position with the nose section all completed on the finished body.

CN7_56.jpg

Here are the separate parts as far as I have come now. The steering wheel and column must be built as well as all detailing on the instrument panel. I can also spray the inside of the nose section and body with Alclad and glue them together.

CN7_57.jpg

• Like 5

Great work Jorgen, I like the way you tackled the intake curvature and the cockpit tub. The gringing and sanding of the cockpit dome must have called for some breath holding momnets?

Colin

• Like 1

Today I eventually got to sit down and get some progress done. First I sprayed primer on the nose area to be painted aluminium.

CN7_58.jpg

Then I started working on the instrument panel. This will not be very sophisticated but hopefully good enough down there. Here are the first pieces glued.

CN7_59.jpg

And here's a start on the steering wheel.

CN7_60.jpg

This is 0,25 and 0,5 mm styrene, now ready to cut out.

CN7_61.jpg

Here's the finished product. It's ridiculously fragile...

CN7_62.jpg

With the first glued pieces cured the instrument panel could be cleaned up and the smaller details added. With some good decals after painting it should do the job.

CN7_63.jpg

With all the nesseccary cockpit parts done, except the seat belt which will be from a photo etched after market set, there's only the important Mr. Whoppit left. I drew his outlines on 2 mm styrene, cut him out and started to do some rough shaping. Then I had to add a little filler.

CN7_64.jpg

With the filler cured I did a little more sanding and added his jacket made from wine bottle foil. He could also be better made, but again I think when painted it will be sufficient deep down in the cockpit.

CN7_65.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

How did I miss this??

Another masterpiece in the making Jorgen. I love the work you've done so far.

The colour for Bluebird is RAL 5009 - Azure blue. I had Hiroboy mix me some up and it looks good. I got this info from the K7 restoration website - the shade is a blue with green in it.

I've just got to buy this kit now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This made me laugh:

Weathering on Yellow Submarines, debates on the correct size of scratch built Mr. Whoppits, no one else does posts like you Jurgen, outstanding.

Fantastic work and a real pleasure reading through and looking at the photos. This is how to make masterpieces.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How did I miss this??

The colour for Bluebird is RAL 5009 - Azure blue. I had Hiroboy mix me some up and it looks good. I got this info from the K7 restoration website - the shade is a blue with green in it.

Having looked at the K7 restoration site I wonder whether they mean Campbell (or his team) selected the colour from the German RAL standard shades or that they bought paint they liked that happens to match that colour? There were several earlier layers of paint on K7 that are different shades. Is it certain that CN7 was painted in exactly the same colour as K7s final coat?

Anyway, fascinating stuff and an excellent build of a beautiful machine.

• Like 1

Is it certain that CN7 was painted in exactly the same colour as K7s final coat?

In short.....NO. I wasn't there when they painted either machine, so it's always going to be best guess. The reference to RAL 5009 is the only time I have found any indication of a shade of blue used for any Bluebird from any era after many hours trawling the net and looking through the various books I have. It's clear the shade did vary, but at least 5009 is a good starting point. The issue is when it's photographed in different light, it changes its shade dramatically.....

The various shades used on K7....

differentblues-vi.jpg

A pic showing the forward panel from crashed CN7....this photo suggests that the paint on the 1969 restored CN7 closely matches the original paint seen on 1960 car....

gersDWalesRBowmanandNHolloway1-vi.jpg

Edited by The Sheene Machine
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having looked at the K7 restoration site I wonder whether they mean Campbell (or his team) selected the colour from the German RAL standard shades or that they bought paint they liked that happens to match that colour? There were several earlier layers of paint on K7 that are different shades. Is it certain that CN7 was painted in exactly the same colour as K7s final coat?

Anyway, fascinating stuff and an excellent build of a beautiful machine.

HI there! Mike from The Bluebird Project here. RAL 5009 is a match to the original paint used- we don't suggest, or know, that Campbell chose from an actual RAL chart!

Wouldn't like to say what went onto CN7- it's not something we know much of anything about.

Here for anyone who's not seen it is our piece on the colour- (forum registration required to see the images- everyone welcome)

http://www.bluebirdproject.com/message/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=404

• Like 1