Church Fenton heads up

Dave Wilson

Sat 3rd Jan is the first day of opening of Church Fenton in it's new guise as a civvy airfield. (I know it was news to me too). There's a fly in from 1000 till 1600, £10 landing fee with a free breakfast for the pilot. There will be an aerobatics display subject to weather of course by Tom Cassel at 1300. Safety com on approach 135.475 and ground will be on 126.5. Runway will be 24R or 06L.

Great news for GA if this historic airfield is going to stay open. I'll be there weather permitting in Bravo Fox; will be glad to say hello if any of you can make it.

Edited by Dave Wilson

Hello Dave,

I would have jumped at the chance to come over to see that happening but can't {in bed sickly }.

I REALLY would have come over as MY late Uncle who was in the RAF was based there and other Air forces bases

Around there and lincolnshire BUT I WAS TOLD he was stationed there when he got married to MY Aunt..

{apparently he only had two days to get over to YORKSHIRE from there , and he told ME he hitched, walked, ran, stumbled to get back in time to marry and get back to CHURCH FENTON ... Before going on sorties... }

I hope the weather is sunnier and not frosty or snowy and you are able to get up there..

I would have said hello no doubt.. :clap2:

Will someone or you be taking photographs of this occasion for memory and posterity ..if so will you

Be kind enough to post them here(aviation photography ) so I can see what I missed. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Mr Wilson, have a great day and have a safe flight...

By the way what is GA.THANK YOU

HOUSTON. :pilot:

GA=general aviation. Any flight that isn't a scheduled air service or military. So anything from hang gliders to bizjets. It's by far the biggest segment of aviation and what most of the world's airports are there for.

Edited by Dave Wilson
  • Like 1

Here is something that was doing the rounds on FB for those that might be able to attend.

FentonRevival_zps61c8c667.jpg

I wish I could get there, particularly by air. Sadly the AEF I fly for is closed until the the following week so I can't get hold of a Tutor to fly-in with. Lots of good memories of Fenton as I, like Fritag, did my flying training at the Station. I only hope that they can preserve lots of the site for future generations to visit. And I wish the company involved lots of success in keeping the Station open for general aviation - wouldn't it be great to have an "IWM Duxford North"?

• Like 2

IMPORTANT UPDATE. The event wil now be on Sunday the 4th due to forecast bad weather on the Saturday. (Doesn't look that bad to me personally, still going flying tomorrow)

Don't know Speedbird TBH, you could try looking at the website on the poster that Roland put up.

Can't make Sunday as it is SWMBO birthday and I will likely be executed without trial if I go flying.

• Like 1

I passed by back in 1986 while driving up to York for a weeks hol. I remember a nice line up of JPs viewed from one of the crash gates. Also the gate guard Spitfire was still there and one of my prime reasons to stop off. This Spit is now well known at Duxford as a flyer, BM597 JH-C.

I wish I'd been able to go seeing as I only live about 30 mins away these days. Somewhat ironically I'd been down to Norfolk and passed another 'ex' RAF base I have happy memories of - now HM Prison Bure......

Wonder what they're thinking about this development at Sherburn?

This is Great News (with Capital's!) Church Fenton is a lovely airfield! I spent a very happy ATC summer Camp there in (I think) '69 '(' In the year 4545' was current if that ties it down) I do recollect the Spit was there then. The Chippies were of course, though we didn't fly. I don't recollect why.

Diverting slightly..... Paul J. Am I right you were at Bruggen with the ATC in 70?

I was and have my photos of Ltngs outside a very hot 431MU to prove it! I may have taken your avatar photo, you never know!

Anyway Church Fenton ...........that Chief Tech's pretty daughter, ohh!.teenage trauma!...........Well, I was only 16!