Airfix 1:72 Severn Class Lifeboat (RNLI) ***COMPLETED***

Hi Everyone,

Here is another project for 2015, this one has a deadline as it is another commission build for my step mum's birthday in April.

She is from Cornwall originally and has heard about the Penlee lifeboat tragedy in 1981. She has always liked my previous lifeboat build, which is the current Penlee Severn class lifeboat and so I agreed to build another one for her birthday. I will be getting a display case for the lifeboat as soon as it is completed.

Thanks to cmatthewbacon for sending me the kit, I will be donating to the RNLI as soon as the build is completed. We agreed this in lieu of any payment for the kit.

Anyway here are the photos of the kit as I have primed it.

IMG_6194_zpse1094b21.jpg

IMG_6199_zpsffdc11d9.jpg

IMG_6198_zps734e9de2.jpg

IMG_6197_zps2b46f118.jpg

IMG_6195_zps59be6717.jpg

IMG_6196_zpsc2f7394e.jpg

First update will be following soon as I really have to get a start on this build. I'm hoping to improve on the way I built my previous lifeboat.

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801
  • Like 4

For some strange reason I've always been attracted to this kit. I say strange, as I'm almost strictly an aeroplane-builder, with a piece of armour thrown in every half-decade or so. Good luck with it!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

For some strange reason I've always been attracted to this kit. I say strange, as I'm almost strictly an aeroplane-builder, with a piece of armour thrown in every half-decade or so. Good luck with it!

Regards,

Jason

Nice one Rick. Ive always wanted to build this as well.

Good Luck, watching with interest

:popcorn:

Steve

Cheers guys,

This is the 2nd one of these I have built, so I will be trying to improve upon my previous results.

I will find a picture of the 1st one and post it later.

ATB,

Rick

• Like 1

Hey Rick good luck with your build will you be doing it as a display or as a diorama in water :popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

Hey Beefy.

I'm going to build as a display only as I am going to get a display case from my local model shop for it. I might change my mind but I dunno.

Cheers,

Rick

This now ends my confusion Rick as I remember you finishing your Severn build. All the best with number two!

Oops, maybe I should have explained that this was a 2nd kit to be built when I started the thread :banghead:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well lifeboat number 2 is underway.

Stage 1 is complete - I have assembled the hull sides, stern plate and keel together.

Stage 4 is complete - The main deck has been fitted into the hull.

I have also assembled the 2 display stands so that I can rest the hull on them.

My next task is to paint the main deck and then begin preparing the components to fit to the deck. I am trying to work out how to build the deck house without ruining any paint work. I think my plan will be to assemble the deck house in full on the deck and then paint the exterior (I will paint the interior of the panels first before assembly). I will have to mask off all of the windows for the deck house so that they don't get ruined by the orange paint as they have to be inserted from the outside.

First photos to follow in a couple of days when there is more work to show.

Cheers,

Rick

I've one of these in my pile that I keep getting out to look at and then put it back again.

Watching with interest, it may even snap me out of my current lull… cannot decide on anything to build at the moment.

Great work with the 1st ship I do hear it can be a bit of a handful to work on.

• Like 1

Nice work on your first build there Rick looking forward to see how you tackle this one :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

Thanks Beefy,

I have barely started this one so will be a few days before I get any serious progress on this kit.

I've one of these in my pile that I keep getting out to look at and then put it back again.

Watching with interest, it may even snap me out of my current lull… cannot decide on anything to build at the moment.

Great work with the 1st ship I do hear it can be a bit of a handful to work on.

Well hopefully I will make it interesting enough that you can get your kit out of the stash.

Thanks for the compliment on the 1st boat, it was fun build and I have been looking forward to building this one for a while.

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 1

Hi Rick, you did a cracking job on the first one, I remember it well. With what you learnt on that one, this should be a stunner, and the RNLI will benefit greatly from it.

Look forward to seeing your progress, all the best, Ray

• Like 1

Hi Rick, you did a cracking job on the first one, I remember it well. With what you learnt on that one, this should be a stunner, and the RNLI will benefit greatly from it.

Look forward to seeing your progress, all the best, Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks very much.

I will be spending most of tomorrow on this build to get this one progressed before I have to work next weekend so can't do any work on it.....

I will post some photos tomorrow.

All the best,

Rick

Tomorrow's tasks :

1) Paint and install all interior components

2) Paint and install all superstructure components

3) Build all primary superstructure components on boat hull (without gluing down) and then remove once set and paint before installing windows

4) Paint all superstructure components (crane, y-boat etc) and install

I'm hoping to complete all of these tasks, so think I better make an early start tomorrow.

Photos tomorrow.

ATB,

Rick

Task list is well underway.

All components painted for stages 1 and 2 of my task list, as soon as they are dry I will be getting on with the installation of them all.

Still hoping to get all of that done today, but we shall see.

Expect lots of photos later today.

Rick

Work on this build didn't go as well as I had planned.

I have completed all stages of the interior and got the components installed.

When it came to building the superstructure on the boat but not glued to the deck, it didn't work.

I am now going to paint all of the superstructure components, fit the windows etc after painting and then glue them together on the boat as the instructions say to.

I have got photos of the completed steps which I will post the next time I go on my laptop, but it probably won't be tonight.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Here is the first update for this build, sorry for the delay.

Stage 1 - Hull Construction

Stage%201%20-%20Hull%20Assembled_zps4pnm

Stage 4 Part 1 Deck Installed

Stage%204%20Part%201-%20Deck%20Installed

Stage 4 Part 1 Deck Painted

Stage%204%20Part%201-%20Deck%20Painted_z

Stage 4 Part 2

Stage%204%20Part%202_zpsuq0fj8ed.jpg

Hull Painting (edges to be painted and touched up)

Hull%20Painting%201_zpshilorlop.jpg

Hull%20Painting%202_zpsqdshiogh.jpg

Stage 5

Stage%205_zps7kber6zs.jpg

Stage 6

Stage%206_zps8mzcgrpk.jpg

Stages 7 & 8

Stage%207%20%208_zpsoo1nijkd.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone, I will be doing some more work on this build over the weekend.

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 4

Hi Everyone,

Here is the 2nd update for this build.

I have managed to build the superstructure for this boat, mainly off the boat. I positioned the deck and walls for the rear half of the superstructure along with the main sides of the superstructure, and the main roof before taking them off once the glue had set. I then completed the assembly off the boat.

The fit of the superstructure is perfect as you can see from the 3rd photo. Here are the photos for this update.

Stages 9 - 13

Stage%209%20-%2013%20bow%20on_zpshaab4qg

Stage%209%20-%2013%20stern%20on_zpslhscx

Superstructure test fit

Superstructure%20test%20fit_zps91akjjni.

The hull is masked up again ready for the black edges to be painted.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 2