HMS Barham, March 1941.

MikeR

Here's my last completion for 2014, Trumpeter's 1/700 scale model of the HMS Barham modified to represent the ship at the time of the Battle of Cape Matapan.

Colourcoats used for the AP507B and AP507C camouflage pattern with Teak and AP507A used for the decks and the RN White for the stripe on the mainmast and blast bags. WEM's etch for the kit was also used, although I substituted Quad Pom Poms for the Octuples on the bridge structure using photos as reference. The modifications to change from as sunk to Matapan condition mainly consisted of changing the platform on "B" turret to have an UP projector instead of the quad '50 and leaving off the forward AA platform that was also mounted on "B" turret as well as the one on "Y" turret. The Walrus was painted using Humbrol enamels and actually has the countershading on the lower wing as per the biplane version of the Temperate Sea Scheme. The roundels were sourced from Tamiya's 1/700 Repulse as the kit supplied ones were too big (1/350?) and the wrong style.

Before painting:

HMS Barham 00

Walrus:

Mini-Me Walrus 00

After painting:

HMS Barham 00a

HMS Barham 01

HMS Barham 02

HMS Barham 03

HMS Barham 04

HMS Barham 05

HMS Barham 06

As always, comments and criticism welcome! :thumbsup2:

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 25

Great build Mike.

Looks like you have had a good time with the etching, nice finish and I assume you will be placing this great build on water.

Plus the railings.

foxy :coolio:

Nah, don't do railings or sea bases! Personal choice for durability and space considerations respectively. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, though! B)

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR