Scottish Pilots and their Aircraft WWI

Beardie

Hi all ,

I wonder if anyone out there can help me with information and any pictures of Scottish WWI pilots and their aircraft.

I haven't got much in the way of reference material myself but have a desire to pay plastic tribute to the guys from my home country who gave their all in the skies over France in WWI.

Any and all information will be very much appreciated and maybe similar threads for Irish, Welsh, English, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand etc. aviators would be good for those wishing to pool information on aviators from their homelands.

Beardie,

Try and get hold of the series of books "Airfields & Airmen" by the late Mike O'Conner.

They have lots of very interesting photographs of the airmen , their aircraft and the airfields they flew from.

I have the full set and am pretty sure there are various references to pilots from Bonnie Scotland, along with those from other countries.

I only have the "Cambrai" edition in front of me right now but there is a reference to 2nd Lt Will Lawrence , younger brother of T E Lawrence, who was born in Kirkcudbright on 10/12/1889.He was the observer in BE2c, 2017 which was shot down by Hans- Joachim Buddecke on 23/10/15.

In the same volume, mention is made of Capt Guy Lindsay Cruikshank DSO MC of the Gordon Highlanders- Morane Parasol/ Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter pilot, page 133.

Major Alastair C B Geddes p164.

Hope this starts your research in the right direction?

Good luck with your modelling projects!

"Shakey"

A quick browse through "In the Footsteps of the Red Baron" by Mike O'Connor and Norman Franks shows a number of Scottish aircrew were amongst the casualties of von Richtofen.

2nd Lt E Byrne 2 Squadron

2nd Lt K MacKenzie 16 Squadron

G. MacDonald Watt 16 Squadron

2nd Lt J G Cameron 12 Squadron

2nd Lt G Doughty 18 Squadron

• 1 year later...

I only have the "Cambrai" edition in front of me right now but there is a reference to 2nd Lt Will Lawrence , younger brother of T E Lawrence, who was born in Kirkcudbright on 10/12/1889.He was the observer in BE2c, 2017 which was shot down by Hans- Joachim Buddecke on 23/10/15.

Just as an aside, Lawrence and Marks BE2c is contained in the forthcoming Airfix Dogfight Double kit.

You might find 'Above the Trenches' by Shores and Franks and its supplement useful, it does contain a limited number of illustrations and some aircraft serials. See amazon for details.

"A comprehensive guide to the aces of the British Empire fighting scout units during World War I. It gives biographies of 800 British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, South African and American pilots."

Peter