Saudi Arabia "RSAF" English Electric Lightning Gate Guardian

Hello All,

As in the title I am still not too sure what to make for this one as I have a few options. I will list them below and see what everyone thinks. I love the paint work some of the RSAF's aircraft have, I will try to replicate it to the best of my abilities in 1/144! Yay! Onto the first candiate.

15962472618_e78d6860ef_b.jpg

The first one, and the one I am leaning the most to is the Hawk. Not the display team The Saudi Hawks (Wiki link) but an actual training aircraft. Altho the Saudi Hawks is also an option, the bottom one is an Hawk from Oman. I am also going to build that one at the same time... possibly. I will be using the Retrowings/OZ Models 1/144 kit.

15527587174_ec5fe88c77_b.jpg

Got this kit a little while ago, been looking forward to building it. :)

15530182473_1835977d5a_b.jpg

This is my second option, but I will be going it the camo scheme, NMF doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I just noticed that there is a MiG-21 in the top of the picture... Go have him Lightning! :P I got this kit as part of a "job lot" on ebay with 5 other models. I put a £20 in max bid for the lot and won. So I got this classic for £3.30-ish and it was still sealed! How cool is that?!

The other options I haven't shown because either I dont have the kit yet, or could find the kit. My other options are a Tornado GR.1/4 OR F.3. Then I could always do an E-3A, but the decals would be bothersome. Then I noticed literally 5 minutes ago that I could do a Hawker Hunter, which I have lots of PE/Resin for... all in 1/144 too! I just got to find the kit first.. :/

Thus far I am leaning towards the Hawk... not decided. I will decide next year :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 2

If I remember correctly Mark, and I probably don't. There was an Iterali/Dragon A-6 Intruder and F-18 Hornet. A Dragon "Lock On" set with an F-15e and MiG-29. Dragon Harrier GR5 and the Lightning. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• 1 month later...

Right Guys, I know that I haven't updated this one in a long time. I have been working on it, kinda... I have decided to go with the Lightning. Some people may or may not have seen me ask about this RSAF Tabuk, Saudi Arabia Gate Guardian the website or pictures are not mine so I have linked to them. Hope that is okay?? Anyhow, I have searched high a low, my google fu was not strong with this one. I managed to find a grand total of 6 pictures of it. None of them where high res tho. I spent most of last week measuring it up and trying to get the dimensions from the pictures that I had. So I have managed to come up with this...

16520916902_356ae81b7f_b.jpg

It's a very basic drawing, only using a ruler and a protractor. Can you believe that my school doen't have any drawing tables? How stupid is that? I think I have the basic layout for the base. Best part of building this would be the fact I wouldn't need to paint the cockpit... yay. But I have two questions. Does anyone of a good way to make the cover thing in the canopy window? Second, can anyone identify the badge on the tail?

More to come I hope...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

While searching for a decent link for a photo to use as an example. I found two more pictures, one of them higher res... typical!

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can't see it on that photo, but most likely that of No. 13 Sqn RSAF as in use in the early 1980s (shortly before the type was replaced by F-15C/Ds).

I did have a clear photo of it, and I do apologise as I had to change the picture link (I wasn't allowed to link the website for reasons unknown). But thank you for the help Tom, if I find the picture I will upload it.

Anyhow, I have finally done some work on the Lightning. Due to not needing the cockpit or the wheels this model has literally flew together. I have just realised that I did not have any shots of the model sprues before being assembled, but trust me, I have assembled it from scratch. The kit is really well detailed for it's vintage. I will have to get my hands on one of these again, probably will not be the same price tho. I need to get my hands on some 2mm thick wood or something, think I will have to raid the store cupboard at school >:) Picture time.

17060054866_d0133b0612_b.jpg

16899807279_488829222c_b.jpg

Just need to tidy it up a bit and she should be done really soon. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

BTW, why a 'gate guard'? A few of RSAF Lightnings have got camo while still operational too....

http://www.aviationgraphic.com/airplanes/1778-lightning-f53-53-670-rsaf-ik-74.html

They never flew in this scheme , only nmf.

I've never seen a lightning in this scheme in the flesh only drawings.A bit of a whiff I think

BTW, why a 'gate guard'? A few of RSAF Lightnings have got camo while still operational too....

http://www.aviationgraphic.com/airplanes/1778-lightning-f53-53-670-rsaf-ik-74.html

Just thought it would be something different tbh. I do like the camo scheme, but I will most likely try that on the new Airfix 1/72 model. Looks likes a good model to build.

Good to see you back at this one Dazz. It's a promising and interesting project.

Thank you Col. I hope I don't disappoint you :)

I've never seen a lightning in this scheme in the flesh only drawings.A bit of a whiff I think

I have a picture of a Lightning in the camo scheme but it is a gate guardian (most likely), however I haven't seen any pictures of them in operational use... so I dunno... but I have read that they where never used either...

I had some time over the weekend so I had a little mess around with stuffs. I have ordered some 2mm MDF so I will use that when it turns up, however I was given some 2mm thick card by the father in law (the kind you use for picture frames) and I measured that out to the sizes. I might use the cardboard one instead, it doesn't need to be very strong as the model is only 10cm long (ish) and weighs less than a ants fart. Picture time...

16922100548_e152845a9d_b.jpg

16489758503_8b33521558_b.jpg

Doesn't look too shabby, and the sun came out on Saturday! Imagine that!!

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

All I can say is that Ugo Crisponi (the gent running Aviationgraphic.com and artist who drew that artwork) is never drawing WIFs.

...and that there are plenty of photos that are never published.

Like the stand a lot. I remember seeing the gate guard at Ali Al Salem when driving past it to go to Basra, and it did look in a shabby state. There are a couple of photos of a camo Saudi Lightning in Tim McLellands very detailed book on the aircraft. This does look rather promising, so keep up the good worked achieved so far.

Looking good, and different.

Reference the "ant's fart" would that be black, red or wood ant?

Craig.

I would say a red ant tbh, those are some mean buggers. Always picking on the poor black ants, they haven't hurt anyone... how cruel!!

All I can say is that Ugo Crisponi (the gent running Aviationgraphic.com and artist who drew that artwork) is never drawing WIFs.

...and that there are plenty of photos that are never published.

You know Tom, I have been racking my brain all day about this, and I am certain I have seen a lightning in formation with an Saudi Tornado GR1 in the camo scheme. Can I remember where that picture was? Phah!... it's doing my head in, unfortunately I did not get the time to look for it today as we had 3 servers crash... that was fun trying to sort out... (btw I need to check out Mr. Ugo Crisponi's website out too :) ).

Like the stand a lot. I remember seeing the gate guard at Ali Al Salem when driving past it to go to Basra, and it did look in a shabby state. There are a couple of photos of a camo Saudi Lightning in Tim McLellands very detailed book on the aircraft. This does look rather promising, so keep up the good worked achieved so far.

Thank you Jabba, I did look for the gate guadian at Ali Al Salem, but all I got was a tired looking Lightning on three bricks things. Made me sad really. However I have seen a picture of a few Tornados as a Gate Guardian for a few RSAF sites. Think they will be projects for the future. :) Thank you for the kind words Jabba, much appreciated :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I'll definitely check with Ugo about the reference for that artwork - even more so since it's dated with the year 1970.

That was not only around the time (camouflaged) Hunters served with the RSAF too, but also the times when it was still facing a war in Yemen.

...and well ahead of times any of RSAF Lightnings served as gate guardians... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys, :)

I remember your work on those two nimrod, I really liked them alot, I will be happy if this one turns out half as good as them :)

SAU, I think I will get that sheet or try to make a Saudi Lightning in 1/72. Just got an urge to do one (and possibly a few RAF ones too).

Right I done a little more work on the Lightning today (work has been fun over the last few days).

I got her primed and she looked fine, then I sprayed aluminium on and noticed the dips where I hadn't filled in the holes for the over-wing tanks that well. So I've had to re-apply that. Pictures below...

17060299928_5b8ae9719c_b.jpg

16627867423_4bcf104206_b.jpg

that bloody middle seam hasn't gone neither... bugger.

Hopefully the base will get done tomorrow. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 2

Hello one and all,

Has some time again last night to work on this one and the F-5, got a little bit further. Need to do some more bits to her, but I am getting there. Pictures will follow.

17272162186_ca6b3955b8_b.jpg

The canopy isn't properly set yet, but you get the jist of it. Need to repaint those gun ports.

17297649201_86d7a3cfc7_b.jpg

The painted tissue has worked out a treat (good suggestion Mark!).

17296290752_c77373812b_b.jpg

Thought I would use the cardboard stand I made as a prototype, doesn't look too bad I dont think tbh. I need to paint a few more bits on it and try to get it weathered somehow. But I am happy with it.

Kind Regards,

Dazz