De Havilland Sea Vixen FAW1 - 890NAS, HMS Ark Royal 1963-4

One more photo, just because I love this aircraft; what a stonking machine (and it hasn't even got any wings yet)!

There were some great shapes piercing the skies in those days.........

You're teasing us now Crisp. It may be a bit pot to kettle - but best foot forward and get it all glued together and some paint on it that man :)

• Like 2

I will, I will - but don't be too suckered in by that splendid looking De Havilland profile; there's still a fair amount of fettling to be done to get the booms to fit properly underneath, sort the nose, build & fit the PE flaps, etc. before we get into primer and paint land.

There's also the issue that my working life is utterly mad at present so time at the workbench is at a premium - not to mention the fact that my Ark Royal is starting to whimper at me from the sidelines, complaining that she is being neglected!

In short, have patience, man!

Anyway, where's your Hawk build, then?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

When I bought this kit, I purchased the Eduard "Big Ed" set, which contains masks, cockpit stuff and other detailing PE. One of the sets is called "Sea Vixen folded wing, landing flaps". Without really thinking about it, because of the title, I guess I must have assumed it only had details for the flaps if the wing was folded... and I am building this aircraft with spread wings.

But that's nonsense, if you give it more than a nano-second of thought; the Vixen, like most Naval aircraft, had some pretty major flap action going on in order to try to get the landing speed as low as possible - but there's no way the flaps would be deployed when the wings were folded, is there? You'd just damage the things.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I finally appreciated this Earth-shattering example of the Bleedin' Obvious, and broke open the Eduard set. It meant I had to do some retrospective removal of Airfix's detail inside the (already built) inner wings, but thanks to the rather excellent chisels I bought at Yeovilton yesterday, that wasn't too bad.

First a reminder of what the pre-chiselling flap bays looked like (old pic from when I was fixing the lower boom):

D3721E3F-20D7-4643-A142-147D0CE5A820_zps

Then post chisel work today (don't panic, the PE flaps cover up those gouge marks!):

8BCBB6B2-0194-45B6-9224-70E46881E628_zps

Then the outer wings, before and after (removing the detail much easier on the un-assembled parts, which serves me right!):

C8FA123E-74AD-4679-95CA-84B8A9998789_zps

I am experimenting with Gator glue (another new purchase, though not from VL), and it seems to work nicely with PE - good grip, but some time to get the thing manoeuvred into position).

Anyway, as with most PE work, it's intricate and needs patience; I reckon this is going to take me several sessions - there are three flaps per wing. The first one (port wing, outer flap, as it happens) is pretty much done, and I certainly think it is an improvement - first a shot with just the upper wing part in use (unforgiving, as close-ups always seem to be!):

70D52987-A646-4E44-B246-A078CED7EB4C_zps

...and then with the wing taped in position to check that it all fits together:

D972A7AA-B8D9-4DC8-BF95-497D90C7DE04_zps

Finally, since I have had to remove the out wings from their sprue in order to do this flap malarkey, I just had to see what she looks like with wings in place (this was done before I started flapping about).

This is a really excellent kit (conversion or not) - I can see why people said it was such a step forward on Airfix's part; the fit is very good indeed. This is with nothing other than gravity holding the wings in place; the hinges will me much neater once the wings are properly fitted.

D66F9DD0-9797-4EF6-8A42-76B0695BFAEE_zps

But what a beautiful aircraft; one of the great wing forms, in my opinion - and so much prettier without the extended tanks of the FAW2.

More soon.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

Those flaps really do look much better with the Eduard set, I think I need it for my Vixen when I come to build it. For those who do want to build their model with the wings folded and the flaps down, this is actually possible on the real aircraft to allow for maintenance on board ship. This is achieved by disconnecting the flaps from the aircraft's hydraulic system and lowering them manually.

Anyway, great work and it getting my kit much further up the "to build" pile.

Martin

Presumably there must have been some way of lowering them separately (i.e. independently) for maintenance; lowering the outer flaps with the wings folded would have resulted in an expensive crumpling noise. But I take your point; same with the main undercarriage doors; they closed up again after the main wheels had lowered, but could be lowered on deck to provide access to the undercarriage bays. Like lots of aircraft, the doors also drooped when hydraulic pressure bled off; the FAW2 at the FAA Museum has its main doors tied up with rope! (I checked yesterday - I assume there has been no hydraulic pressure on that beastie for about 40 years. Last time I went the tyres were flat, too, so I was glad to see someone had fixed that yesterday.).

The Museum officially depresses me nowadays (not really - I love it!), because both the Lynx and the Sea King airframes that are there appear in my log book (as does the Gazelle which is in the reserve collection). I am officially a museum piece.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

Museum piece and a grumpy old britmodeller as well eh? Now you're depressing me too.....

Excellent and interesting work as always Crisp.

This gator glue stuff gets good press - I know Melchie swears by it as well. I failed to find any at Huddersfield - best get on to google :)

P.S. ...and another one showing the starboard intake in place (again, dry fitted). I have to say Ali did a stunning job with this conversion; it fits very very well.

941E7B48-8739-4735-AD38-97A9AEF9833B_zps

Can't help thinking of Thunderbirds 2 when I see this photo!

Lovely work on the flaps. PE is a real pain, but when it works... it WORKS!

• Like 4

Not much visible progress this week - been busy for most of the weekend so only got about an hour of modelling time.

I primed the flap that I completed last week with Mr Metal Primer, and then did a test by priming the whole wing (which isn't actually glued together yet) with Tamiya white primer from a rattle can. I have had some issues with PE and paint in the past, but am now satisfied that the PE holds the paint nicely when it has the Mr Metal Primer done first. You can also see the next flap, which is about 75% complete, alongside it. It definitely pays not to rush this stuff, so that was pretty much my hour done.

41B68D1A-B033-40DA-877D-FB2E60A0E874_zps

The only other thing I been doing is to work on the joins between tail boom and wing; lots of Perfect Plastic Putty action. Now I have given that too a blast of Tamiya primer to search for any remaining gaps etc. This photo was taken immediately after painting, so it's still wet here... but even this early i can see some areas at the leading edge that need more work.

1334B896-6AD4-4E32-98FE-BCE093B397D4_zps

It's not very sexy or fast moving, this bit of the build - but every hour spent now getting joins filled and PE done properly will pay off big time at the end; I hate having to go backwards and fettle when I feel I am ready to paint at the end of build. Much rather do it now.

More soon.

C

P.S. If you are wondering what the random spare tail booms are doing on the left, it's because I want to do a bit of test painting (and, especially, weathering) away from the actual aircraft, so I am using the two FAW2 booms as paint fodder.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

I just painted it on with a hairy stick, after cleaning off the surplus Gator Glue - you can see on the un-painted one flap that the glue needs a bit of removal, but Gater Glue is so easy to get off (with water and/or a cocktail stick) that a clannish base is pretty easy to achieve.

Edit: "clannish..."? That is an auto-correct entry (the perks of posting from an iPad!). I am trying to work out what I actually meant to write, but failing. Gator Glue is pretty easy to remove (brush wet with water when the glue us wet, and/or cocktail stick when dry), and you get a decent base coat of primer.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Hmm. I just can't seem to get paint to hang on to etch. Seems like the slightest flex on the etch and the paint cracks and pings off. Have to try the Mr Metal Primer - and the gator glue - and.........the list gets longer..........:)

I share your pain re flexing PE - hence these tests. I suspect it will always ping off if the PE moves; I am no scientist, but the chemical bond between paint & plastic is doubtless much stronger than paint & brass / nickel steel, and I guess relatively thick plastic / resin doesn't flex to anything like the same degree that thin metal does.

That's why I will only paint these flap bays once they are well & truly installed; if they flex once they are inside a rigid wing, then I am being way too brutal with the model. That's the theory, anyway!

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip about Mr Metal Primer. The Sea Vixen is coming along nicely, even though I'm ex Crab I have a soft spot for the Vixen as we had a few at RAF Halton so us Appos could get some wing fold experience. I loved hiding in the coal hole after a hard night in the Naafi!

Duncan B

• Like 1

I've looked through your pics to find a shot of this fabled 'Gator Glue'. Is there a chance you could show a pic of the bottle? All I can find in shops is some PU wood glue that cures with moisture - I assume yours is a PVA-type glue.

I agree with your view of the Sea Vixen - it's a beast! I saw a YouTube vid of them being catapulted from some carrier and the wings seemed to fill the width of the bow.

Wow this looks fabulous, cracking build so far. I did one of these with the FAW1 conversion and enjoyed it immensely. The eduard set also really takes yours to another dimension. Keep up the good work

All the best
Chris

• Like 1

Presumably there must have been some way of lowering them separately (i.e. independently) for maintenance; lowering the outer flaps with the wings folded would have resulted in an expensive crumpling noise. But I take your point; same with the main undercarriage doors; they closed up again after the main wheels had lowered, but could be lowered on deck to provide access to the undercarriage bays. Like lots of aircraft, the doors also drooped when hydraulic pressure bled off; the FAW2 at the FAA Museum has its main doors tied up with rope! (I checked yesterday - I assume there has been no hydraulic pressure on that beastie for about 40 years. Last time I went the tyres were flat, too, so I was glad to see someone had fixed that yesterday.).

The Museum officially depresses me nowadays (not really - I love it!), because both the Lynx and the Sea King airframes that are there appear in my log book (as does the Gazelle which is in the reserve collection). I am officially a museum piece.

Know how you feel, Saw the Harrier GR3 at the RAF museum, I was on the Squadron the day it was delivered shiny bright and new from the factory.

God I feel old!

Selwyn

• Like 2

Another great build. Sorry I'm late on parade....

I do have a soft spot for the old twin-boomers, it was an Airfix Vampire given to me by my Dad as a kid that got me hooked, not just on modelling, but also aviation!

My current build is a slightly earlier (RNAS!) machine, the Short 184.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

But of course:

53BF437D-5F05-41D7-9B8C-74C0B00253C3_zps

I have seen the error of my mistakes - and other mixed metaphors. I was looking at Gorilla glue, when it should've been Gator Grip.

I have admonished myself thoroughly. Gorillas, Gators; what's the difference?

• Like 3

Nice work I have always loved the Sea Vixen one of my faves but still not got around to making one yet or seen one of these being made so ill be watching. The only one I have is the old frog on the stash I would like to do one of these though.

Looks like a nice kit.

Rob :)