Airfix 4.5 litre Bentley

kpnuts

Well I got some rivets, nuts and braided hoses today for detailing her also found an old base from the Christie steam fire engine which was too badly broken to be repaired and anyway I've stolen lots of bits off it for other dios, so thought since its cobbled stones it would be good as a base for the Bentley. I've filled sanded and primed the people for the base as well.

wnW5wSD.jpg

mFKo7Uz.jpg

3Nd7FzS.jpg

cOD769a.jpg

5ff3YGq.jpg

Great work, this build is taking me back on a time warp too, 1973, my newly married ex gave it me for Christmas, motorized as well. Finished it in 2 weeks, sod the painting just wanted to see it go across the floor, which it did a few times before falling apart. the figures too, those are a 50 plus year warp.

Coming along nicely so far, Ken. :thumbsup2:

A word of advice for later on in the build. The rear axle is not glued in place to the rear springs until the propshaft is fitted. However, it is very difficult to get glue on the right places because the rear brake drums are in the way. You might want to leave off the brake drums until after glueing the axle or perhaps fit the axle to the springs using tiny screws or rod. I did neither and after a few days the axle broke away from the springs causing chaos!

Dave

Thanks, not sure how I will remove the stubs from the rivets,

xmwxykU.jpg

I'm sure I will figure it out before I need them though.

Anyway here is the progress today.

GX3MFYi.jpg

rO3raKd.jpg

1s9LruP.jpg

G5BKx5O.jpg

MU2qEzb.jpg

zL1o2gI.jpg

9o8R9ch.jpg

HQ2IN7W.jpg

6SVMVyc.jpg

pHWcIMO.jpg

M6Th3tT.jpg

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 1

Nice rivet work. I use some small side cutters to nip the shanks off metal rivets. I have switched to the decal type now but I'm not sure if they do them big enough for 1/12.

I know it is subjective but I think your green is a bit on the light side. These cars were almost a black-green.

Steve.

Thanks, I keep being told that but it's the call out on the instructions and looks like the colour on the box art, it's too late to change it now any way.

Nice rivet work. I use some small side cutters to nip the shanks off metal rivets. I have switched to the decal type now but I'm not sure if they do them big enough for 1/12.

I know it is subjective but I think your green is a bit on the light side. These cars were almost a black-green.

Steve.

British Racing Green comes/came in multiple shades. I've seen some of the very original BRG and it wasn't very dark at all.

British Racing Green comes/came in multiple shades. I've seen some of the very original BRG and it wasn't very dark at all.

I do agree with the above statement wholeheartedly. The point I was making is that these cars in particular were a very dark green. I have seen numerous examples whilst at VSCC and other vintage racing events and this pic is pretty typical of the subject.

I appreciate that this model is already painted and will not be changing but just for future reference.

1930BentleyBlowerTimBirkinBentleyBoy1_zp

Well, not quite, it is a dark green, tending to very dark, not towards the brighter shades. Not one of the current Bentleys on the scene today has not been repainted at least once in its life. The original BRG I inspected was the paint applied to the 1903 Napier of S.F.Edge. This was the first car to carry the green which was to become known as British Racing Green.

Hi all I am sure this brg will be a constant thing of debate but as has been said my decision was already made so,on with the show, here is tonights update, I made the mistake for deciding to replace the plastic spokes with real ones, I am going to live to regret that decision

3aNHW11.jpg

1kdUXy8.jpg

Yhw3wgd.jpg

BYTdwzE.jpg

Hi its florists wire, well here is half of the first wheel spoked(yes I know its not pretty) but lessons learned and it can go on the side nearest the wall in the dio so wont be seen.

sgkrB2b.jpg
mNyyp6V.jpg
and here is some progress on the car
ATiTP9A.jpg
aSK4Csd.jpg

Hi all here is tonight's bit. I have cut off the steering column (not my idea got it from stevieo) and replaced it with part of my extending mirror.

0ckVsVj.jpg

b1zhWh4.jpg

xTTEUfg.jpg

and here is more progress on the rest

j8g2O13.jpg

gefUblv.jpg

6UD18xn.jpg

ojvcdqs.jpg

XYr1LFb.jpg

WvcYKf2.jpg

I understand these car bodys were covered with cloth and am thinking of covering it with paper and painting that, do you think that would give a clothe effect finish.

I used real cloth on mine.

It wasn't that difficult. I cut pieces of paper as a template, cut the cloth (fine weave) about 10mm bigger all round, used permanent spray adhesive on the body and then stuck the cloth on.

Let it dry, trim the edges with a new blade, and paint...

The naff camera I used at the time had a very bright flash, hence the lighter green look.

The model is actually quite a dark green.

Roy.

Image1_zps20a61172.jpg

Image4_zps2b85c9a8.jpg

• Like 1